Best "Almost Free" Tour near Waikiki: Hike Diamond Head!

CaribbeanBound

No need to take a ship's tour here. It's easy to access by car, bus, or taxi. And it's on the edge of Waikiki.

It's a fun hike with 360-degree views at the top. Highly recommend going first thing in the morning when it's cooler and less crowded. It's suitable for everyone, even if you don't exercise much (although those folks will just have to take it a little slower).

Here's a complete step-by-step detail of the hike, complete with illustrations, photos, and a nice Hawaiian-style "Certificate of Merit" (suitable for framing) that you can download and print upon completion of the hike.

Hike Diamond Head: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

We LOVED this hike.

We knew what we were in store for having done it on our honeymoon.

Now 19 years later..........we walked at home to get ready.

Climbed stairs at our work place..........

And when we did "THE STAIRS" we had to take a rest after.

Please do not think this is something you can just do.

Start walking...get in shape.

If you pace yourself you can do it.

It is awesome.

We bought the certificate and t-shirt that was offered that day that stated "We hiked DIAMOND HEAD"

Sea Ya

Thanks so much for the info. We were going to take a bus, but I think we'll walk.

• 2 months later...

Some say it's a "fun hike" and others say "you can't just do it, you really need to train and get fit before hand". We are moderately fit people, exercise a few times a week including walking but the stairs scare me off a bit :eek:. Not sure to attemp the hike or not :confused: what do you think?

Some say it's a "fun hike" and others say "you can't just do it, you really need to train and get fit before hand". We are moderately fit people, exercise a few times a week including walking but the stairs scare me off a bit :eek:. Not sure to attemp the hike or not :confused: what do you think?

DW and I just did this a couple of weeks ago. We walked from our Waikiki hotel to the top of Diamond Head. 4 miles each way, according to my GPS. We are moderately fit, and DW is getting a new knee Monday. It isn't that hard. If it gets a little steep, you slow your pace.

You would be surprised at the people making the hike. People with canes and crutches. Barefoot people. People in sandals. People of all shapes and sizes.

Jodez...

you will have no problem.

The folks that say you "really have to train" are way overstating it, unless they are referring to the REALLY fit folks that you see early in the morning running up and down the steps or attempting to complete the hike in 30 minutes.

Almost anyone (kids, teens, parents, over-the-hill folks like me) can do the hike. As CruiserBruce said, take it slow if you are having trouble. You will make it, and you will be really glad you did.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

Jodez - I agree with the others, you'll be OK doing the hike up Diamond Head. My Mom did it with us when she was 80 years old and managed just fine. Do the stairs at a pace that you're comfortable with...in fact do the whole hike at a comfortable pace ... that means not gasping for air to the point of not being able to carry on a conversation...but it's highly unlikely that you will even come close to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info.. I am not familiar with the area. We will be docking at Pier 2. Is that close to Aloha Tower?

We thought of using The Bus to Diamond Head, but instead caught a taxi. The walk is easy provided you are in reasonable health. It pays to wear good walking shoes, as the gravel surface is sometimes uneven, but take your time & you will be okay. Make sure you take a bottle of water, it does get hot, especially inside the caldera of Diamond Head crater. You will cool down with seabreeze at the top of Diamond Head, fantastic views.

When you walk back down, waiting for a bus can take some time, we opted for a taxi, that had just dropped someone off.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm embarassed to say I never exercise and I'm in my 60's. I did wonder why I was doing this, about halfway up, but after several trips to HI, I decided it was time. You can go as slow or fast as you wish. I wish we had brought more water, as it was a very hot day. I coudn't believe all the flip flops..since the path is uneven much of the way, those couldn't have been easy.

We really took our time, stopping to take pictures, admire the view, joke with other oldsters about why we were doing this..just having a fun time. All in all, it was not difficult, unless you decide to run up LOL! We'll be back in February, and I plan to climb it again.

• 2 weeks later...