Diamond: Have I Gotten Less and Why

Beer, here is a new take on your complaint.

cruisegirl1 is the first to bring up these facts on this thread; it's the first thing that *I* thought of when I started reading.

On the Majesty, which is never getting a DL, the SUITE guests, who frankly are entitled to more than a Diamond, get nothing. No Concierge Lounge, no free drinks, no hot & cold hors d'ouevres.

Diamonds are not being treated differently. Ships are different. Many people have pointed that out.

Your complaint has no merit.

I can't wait to join the many who have been the target of your witless barbs.

Fire away.

MM, thank you for saving me from having to post the obvious.

To Beer, I have been on both sides of the equation. On a ship with a DL and on a ship with out the DL. Both times. I was not forced to book a cruise on either style ship. I did that out of my own decision.

To CC in general, it is fascinating even after all these years how people can wind you all up. I have read two threads this morning so far and both are clear wind ups. The other was the baseball uniform on the child in the MDR. About half the people talked to the OP there as if this was a real thread. Just pointing out the obvious, again. Thanks MM

jc

Seriously, I didn't expect that most of you would have any idea of my post about equality.

I'm sorry that you interpreted what I posted as a principal (pretty sure I used that word) that has been imbued with me and a part of my life for probably longer than many of you have been alive as a equation to a much more important historical event.

It's okay with me if you choose to over-react. I'm glad that you reacted and pleased that you understand that there were and still are equality issues more important than a free drink. Just sorry you didn't get my post.

Don't worry, I will get over the flames. I've been on Usenet since 1995 and I'm pretty much flame-proof by now. Compared to some places on the net, CC is a love-fest. :D

Being unable to cruise newer ships with dedicated lounges I usually attend the cocktail hour for discounted drinks when possible. I've read here on the newer ships that some get upgraded snacks instead of the stale nut and raisins only that you must ask for on the ships I travel on. Am I wrong in the assumption that on newer ships you're treated a bit better.

I would say yes and no!

Comparing Explorer and Allure:

On Explorer, which we have sailed on quite a few times because of the convenience, there is a nightly "Diamond Event" which does not compare to the food and drink available in the Diamond Lounge on Allure.

On the other hand, Explorer has a separate, sit down, "Diamond Breakfast" in a lounge off the MDR, which is much nicer than the fare offered for breakfast in the Diamond Lounge on Allure.

As Allen Iverson would say:

"We're sitting here talking the free snacks. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about free snacks, not a cocktail, not a free cocktail, not a discounted cocktail, but we're talking about the free snacks. How silly is that?"

:D

Being unable to cruise newer ships with dedicated lounges I usually attend the cocktail hour for discounted drinks when possible. I've read here on the newer ships that some get upgraded snacks instead of the stale nut and raisins only that you must ask for on the ships I travel on. Am I wrong in the assumption that on newer ships you're treated a bit better.

You are treated well on all ships, hopefully. However the Diamond Party is not the same as the Diamond Lounge, that they have on many ships, but not all. Even some of the older ships are getting a diamond lounge. It's not the ship or the staff, it's what the ship has to offer. Some ships don't even have a Lounge for their loyal customers, so everyone gets the discounted drinks and the not so fabulous mixed nuts and fruit thing. But times they are a changing. Just keep cruising and when you get to the diamond plus stage, there may be a Concierge Lounge that you will be entitled to enter.

Rev

• 3 months later...

I have gone from Diamond to Diamond Plus without a DL and not a problem......I know what to expect. The treatment of the staff on Majesty has made up for anything I might have missed. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and drive to Miami to go on the Majesty. Have trip planned on Liberty in Dec. but will be back on the Majesty for sure in February to enjoy that staff again.

Was on Enchantment this last month.......was in the DL first time. Back to my nuts and raisins in February. :-)

I agree with these comments about drinks in various lounges, being D+ myself. Have been treated very well in all Concierge lounges. However, as more people travel and are becoming D+ the Lounge on deck 9 on Voyager class ships can't handle the crowds, so they added space in the Viking Lounge each nite at 4:30 to 8:00 on the Nov. 10, 2013 sailing I just completed. I think space will be just fine as they upgrade as the Mariner was last year. However, my 'Gripe" is with the new Seapass Card Benefits. We have been cut by 50% to all benefits as D+ because we can only redeem ONCE with the Seapass card, whereas we had 2 Booklets before. So Double Benefits are now Single Benefits. Anyone else see this change??

Here is the current link to the Enhancement Schedule http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf As you can see there are still several ships to be enhanced. What you might have experienced in the past is the Diamond Event on those ships that did not have a true Diamond Lounge. Here you were given complimentary wine, champagne and soft drinks with all other beverages available at 25% off their normal price.

Each ship will have a Concierge Lounge for Suite Guests, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Members. What is being added to all ships is a Diamond Lounge for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members.

You will get the same amenities in the Diamond Lounge as you will in the Concierge lounge. Continental Breakfast every morning usually from 7 until 10 and then cocktail hour from either 4:30 to 8 or 5:00 until 8:30. You will have have the services of the Concierge in each lounge to assist you.

Hope this helps.:)

Spaman

Each person in the cabin had a book, and now each person has the coupons embedded on his/her own sea pass card. With the exception of the few offers that are no longer offered, what is the difference?

As an example, there was one free photo coupon in the book. If there is one free photo coupon on each sea pass card, what is the difference?

M

I agree with these comments about drinks in various lounges, being D+ myself. Have been treated very well in all Concierge lounges. However, as more people travel and are becoming D+ the Lounge on deck 9 on Voyager class ships can't handle the crowds, so they added space in the Viking Lounge each nite at 4:30 to 8:00 on the Nov. 10, 2013 sailing I just completed. I think space will be just fine as they upgrade as the Mariner was last year. However, my 'Gripe" is with the new Seapass Card Benefits. We have been cut by 50% to all benefits as D+ because we can only redeem ONCE with the Seapass card, whereas we had 2 Booklets before. So Double Benefits are now Single Benefits. Anyone else see this change??

Each seapass card has its own coupons loaded on it, so other than the match play coupons (which disappeared) the result is still the same as before.

Here is the current link to the Enhancement Schedule http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf As you can see there are still several ships to be enhanced. What you might have experienced in the past is the Diamond Event on those ships that did not have a true Diamond Lounge. Here you were given complimentary wine, champagne and soft drinks with all other beverages available at 25% off their normal price.

Each ship will have a Concierge Lounge for Suite Guests, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Members. What is being added to all ships is a Diamond Lounge for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members.

You will get the same amenities in the Diamond Lounge as you will in the Concierge lounge. Continental Breakfast every morning usually from 7 until 10 and then cocktail hour from either 4:30 to 8 or 5:00 until 8:30. You will have have the services of the Concierge in each lounge to assist you.

Hope this helps.:)

I believe this is generally true, except for Oasis and Allure, where the CL is rumored to be much nicer than the DL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I suppose being called cheap isn't a mean thing to say or infer in your book but it sure is in mine!

I hope I don't sound "mean" when I say this, but to me, anyone who can afford a cruise, any cruise, is not cheap. If you want to go on a ship with a Diamond Lounge, do your homework and, as you did, ask questions. Not all ships with a Diamond Lounge are the super and mega ships. I am going on Enchantment next year, which is a "smaller" ship, but it has a Diamond Lounge:cool:. (Which, I didn't even know at the time of booking until I saw pictures on Cruise Critic that someone one posted from their cruise on Enchantment). I don't know if it has the hot/cold appetizers as the other Diamond Lounges (although I don't see why it wouldn't-but if it didn't it wouldn't bother me).

I was on Freedom last year and never even utilized the Diamond Lounge. I'm sorry that you feel people think you are cheap. Just take whichever cruise you can afford. And honestly, I prefer the term frugal;). Everyone should choose their words more carefully, including me. I hope I have done so in this post, and I hope I have also helped the OP regarding "smaller" ships with Diamond Lounges.

Happy and safe sailing to us all:)

Edited by onyourtoes

Thank you so much for pointing out a typing error. It's very helpful that you clarify that what I typed wasn't what you typed.

This is about equality? Getting free drinks and better food means equality from ship to ship?

Ok, so what do you propose to do about it, then? You demand equality, and that equals what, exactly?

I don't recall debating you as much as just answering questions of why. Seems simple enough. You get everything any other diamond member gets but instead of mixed drinks, wine, snacks and nuts, you get just free wine and nuts. And all on the ship you are on get the same benefit.

In addition to that, unless you are on the Majesty, and on that because you can't drive 45 min up to Fort Lauderdale, and someone forces you onto the cruise ship, then the ships will be updated to be "equal".

So there's what you do- wait. Wait until the ship you are forced to sail on has a real diamond lounge.

Or you can deal with it just like the rest of us have. It's a perk.

Why are you wasting your time responding there is no winning with this OP if you agree with OP you get a thanks and if you do not your heartless there is no logic in you continuing this on. I understand everything you wrote make sense to me but this OP just want everyone to agree that RCL is not treating him or her fairly and wants everyone on here to agree with that and in the end it accomplishes nothing.

Edited by dfishner

On a cruise I took many years ago on the Mariner when I was in a GS, we used the CL most every night before dinner. Nobody drank anything, we just went in and chatted with people. There were very few people in the room, and the women who ran the lounge was quite good.

Anyways, there were a couple in the CL who were booked in an inside cabin complaining every night about this or that and the fact that cruising was simply awful now that RCCL had removed whatever.

I finally asked them why they cruised if everything was so bad, and the could not come up with an answer. They just liked to complain.

Some people are not happy if they are not complaining about some perceived slight.