I am not buying anything new for my cruise

McDebbie

I also live in Florida so my wardrobe is cruise clothes . Unfortunately after a long summer I get sick of them so I went shopping yesterday and bought a few wardrobe refreshers .

I live in Florida too, but I am cruising from Boston to Quebec in Oct. So I had to buy a coat and some other clothes for colder weather.

Like a previous poster said, I am helping the economy. ;)

I have to get two new formal dresses. I tend to buy formal pictures and I've gotten all of mine cheap enough that I want something new for a change of pictures!

Plus, if I'm going to parasail, I need a new one-piece.

I always wear something new for embarkation. For most things, I just bring my normal summer sundresses for day and cocktail dresses or dressier sundresses for night. But I just like to have something special for embarkation that I haven't worn to work!

Yes to the sentences in red! I really want something new to wear in my pics! When I online shop for dresses, that leads to shoes and accessories:p I end up buying so much more than I intended.

Mine came in the mail. Check their website. We also got a community paper today that had one in it. I bet there's one at the cash register you can borrow!

Thanks a bunch for the tip! I asked a lady at Customer Service and she keyed it in. Saved me $30!!!

I still need a formal dress but we are staying at the premium outlet in St. Augustine. I should find one there or in Orlando on Friday. BCBG is always filled with dresses for as low as $19 in the off season.

I've heard Carnival is more casual than RCCL so I think I'm good with my sundresses and maxis on most nights. I just want one really nice dress for pretty pics with my two teens. My daughter's a senior and I'm cherishing this last year before she's off to school.

Guest fyree39

I always tell myself that I'm done shopping, especially when I look at my two closets full of clothes! But then I spot a top or a pair of shoes that I love and there goes my promise to not buy anything more. :rolleyes:

I had ignored this thread for a long time because I didn't want to hear about people who had such great self control that they could get by without shopping before a cruise.

I also tend to avoid the threads by people who say they pack a whole weeks worth of clothes in a carry on (although I managed to do that a couple of times for work functions).

But I accidentally clicked on this and have been so happy to see others in the same boat.

I had actually told myself that I wouldn't buy anything new for our fall cruise. But with the steroids I've been taking I'm finding that a lot of my cruise clothes aren't fitting very well.

Now I'm down to 2 1/2 weeks and scrambling to put together enough clothes Tec that will fit.

I recently bought a black dress that I wanted to save for our Hawaiian cruise next spring. We'll be cruising then with the same group that we'll travel with next month. So I really don't want to take the same thing both times.

I just ran out to Party City to look at what they had in the store for some door décor. I had forgotten that there is an Ashley Stewarts next door. I bought 3 new dresses, a necklace, and a cami. I still didn't buy anything for the door.

I also got my elegant nights covered this week when on a local buy sell trade face book group a lady was offering some plus size outfits for sale for $1-$5. Her casual stuff wasn't my style, but I bought 3 formals.

I always tell myself that I'm done shopping, especially when I look at my two closets full of clothes! But then I spot a top or a pair of shoes that I love and there goes my promise to not buy anything more. :rolleyes:

Me too! I have a closet full of "cruise clothes."

Thanks a bunch for the tip! I asked a lady at Customer Service and she keyed it in. Saved me $30!!!

I still need a formal dress but we are staying at the premium outlet in St. Augustine. I should find one there or in Orlando on Friday. BCBG is always filled with dresses for as low as $19 in the off season.

I've heard Carnival is more casual than RCCL so I think I'm good with my sundresses and maxis on most nights. I just want one really nice dress for pretty pics with my two teens. My daughter's a senior and I'm cherishing this last year before she's off to school.

have a wonderful time! I hit Kohl's today and bought exciting things like underwear. WHen I got home, there was ANOTHER yes pass in the mail for 20% off but the dates are when I am gone cruisin'.

I may have stopped shopping for my next cruise without trying. I've been out shopping twice in the last few days and have not bought anything - at all - zero - zilch - nada - nothing! I saw a few things I liked but not the price and the few that were a good price were in colors that did not go with my cruisewear. I did try on one dress I really liked but we did not do anything for each other so we parted ways.

So, I might really be done after 21 months on shopping. How sad!:(

I may have stopped shopping for my next cruise without trying. I've been out shopping twice in the last few days and have not bought anything - at all - zero - zilch - nada - nothing! I saw a few things I liked but not the price and the few that were a good price were in colors that did not go with my cruisewear. I did try on one dress I really liked but we did not do anything for each other so we parted ways.

So, I might really be done after 21 months on shopping. How sad!:(

Oh, heck, if your next cruise isn't until January you have PLENTY more time to get the shopping bug again! :)

Not to encourage a bad habit or anything!

I'm in a pickle myself. I just booked--WAY last-minute which scares me but the deal was fabulous--a cruise for 8/31 on Oasis. Starting November of 2011 I went on a serious diet and lost 65 pounds. Of course I gave away all my big clothes along the way so that I would NEVER gain the weight back. Well...it's BAAAACK. Not all of it, but 45 pounds or so of it. Ugh! I've been buying as few clothes as possible because I need to lose it again and I don't want anything to encourage me to keep this weight on...but now with the cruise, and especially formal nights, I don't know what to do.

I really don't want to spend money on formal dresses, especially since I'll be solo and I'm not feeling good about myself and hence have no desire to dress up! I could stick in my cabin on formal nights, I guess, but I really don't want to do that either.

I guess I'll see if any of my smaller dresses can still be squeezed into (I have a couple in intermediate sizes that I bought for my last cruise that possibly could still work--if I can get up the courage to try them!) If not, I think it will be black dress pants and a sparkly top for me for both formal nights.

What would you do? (Besides get back on a diet, which I have--hope this cruise doesn't derail me again!)

Go to Goodwill/thrift shops and see if you can pick up a couple of inexpensive outfits. Do not stay in your cabin! Go out and enjoy your cruise.

I decided first to bite the bullet and try on the dressy dresses I have. So I did just that on my lunch break and, hooray, there are some I can still wear! They cling in places I'd rather they didn't, but they don't look ridiculous (I don't think) so I'll just go with them. After all, I have a whole week and a half before my cruise so I have time to lose a couple pounds by then! :)

That was a huge relief to discover. I really thought I'd never be able to get into them, let alone look okay. Thank goodness for stretchy fabrics!

Hahahahaha! This sounds exactly like me. I just posted about how I was not going to buy anything for this trip on the fashionista thread, but then stated that I bought a few summer/maxi dresses, 2 bathing suits, and 2 swim cover-ups!

Its like I don't even notice it!

I totally feel you though, we have to get SOMETHING, even a little bit here or there. I do vow NOT to buy a new formal dress though (ok, ok, I admit it- I bought 3 formal dresses (mind you, there are only 2 cruise elegant nights!) from Lord & Taylors. I took them back though- yay me- go willpower! I did go and buy 3 exercise outfits on the trip I made to the mall to return said dresses, but hey, that can be used anytime, not just to the gym on the ship ;)

I really wasn't going to buy me anything new. But ran into the problem that some of the dresses that I thought would fit don't fit. I was all ready to give up on eating in the main dining room and then a lady listed all of her larger clothes size 14-24on a local face book buy/sell/trade group. She had everything listed as $1-$5.

It turns out that she cruises too and she had a small stash of formals of varying sizes. Now ... all her formals were black and I usually try to steer away from black on my cruises just because that's what 90% of the women seem to wear. I bought some capris and 3 new formals from her. I couldn't beat the price and I'm hoping that now that I'm not taking the steroids for my breathing that I'll soon begiin losing weight and won't need these black dresses for more than a couple of cruises.

Then this week I was driving a friend that doesn't drive to the store. I found 3 pair of cargo shorts in hubby's size, 1 pair of swim trunks, and 3 of the tropical print shirts (which he likes). All of these were marked $5 except for 1 pair of shorts and 1 shirt.

Our ship leaves in 11 days and i'm not buying anything else for this cruise. :)

Oh my goodness, this is so me!

When I'm not traveling, my suitcases store clothes that can no longer fit in my closer or drawers. I truly have a shopping problem in general, but it gets slightly worse when a cruise is upcoming. I feel like I have to replace my cruise wardrobe. There are standard pieces that I bring with me on every cruise, but this will probably be the cruise that I have the most new clothes. For my next cruise in March, I'm determined not to go crazy on the spending unless I've lost a considerable amount of weight.

I just bought two dresses from Old Navy and two days later, I placed another other for 1 dress and 4 tops which should be delivered by Friday.

I'm truly done shopping for this cruise ... really and truly :D I do need to bring some articles of clothing for alteration though and then I'll be good to go.

I did need to get a new cocktail dress as the one I've been wearing just can't be altered any further. Formal wear is always tough for me as I do not care for spangles, sparkles, beading or bedazzling and would rather not wear poly, but I did find a beautiful silk dupioni sheath in the Talbot's "Aisle Style" collection. I would need it anyway for other events, it just so happens that my cruise is the next event on my schedule.

I'm a shopaholic and I promised myself 2 months ago that I wasn't going to buy anything new for my upcoming cruise.

Well, that went out the window this past week when I discovered I needed a bunch of new "cute" shoes and a new cocktail dress to match my hubby's tux that I rented from the cruise. *sigh*...

Last weekend I went to Nordstrom Rack and passed up a navy blue cocktail dress that was priced at $60...but I'm still thinking about it....sigh...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's tough being "good", isn't it?

It's tough being "good", isn't it?

Yes! But I already have a different navy blue dress (although the style is completely different) ..... But if I had two blue dresses, I could wear the same pair of shoes with each....and I already have the shoes....hmmm

It wouldn't hurt to go back and see if it is still there. If not, it was not meant to be. (OK, I have already admitted that I am an enabler!)

Well, I ran out of time to go back, I am in Phoenix this weekend visiting my parents (i live in Dallas)... I'll have to wait another few days to try to find it again...what are the chances?

It wouldn't hurt to go back and see if it is still there. If not, it was not meant to be. (OK, I have already admitted that I am an enabler!)

You're baaaad!

Now I'm going to have to go shopping to keep you happy!!:D

Archived