Back from Alaska and Grand Princess!

sunluva7

Got my answer by reading other comments...June 29. Another question. Which side of the ship should I book a balcony on. And, are pools open on Alaska cruises? Just in the beginning stages of planning our Alaska cruise and this is all new to us. Looking to stay a few days on land in Alaska so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate.

Got my answer by reading other comments...June 29. Another question. Which side of the ship should I book a balcony on. And, are pools open on Alaska cruises? Just in the beginning stages of planning our Alaska cruise and this is all new to us. Looking to stay a few days on land in Alaska so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate.

Both port and starboard will have great views where there are views to be seen.

However, when there is onboard commentary (such as in Glacier Bay), it will be oriented towards what is on the port side.

Pools are open.

Great review. Thanks. We did the Alaskan cruise on the Grand that sailed on May 30th. We had different ports we went to Sitka and Haines both of which we'd been to before and love. Sitka is actually our favorite port.

I agree about Martyn. He was amazing. In fact the whole experience was wonderful.

I remember when the Grand first came out I had a friend who flew to the East Coast just so he could say he sailed on the world's largest ship.

I was on the Grand in May on the first cruise to Alaska and enjoyed your review of your trip as we didn't get close to the Glacier as the captain told us, too many icebergs to maneuverer around, so perhaps going later is better.

M & G tip...Invite the ship's photographer to attend but have them come about 15-30 minutes after your meeting. You'll have a professional photo of your group. I had one M & G where our group was large and the photographer asked us to go to the atrium for our photo. Even though I give them a letter inviting them to come for a photo I checked with them the day of our meeting just to make sure.

Tom:)

I was on the Grand in May on the first cruise to Alaska and enjoyed your review of your trip as we didn't get close to the Glacier as the captain told us, too many icebergs to maneuverer around, so perhaps going later is better.

We were on the Grand late May/early June and got very close to the glacier. Have been to Glacier bay many times and this was by far the most spectacular. It was overcast and a ranger said the overcast really brings out the colors.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Whatever side of the ship you're on, you'll see one view on the way up and the opposite on the way back. In Glacier Bay, the ship will pivot around so everyone has a view, but the best way to see Glacier Bay - balcony or not - is from up top where you are open to a full view.

Both port and starboard will have great views where there are views to be seen.

However, when there is onboard commentary (such as in Glacier Bay), it will be oriented towards what is on the port side.

Pools are open.

Caribill is right. The naturalist began her narration at 9:00 am, which is from the port side. So if you want to pick one side over the other, port side is best for Glacier Bay. Later in the morning, the ship will pivot to give the other side for a view. However, because glacier calving can take place at any unexpected moment, it's good to be up top where it's easier to move from one side to the other as the ship turns. Even better, stand outside on Promenade Deck all the way forward for a great vantage point.

The covered pool and hot tubs were frequently used by families and kids most sea days, though hubby and I had it to ourselves one day at lunch time. There were a few people seen in the other pools, as well, while the ship was docked as we had warm days in port. All the hot tubs were used frequently, even in the icy region of Glacier Bay.

Movies were shown every night on MUTS while the ship was sailing, and it was pretty chilly out there - as I can attest to. I was dressed all in layers, and when DH had enough, I made him give me his hoodie as well. Surprisingly, and disappointingly, there were no blankets passed out at MUTS. Blankets were only available for Glacier Bay viewing - and believe me, they were very popular!

Great review. Thanks. We did the Alaskan cruise on the Grand that sailed on May 30th. We had different ports we went to Sitka and Haines both of which we'd been to before and love. Sitka is actually our favorite port.

I agree about Martyn. He was amazing. In fact the whole experience was wonderful.

I remember when the Grand first came out I had a friend who flew to the East Coast just so he could say he sailed on the world's largest ship.

Yes, the Grand was the grandest at one time. How times have changed - and not always in a good way.

I hope to visit Sitka on my next Alaska cruise!

M & G tip...Invite the ship's photographer to attend but have them come about 15-30 minutes after your meeting. You'll have a professional photo of your group. I had one M & G where our group was large and the photographer asked us to go to the atrium for our photo. Even though I give them a letter inviting them to come for a photo I checked with them the day of our meeting just to make sure.

Good tip, Tim. And thanks for all the M&G assistance you gave me. The name tags were great, though I had most of them left afterwards because we had so few people come. I forgot all about inviting the photographer. Another woman from our group was there with her high tech digital SLR, but I haven't heard from her to see whether she got a better shot of our group.

I

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Yes, the Grand was the grandest at one time. How times have changed - and not always in a good way.

It's still a grand ship just not the biggest anymore.

I hope to visit Sitka on my next Alaska cruise!

Sitka is a wonderful and unique port. We so loved it we even change the name of our cabin in the mountains to Sitka.

There's a path in the National Park that has amazing views. Of course we always rent a car in ports in Alaska so we can explore the area. In most places you can't get lost you just go from one end of the road to the other but there is spectacular scenery along the way. One year we were there during a time when the waters were thick with salmon. People were pulling them out of the water and tossing them to their friends on the bank.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a very nice review. We have a courtesy hold on a booking for the Grand in June 2014, aft mini suite on Emerald deck. This is the 7 day RT from Seattle. It will be our 2nd time to Alaska. Just a couple of questions; I thought the ship was completely overhauled a couple of years ago and you still noticed wear & tear? The other question, is the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizza & Pub cafe no cost food item's or do they cost like specialty dining venues? I have search CruiseCritic and Princess for a definitive cost answer to no avail.

The other question, is the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizza & Pub cafe no cost food item's or do they cost like specialty dining venues? I have search CruiseCritic and Princess for a definitive cost answer to no avail.

They are free (except for drinks that have a fee).

Thanks for a very nice review. We have a courtesy hold on a booking for the Grand in June 2014, aft mini suite on Emerald deck. This is the 7 day RT from Seattle. It will be our 2nd time to Alaska. Just a couple of questions; I thought the ship was completely overhauled a couple of years ago and you still noticed wear & tear? The other question, is the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizza & Pub cafe no cost food item's or do they cost like specialty dining venues? I have search CruiseCritic and Princess for a definitive cost answer to no avail.

The overhaul removed Skywalker's and revamped public rooms. The word from the on board staff is that the cabins were not redone but according to one highly placed staff member they will be done on the next dry dock. (Sounds like one of those news stories out of D.C.;)) There are people who say it's not possible there are people who say it is. We will have to wait and see.

Thanks Kentskie. I cruised the Grand in the Mediterranean in 2008 & the crew said Skywalkers gave the ship the nickname of a shopping cart design. I don't think I will miss it ;-)

I remember when they were called that. It's an odd design but a great place for views. I always thought that Lorenzo Piano's designs for the old Crown and Regal were odd. DW and I saw one in Alaska and swore we'd never sail on them but never say never. A few years later we were on the Regal and had a splendid time.

I see you've already gotten replies, but I'll just add to those responses. Yes, while the overhaul removed Skywalkers, replacing it with the One5, added the Piazza, International Cafe, Alfredo's and other public areas, they ignored the cabin areas as well as some other public areas like the pools. No, there are no added fees for Alfredo's, International Cafe or the Pub Lunch, which is great because they were all better alternatives to the buffet upstairs IMHO.;)

Enjoy your Alaska cruise next summer!:)

I see you've already gotten replies, but I'll just add to those responses. Yes, while the overhaul removed Skywalkers, replacing it with the One5, added the Piazza, International Cafe, Alfredo's and other public areas, they ignored the cabin areas as well as some other public areas like the pools. No, there are no added fees for Alfredo's, International Cafe or the Pub Lunch, which is great because they were all better alternatives to the buffet upstairs IMHO.;)

Enjoy your Alaska cruise next summer!:)

Thanks so much for the response, Sunluva. The buffet is OK, but I wanted to try the new options for variety and tastier choices.

Archived