Funchal News

I have just been reading the Portuscale Cruising brochure regarding the beautiful M V Funchal's return to cruising.

She absolutely looks magic in her new livery and her first cruise was scheduled for 6 August. I hope she sailed on time and her passengers are enjoying this very special experience.

At last some good news regarding one of the classic ships:)

Hello Folks

She never looked better than in Empresa Insulana de Navegacao livery when I sailed in her in 1962

A splendid ship for more see

http://www.ssmaritime.com/funchal.htm

A pity they could not get rid of a few of the dents and dings that the years have dealt her

Oh well she is still in service so I must not compain

Best Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

On Thurs Cruise Weekly. Funchal has had a hiccup!

Funchal Held in Gothenburg

on 28 August 2013.

The Funchal was being held in Gothenburg at press time, according to Swedish news reports. While said to be fully booked for a cruise to the Norwegian fjords, the ship failed a routine safety inspection.

A statement released by Portuscale Chairman and CEO Rui Alegre said: "We inform our clients and friends that the M/V Funchal is in the port of Gothemburg repairing a technical fault detected but which is properly located and will soon be resolved. The vessel will follow her cruise operation as planned."

According to the Swedish newspaper Expressen, the Funchal’s life-saving appliances failed the inspection; fire fighting equipment that did not work as it should; watertight doors that did close as required; and there were shortcomings in safety training among crew.

A Swedish inspector was quoted as saying that the defects were serious and that it was unusual to find so many shortcomings.

The Funchal is expected to stay in Gothenburg for a few days, while corrections and repairs are being made. Built in 1961, the 9,500-ton, 400-passenger ship recently underwent a drydock and refurbishment before starting service for Portuscale Cruises this year.

Archived