Diamond: Have I Gotten Less and Why

Being unable to cruise newer ships with dedicated lounges I usually attend the cocktail hour for discounted drinks when possible. I've read here on the newer ships that some get upgraded snacks instead of the stale nut and raisins only that you must ask for on the ships I travel on. Am I wrong in the assumption that on newer ships you're treated a bit better.

Being unable to cruise newer ships with dedicated lounges I usually attend the cocktail hour for discounted drinks when possible. I've read here on the newer ships that some get upgraded snacks instead of the stale nut and raisins only that you must ask for on the ships I travel on. Am I wrong in the assumption that on newer ships you're treated a bit better.

All ships will eventually have a dedicated Diamond lounge, with the hot/cold snacks and free baxsic mixed drinks in the evening.

Probably because RCI/RCCL decided to use the funds in Capital Appropriations to upgrade the ships without a Diamond Club/Lounge; and, not spend them on costs associated with doing as you suggest. It doesn't bother me and we are willing to wait for all the ships to be done.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

But why am I denied those things now on an older ship. They are doable even without a dedicated lounge.

Nobody is twisting your arm to sail a certain ship, its all your choice. If one wants more choices then you are more than welcome pick a ship with more to do. I find the same treatment on all rci ships that we have sailed

If you know this is the policy and yet you choose to book older ships (I asusme because they are much cheaper) then I dont know how you can think you are missing out. It is your choice to book the newer more expensive ships like Allure or not.

I certainly am happy with free wine on Mariner for instance, and loved that it left from a port I could drive to and so I saved money.

No complaints here.

Edited by firefly333

I honestly didn't expect a whipping when I opened this thread. So sorry I'm not able to convey my thoughts right now as I'd surely get in trouble.

I cannot believe some of the inconsiderate responses you got! Sometimes I'm sorry I even read CC.

I honestly didn't expect a whipping when I opened this thread. So sorry I'm not able to convey my thoughts right now as I'd surely get in trouble.

Pardon? Who is whipping you? No one is being mean or anything - just being honest and giving you an explanation. Sorry you feel differently. And surely you can convey your thoughts without violating guidelines or what have you; just choose your words carefully. :)

Pardon? Who is whipping you? No one is being mean or anything - just being honest and giving you an explanation. Sorry you feel differently. And surely you can convey your thoughts without violating guidelines or what have you; just choose your words carefully. :)

I suppose being called cheap isn't a mean thing to say or infer in your book but it sure is in mine!

To actually answer your question :), no, I do not think you're wrong in the assumption that Diamonds are treated a little better on newer ships that have a dedicated Diamond Lounge versus just a nightly Diamond Event.

As others have said, fortunately, all ships will eventually have it. The newest ships (Freedom on) were built with a D lounge and the others require retrofitting, which will take a while for them to get around to fleet wide.

We're diamond, choose to sail ships that don't yet have dedicated Diamond lounges, know what to expect, and don't feel like we've been cheated. If it were that important to us we'd choose to sail upgraded ships rather than choosing our cruises for itinerary.

NOW, are tier members treated better on newer ships and WHY. GOT THAT

Here is the current link to the Enhancement Schedule http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf As you can see there are still several ships to be enhanced. What you might have experienced in the past is the Diamond Event on those ships that did not have a true Diamond Lounge. Here you were given complimentary wine, champagne and soft drinks with all other beverages available at 25% off their normal price.

Each ship will have a Concierge Lounge for Suite Guests, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Members. What is being added to all ships is a Diamond Lounge for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members.

You will get the same amenities in the Diamond Lounge as you will in the Concierge lounge. Continental Breakfast every morning usually from 7 until 10 and then cocktail hour from either 4:30 to 8 or 5:00 until 8:30. You will have have the services of the Concierge in each lounge to assist you.

Hope this helps.:)

Edited by cruisenfever

It's kinda like choosing flight routes. Now I know some planes are older, the configuration isn't exactly what I want and my Delta status doesn't do a heck of a lot for me. But I'm not going to choose a longer or pricier route to get that slightly better meal and 2-3 inches of leg room. Unless Delta replaces all the old planes, it's the luck of the draw and you make the most of it. Or choose the other route. RCI will get to all the ships, on their timeline.

Edited by sr4mjc

You are wrong if you are looking at it from a status-perspective and if you consider all the aspects. When looking only at "freebies" offered in the Diamond Lounge, the newer the ship, the better the perks. However, the $225-ish Diamond balcony discount is more of a discount (percentage-wise) on the older (and hence cheaper) ships. $225 off $5k vs $225 off $6k - you do the math. I'm sure there are other perk and drawback trade-offs.

Having been on almost every class of RCCL ship in service, I can say that all passengers, despite their status, are getting more on the newer (and bigger) ships.

If you know this is the policy and yet you choose to book older ships (I asusme because they are much cheaper) then I dont know how you can think you are missing out. It is your choice to book the newer more expensive ships like Allure or not.

I certainly am happy with free wine on Mariner for instance, and loved that it left from a port I could drive to and so I saved money.

No complaints here.

I don't agree that being cheap has anything to do with it. We often choose Explorer because DH has difficulty navegating airports so tries to avoid flying. Comparable cruises on other newer ships are usually cheaper. We are definitely looking forward to Quantum and don't care a bit about the cost.

Having said that, I see no reason at all why the same drinks offered in the DL on other ships cannot be offered for free at Diamond events. Totally agree with OP.

I don't agree that being cheap has anything to do with it. We often choose Explorer because DH has difficulty navegating airports so tries to avoid flying. Comparable cruises on other newer ships are usually cheaper. We are definitely looking forward to Quantum and don't care a bit about the cost.

Having said that, I see no reason at all why the same drinks offered in the DL on other ships cannot be offered for free at Diamond events. Totally agree with OP.

My thanks to you also.

No complaints here.

:eek: The cost of a cruise is based on itinerary plus # of days and not on the age of the ship.