Your experience with bringing on wine at San Pedro?

TipsyT

In Fort Lauderdale last year I knew people who slapped luggage tags on cases of wine and even cases including mixtures of wine, hard liquor and beer and then gave them to the porters at the pier. It was all delivered to their staterooms with not a word said.

Has anyone experienced taking cases of wine, beer or other liquor in a similar manner in LAX/San Pedro recently? I am interested in actual experience (successful or not) and not interested in lectures about Princess written policies.

Thanks!

------------

"Never let a person who doesn't have the power to tell you yes tell you no."

In April they were enforcing their rules completely! No leeway, 1 bottle - 750 ml only per person. Extras you will pay $15 pr bottle corkage fee. If it is not in your carry on bag, and in your luggage, will go to the naughty room and you will have to retrieve it. They mean business in San Pedro !

In Fort Lauderdale last year I knew people who slapped luggage tags on cases of wine and even cases including mixtures of wine, hard liquor and beer and then gave them to the porters at the pier. It was all delivered to their staterooms with not a word said.

Has anyone experienced taking cases of wine, beer or other liquor in a similar manner in LAX/San Pedro recently? I am interested in actual experience (successful or not) and not interested in lectures about Princess written policies.

Thanks!

------------

"Never let a person who doesn't have the power to tell you yes tell you no."

I know in December we brought a box o'wine, but a smaller one that before (because of the limit). It was in a plastic crate with our soft drink bottles.

BTW, Just call it the Port of LA or San Pedro. LAX is the largest airport serving Southern California, but we native Angelenos don't consider it near the port. (personally I think the cruise lines and Amtrak confuse people by using LAX when referring to locations away from the airport)

Re: Post #2 - enforcement in April. That was only on the Golden Princess.

We boarded the Coral in San Pedro April 20th. No enforcement whatsoever. Nobody checked; nobody cared. We had wine; more than what we should have had.

We boarded Sapphire in May, and they were directing people with wine in their carryons to a separate table to check them.

Our friends had a bottle in one of their checked bags and received a note telling them that they might be in contact with them later. I guess they were going to see if our friends had checked any bottles from their carryon luggage.

Same in Seattle, so they seem to be enforcing it.....at least in those two ports.

I'll find out about Houston in November.

We too were on the Coral, April 20th, out of San Pedro and had 10 bottles of wine in our carry-on. We were prepared to pay our corkage fee but no one even asked.

I too would like to know about cruises out of SP since then (other than the Golden). I would like to know if boxes and or larger bottles are excepted if you pay the proper fees???

We too were on the Coral, April 20th, out of San Pedro and had 10 bottles of wine in our carry-on. We were prepared to pay our corkage fee but no one even asked.

I too would like to know about cruises out of SP since then (other than the Golden). I would like to know if boxes and or larger bottles are excepted if you pay the proper fees???

Hi Barb,

Oh, haven't heard from you in ages! Glad to hear no wine issues in San Pedro..Mom and I depart from there on Oct. 21....I'll put the extra wine in her carryon!!

Debbie

In April they were enforcing their rules completely! No leeway, 1 bottle - 750 ml only per person. Extras you will pay $15 pr bottle corkage fee. If it is not in your carry on bag, and in your luggage, will go to the naughty room and you will have to retrieve it. They mean business in San Pedro !

That was my experience as well. San Pedro was the first port enforcing the new policy.

This information is outdated (October 2012 14 day RT Hawaii)

My wife and I each carried a 6 bottle Trader Joe' wine tote on board very openly (not hiding anything.) I had three bottles of wine + one of champagne, my wife had three bottles of wine. Total of six wine and one of champagne. No one said anything.

Does that mean you still have, or just remember, the headache?

:p

LOL :D

That was my experience as well. San Pedro was the first port enforcing the new policy.

And on the Golden only. Don't know what's happening now, but end of April Coral didn't enter into it.

Would like to hear from someone boarding the Coral from SP.

We were at the port in May and there was a sign advising of the alcohol policy before you got to security. Not sure if they were doing anything about it as we had no wine but it was posted.

What about Grand out of S.F. We leave next month for Alaska.

We just went on that cruise last month. DH and I each had one bottle of wine in carry-on bag. When going through security, they ask if you have any wine in you bags. Since we did, we (and anyone else with same) were asked to go to a table on the side of the room. We had to open our bags to show them the wine and also provide our name and cabin number.

Enjoy the cruise! It was really wonderful!!

Hi Barb,

Oh, haven't heard from you in ages! Glad to hear no wine issues in San Pedro..Mom and I depart from there on Oct. 21....I'll put the extra wine in her carryon!!

Debbie

I'll put the extra wine in her carryon!!

:rolleyes:Sure get Mom in trouble, while you walk thru with mini bottles in your bra!!!

We were on the Crown out of Galveston in March and carried on 6 bottles of wine with no questions asked. We have taken a case (12 bottles) on our 10 day cruises out of FLL with the last one being in 2011 and just slapped a baggage tag on the box and checked it. It always showed up in our cabin intact and we have many pleasant memories standing on our balcony in the late afternoon having a nice afternoon nip. It looks like we will be paying to have our wine but worth it. We sail out of SF next month and will find out.

What about Grand out of S.F. We leave next month for Alaska.
We sailed from SF on May 20 aboard the Grand Princess. We had 6 adults in our party and my husband was carrying on the 5 bottles of wine that we all planned to share on our balcony. After his bag went through the scanner, he was directed to a table where he had to open the bag and show the bottles. We then had to produce 5 adult cruise cards and provide the 3 cabin numbers. Nothing was stamped on the bottles.

Archived