Diamond: Have I Gotten Less and Why

I honestly didn't expect a whipping when I opened this thread. So sorry I'm not able to convey my thoughts right now as I'd surely get in trouble.

I am so sorry you got nasty responses.

I feel exactly the way you do. I am Diamond and will probably never make Diamond Plus, but it seems to me that the RCI policy is very wrong when it comes to Diamonds. The very same little card room where you get the stale trail mix and cheap wine "Diamond Event" would work just as well for the free drinks and some kind of little snack assortment.

It is not, at least to me, a matter of available space. I have been in Diamond Events on Voyager class ships where the room is much bigger than the Diamond Lounge newly installed on ships of the same class.

I don't know why RCI has this policy, but it seems to me that it discriminates. I am very glad that they are upgrading the fleet and making this well-earned perk available to all the Diamond members, as well as it should be.

For those who want to pick on me because I like my nightly free cocktail, go right ahead. Two drinks a night adds up, my friends.:)

I have been loyal to RCI for many years and the line has been extremely kind and generous to me with their reward for my loyalty.

There is NOTHING wrong with expecting equal treatment for all Diamond members.

I am so sorry you got nasty responses.

I feel exactly the way you do. I am Diamond and will probably never make Diamond Plus, but it seems to me that the RCI policy is very wrong when it comes to Diamonds. The very same little card room where you get the stale trail mix and cheap wine "Diamond Event" would work just as well for the free drinks and some kind of little snack assortment.

It is not, at least to me, a matter of available space. I have been in Diamond Events on Voyager class ships where the room is much bigger than the Diamond Lounge newly installed on ships of the same class.

I don't know why RCI has this policy, but it seems to me that it discriminates. I am very glad that they are upgrading the fleet and making this well-earned perk available to all the Diamond members, as well as it should be.

For those who want to pick on me because I like my nightly free cocktail, go right ahead. Two drinks a night adds up, my friends.:)

I have been loyal to RCI for many years and the line has been extremely kind and generous to me with their reward for my loyalty.

Those are the feelings I wanted to convey but things somehow come out different for me. Glad to see I'm not alone.

No. You're missing the point. All who attend events on ships with no lounge are being treated unequally for no discernible reason. Simple as that.

There are always "unequal" situations. Those who sail on Voyager class ships don't have a Flowrider. Those who sail on Radiance class ships don't have a Promenade. On and on. Ships are different.

I don't think a Diamond Member is treated any better on ships with a Diamond Lounge, it's just that the amenities of the ship are different. Just the same as ice skating is not offered on Grandeur and Pool Playing is not offered on Freedom.

Company Policy says otherwise until all ships are equipped with a Diamond Lounge. Sounds more like an entitlement issue rather than equal treatment.

Edited by cruisenfever

Its just snacks and what about the people who higher level then you never really hear them complain :rolleyes: I see a lot of post where diamonds complain

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps they're treated equally.

Please go back and read the last sentence in the first post.

NOW, are tier members treated better on newer ships and WHY. GOT THAT

So the answer is: RCCL wants to give the full benefits in a Lounge, and not just at an event. You don't sail on ships that have dedicated lounges, therefore you don't get that policy.

In addition, it has been answered that ships are all being updated over time. Which means that you will eventually get this benefit.

What is wrong with those answers? They were posted and seemed pretty clear.

I personally don't understand why you are "forced" into sailing on ships that don't have that. That makes no sense to me at all. I've sailed on ships that have no lounge for anything and ships that were built with a DL while they were constructed. How is it that you only have the choice of one?

I suppose being called cheap isn't a mean thing to say or infer in your book but it sure is in mine!
nobody called you cheap, they just pointed out that it's your own cruise purchasing decisions that determine whether you will be on a ship with a diamond lounge.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Semi-related question. :D
So my first cruise as Diamond will be on Explorer next May. When we booked the cruise the ship was scheduled to be overhauled prior and there would have been a diamond lounge. Royal changed the overhaul schedule (my buddies :rolleyes:) after I was locked into May so now we will have the diamond event to look forward to.
So what can I expect there? I hear some drinks are free, some discounted. :)

Sorry to hijack the conversation but half the people were just being snarky anyway. :p

I am a wine drinker, so the lack of hard liquor or beer are not issues for me. While I do not get snacks at a D event, sometimes I have been exceptionally well treated on older ships with a D event. Since there are often fewer D's, we have gotten lots of attention from the waitstaff. One or two really tried to spoil us and spent much time chatting with us (and got nice tips for their efforts).

On some ships with DL, there have been so many D's, it may be packed with little time for any individual attention. With so many people service can be slower, though not through lack of effort on staff's part.

Experiences and opinions vary, but I am so well fed on a cruise that the lack of snacks is not too important to me.

And remember older ships are getting lounges, and not in chronological order. So an older ship may have gotten a lounge while a newer one has not (for example Legend vs Explorer). Edited by Starry Eyes

Actually the more I think about this post the more interested it is. Think about it..
If you are diamond, you should be treated as a diamond across all ships.

Would it be fair to treat Pinnacle members differently on different ship? Not really. All members in the same levels should be treated the same, however it really isnt ok to complain about free stuff? But this post isnt about free stuff its about being given a 25% discount on items that others get for free on different ships because of the age of the ship. It really doesnt matter if there is an entire lounge dedicated or not.

Older ship are cheaper, that is just how it is. If Oasis was to do a three night sailing you would never see a 149$ price for an inside cabin NEVER, but I have paid that several times on the Sovereign OtS before she was sold.

I am cheap, I admit it, think what you want. My husband and I sail on RCCL for the perks, we love the free drinks, the balcony discounts and the right to board and disembark the ship when we want. Little extras is what keeps us coming back. Take those away, and we might start looking at different lines to spend our money on.

[quote name='PCWalton1']Semi-related question. :D
So my first cruise as Diamond will be on Explorer next May. When we booked the cruise the ship was scheduled to be overhauled prior and there would have been a diamond lounge. Royal changed the overhaul schedule (my buddies :rolleyes:) after I was locked into May so now we will have the diamond event to look forward to.
[COLOR=Red]So what can I expect there? I hear some drinks are free, some discounted[/COLOR]. :)

Sorry to hijack the conversation but half the people were just being snarky anyway. :p[/quote]
Nightly Diamond Event: Free house wine, house champagne, and soda. All other drinks are 25% off. They may have some trail mix available.

Let's have a hypothetical situation. A handicapped person who can't travel long distances by plane or motor vehicle yet lives close enough for a short ride to a port. He or she has been very loyal to one cruise line out of many at that port. Being unable to sail on other ships that the line has to offer as he or she is unable to get to should he or she expect to be treated equally for his or her loyalty???

[quote name='PCWalton1']Semi-related question. :D
So what can I expect there? I hear some drinks are free, some discounted. :)

Sorry to hijack the conversation but half the people were just being snarky anyway. :p[/quote]

Depending on how many people that they anticipate using the Diamond Event, you will be in one of the Clubs on the ship- on the Majesty, it was a small area in the Viking Crown Lounge, on the Jewel, we were in the Hollywood Lounge, and on the Brilliance- the HL was for the CL, and we were out by ourselves in a different area. So- you will be in some lounge area.....

White, red, rose, and sparkling wine will be offered complimentary, mixed drinks at a discount. Snacks- it's kind of a trial mix of nuts and rasins.

While you are not supposed to take the drinks out, at every DE we've been to, they've topped us up on or way out to dinner or events. One interesting thing- the only DE that has more than one or two couples was on the Majesty. Jewel, we were with maybe one other couple, and on the Brilliance over NYE, DW and I were by ourselves. Very lonely. :D (we are ok with that, being shy)

I have my flame retardant suit on so here goes.

As a business owner, why should I remodel a portion of my business just to give away free product to my patrons? Yes, I periodically offer a discount to my customers but cannot for the life of me understand why some people think since they do business with you why they expect something for nothing.

I am a Diamond+ C & A member and to this day, do not EXPECT anything free. Discounts are nice but I understand RCCL must make a profit to stay in business.

Commence flaming now. ;)

Tim

[quote name='beer1234']Let's have a hypothetical situation. A handicapped person who can't travel long distances by plane or motor vehicle yet lives close enough for a short ride to a port. He or she has been very loyal to one cruise line out of many at that port. Being unable to sail on other ships that the line has to offer as he or she is unable to get to should he or she expect to be treated equally for his or her loyalty???[/quote]

Assuming that you are not in Miami only sailing on the Majesty, then you will eventually get that benefit. Until then, the reduced room rate, the priority check in, the check out lounge, etc- will have to suffice. Edited by alfaeric

[quote name='alfaeric']Assuming that you are not in Miami only sailing on the Majesty, then you will eventually get that benefit. Until then, the reduced room rate, the priority check in, the check out lounge, etc- will have to suffice.[/quote]

Yer heart's as cold as a wet Christmas.

[quote name='cruisenfever']:eek: The cost of a cruise is based on itinerary plus # of days and not on the age of the ship.[/quote]

I guess you understand Iv done about 6 to 8 cruises a year for a while now and know that the price of a ship is based on many things.

What I was referrring to was some pick say Monarch because its cheaper and then they come to carnival saying they know all about carnival, never experiencing a ship like Oasis.

I could come right back and say the price is based on supply and demand I learned during my business college days, but Im sure you know that.

I do think there were a loose link between the age of a ship and the cost per day. .. sorry, but your correction might or might not be my reality. Newer ships almost always cost more.. Like Carnival Breeze costs more than a 7 day Dream.. its because Breeze is newer. If you believe what you posted, thats ok, but I believe there is a loose link between how new a ship is and the cost.

But thank you for your correction lol :D .. its ok.. I know you are smarter than your post to me. Ive seen other of your posts to know. Edited by firefly333