TSA approved locks

Anyone use these new lock on their checked luggage at the airport? Any problems? If you have one you really like, what kind is it? I'm trying to decide if to buy these and if I do which one?

Thanks,

Knot

Ever since we could no longer lock our luggage in the US, I use those plastic ties that you find in electronic stores (to tie cords together). You can cut them off. That way, the TSA can get into my luggage if needed. Just remember to put your scissors in a pocket that isn't locked.

Ever since we could no longer lock our luggage in the US, I use those plastic ties that you find in electronic stores (to tie cords together). You can cut them off.

Never could see reasoning for this. Is it to see if someone has broken into your luggage or what.

You can lock your luggage. Use TSA approved locks and you're all set.

Never could see reasoning for this. Is it to see if someone has broken into your luggage or what.

I use the ties to try to increase my odds that the suitcase won't be broken into. If someone is looking to steal something, they'll usually be in a hurry. I want them to move on to one they don't have to cut the ties or lock off of. Consider it insurance. It won't pay off, but it may avoid a problem. And it can't hurt.

You can lock your luggage. Use TSA approved locks and you're all set.

Not necessarily. We've used the TSS locks once. We had them on 2 suitcases. On one of them, the lock had been cut off after going through security at Atlanta. They did not put it (or anything else) inside the suitcase to indicate they had opened it. I thought they were supposed to return them and put colored ties on so you would know and there would still be some level of protection. Our locks were replaceable by the manufacturer if we returned a cut one to them, but we had nothing to return. I've seen several posts over the last year or so with the same story. Now we use the cable ties. Neither will stop someone determined to get in your bags, but they're cheaper if the TSA decides to open yours and can't/won't follow procedures.

We have the TSA approved locks. When we were checking in for a flight last week, the baggage screeners asked if our suitcases were unlocked. I told them the locks were TSA locks, and they said that was fine.

At least one of our bags was opened by security. When we picked up our luggage, the suitcase had been re-locked.

My locks are 4-digit combination locks. There is a code on the bottom that TSA can use to open the lock with a key. I don't know the brand, but I bought them at Kohl's, and I think they were around $5.00 each.

I bought TSA-approved locks when they first came out, from ebags. I have used them many times with good results. (I have no idea if the TSA ever opened my bags, but the bags and locks came back intact each time).

I just got back from a trip and the lock had been BENT open, absolutely mangled. I have no idea exactly how this happened, but the lock is ruined. I suppose it is possible that OTHER airport security workers do not have the TSA keys for opening these locks, and I did travel to Italy, so that may explain things.

Up until this trip, I would have whole-heartedly recommended the locks. Now I'm not sure.

Carol

I think it's not common that TSA cuts off locks that they are supposed to have a key for. I've used mine for a couple years now with no problem. I don't think it's reasonable to think that a plastic tie is going to keep someone out of your suitcase if they want to be in it. Only a lock is a deterrent.

If you go on the TSA website they will give you the models of the type of locks they have keys for.

You can purchase the lock almost anywhere.... I bought mine at Target. On the outside of the packaging it said TSA approved.

Hmnnn looks like there are problems with the board again tonight,

I bought mine from ebags - I think the 4 digit were 2 for 12.99 - last one I had I thought was TSA approved - came with the luggage was clipped and there was a tsa notice inside. Will be trying the new ebags this trip to Alaska. I agree with the tywraps as well but I buy the multicolored( weird colors) so if they are replaced I know if someone was inside and weird colors make them easier to spot coming off the carousel

haven't used them yet and the last few trips, didn't lock the bags,

but this time the hotel is going to hold them while we are touring all day

before going to the ship.

so we really want to lock them while going overseas to Europe.

has anyone run into too many problems locking them for overseas?

Leaving in 13 days for Barcelona and Splendour of the seas.

(This is beachchick)

I think this is the upside of flying from a small regional airport. It's just about the only upside considering that flights cost so much more and there are only a few hubs available. We all say "you can't get there from here" because you pretty much always have to connect at least once and there are very few flights anyway.

At our local airport, the baggage screening is right there in front of the check in. They take your bags, screen them, ask questions if necessary, and then (if you have them ready) will put your locks on your bags for you (you aren't allowed to as you can't touch your bag during or after the inspection). The TSA inspector puts on the "TSA inpected" sticker and then takes the bags up to the check in counter. You get checked in and off you go. This is good all the way through to your final destination.

beachchick

I've been flying with TSA approved locks for several years now. At several airport I've had agents ask me if the bags were locked and I told them yes, with a TSA lock and they thanked me for using them. At other times the agent just takes the bag and whisks it away.

The only time I had a problem was on an interisland flight from Kauai to Honolulu. The Hawaiian Air section of the airport requires screening of all bags with the owners present since they don't have the full x-ray equipment in place at this section of the airport. The TSA agent asked me to unlock all our bags. I told him he could unlock them himself with their "master" key. He told me they only used the master key in the larger island to mainland section in the airport. My lock have a 4 digit combination, so I had to dial them in on our 4 bags. Not a biggy, but thought it would have been much easier for them to pop the lock with their key.

I purchased one and when i got my luggage the zip was ripped and the lock gone... not worth it IMO...

I think tying the zips are the best option, rather than risking getting a damaged suitcase back.

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise a couple of weeks ago and had 6 checked bags, 5 out of the 6 were checked by TSA (they leave a card in the bag letting you know they looked) All the bags had a TSA approved lock and all were relocked after they checked. We felt better having locks on the bags since the luggage was sitting out in the hallway unattended on the ship. We paid about $9 for each of the locks at Kohls which were found in the luggage area

Would you guys lock your bags if you were driving to the port and turning them over to the baggage handlers to put on the ship? If so, does port security have the ability to open bags with TSA locks to check them?

Thanks!

Cheryl

Archived