Has Carnival Ever used the Fuel Surcharge Option?

Flatland

I know Carnival reserves the right to charge extra per contract if the cost of oil goes above a certain amount.

Has Carnival ever actually done this? (I've read a lot of speculation about this, but never read about a confirmed rate increase.) Thx.

Kev

I know Carnival reserves the right to charge extra per contract if the cost of oil goes above a certain amount.

Has Carnival ever actually done this? (I've read a lot of speculation about this, but never read about a confirmed rate increase.) Thx.

Kev

they did it years ago but the atty general made them give the money back or something similar to that.

The posters with better memories than I will clear up the details.

Don't expect Carnival to apply the charge any time soon. They can't get people to book without drastically reducing fares.

If they imposed the fee an added $9 p per day even less will book a cruise.

Bill

They did and I think it was on the Dream in 2009 that they did it. I don't remember them giving it back. The price did go down, but I think that was Early Saver so we got some OBC.

After that, I would hold my breath until day of the cruise until I knew they weren't going to add it on.

They did it in gradual steps and pax 1 and 2 paid the full amount pax 3 etc paid less.

They did it retroactively on already booked cruises (there was no line that allowed them to do this). These are the people who got out of it.. the new bookings after it was annouced paid it.

Around $9 or $11 per day!!! it added up to quite a price hike for me. (seems like we paid around $80 extra. I cant remember if it was per pax or what.

started like $5, then jumped to like $7 and maybe topped out at $9 pp per day.

It was in 2008. I did a search and came up with this:

Carnival Corp., the largest cruise operator in the industry, will charge passengers an additional $5 a day on all new and existing bookings with Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008. The fee will apply only to the first two passengers in each stateroom, and will not exceed $70 per person, per voyage.

they did it years ago but the atty general made them give the money back or something similar to that.

The posters with better memories than I will clear up the details.

Don't expect Carnival to apply the charge any time soon. They can't get people to book without drastically reducing fares.

If they imposed the fee an added $9 p per day even less will book a cruise.

Bill

Totally agree with S.S.Oceanlover on this.

They applied it to my cruise in September 2009 and it was an additional $140 for my sister and I.

Never got the money back and a fuel service charge has never been reinstated since it went away in 2010.

They applied it to my cruise in September 2009 and it was an additional $140 for my sister and I.

Never got the money back and a fuel service charge has never been reinstated since it went away in 2010.

Very interesting, we went on our first cruise in September 2009 (Splendor, Long Beach). We used a TA. I had asked him about the fuel surcharge that I saw on Carnival's website, and he told me, no, that was never added on. :confused: We didn't pay it - but the same month you did :confused:

Wonder if other ships paid the surcharge that month?

They charged it on Princess when we sailed in 2008. About two months later the money was refunded, they said they had not given proper notice and it could not be enforced. I imagine that is why they keep it on the bookings, that they could apply it, but probably won't.

Very interesting, we went on our first cruise in September 2009 (Splendor, Long Beach). We used a TA. I had asked him about the fuel surcharge that I saw on Carnival's website, and he told me, no, that was never added on. :confused: We didn't pay it - but the same month you did :confused:

Wonder if other ships paid the surcharge that month?

I see that we are both sailing in 71 days!!!!!!!!yeah us........You'll be on the Pride and us on the Magic.......I wonder if we'll be in any ports together????? I'm MoBay, Gr. Cayman and Coz

I think the difference you mention may have been because when the fuel supplement 1st started being applied, there was some pushback from people and TA's that had been booked for a long time and felt it shouldn't be applied retroactively or something like that. So Carnival made some adjustments.

So it was possible for people even on the same sailing to either have the fuel surcharge or not have it depending on when they booked. Kind of like a grandfathered thing.

For those with memories of these things, recall that oil spiked to over $130 a barrel in the fall of 2008 on various degrees of speculation on inflation and affect of Fed stimulous. As comparison, yesterday's close on West Texas oil was $108 (rounded) and Brent was $110. While that's higher than the average over the past year, it's only in the same range as it was back in the beginning of the spring and in the middle of the range for all of 2011. Fuel surcharges weren't imposed duriing eithe rof these periods.

They had to refund some of the charges because the Florida Attorney General made them because it was an unannounced fee (basically changing the price after you had paid for it) Those that pruchased after the surcharged was announced did pay it (I think we paid it on one cruise) Hence why its on the ticket contract now. If they HAD to implement it because oil spikes suddenly, since its in the contract you purchased your ticket under they could then legally tack on the supplement. However, as long as oil does not spike quickly, they can adjust cruise prices to compensate and not need the surcharge. Remember, that was a time when oil was jumping $10 a barrel in a day at times.

They would much rather NOT charge the fee as it is bad for sales. Much easier to roll it into the cruise fare ($70 extra cruise fare is easier to hide than putting a $70 charge on your sign and sale account) Also better for the customers on a budget. If you already paid for it, then there is no surprise fee..

Kev

My very first cruise in 2003 I think it was charged prior to boarding. I also think it was credited back...but that was so long ago.

My computer did something quirky and now I'm logging in again to correct my post.

Anyhow, after reading all of the comments prior to mine, I guess I'm wrong. Although I wasn't sure, I don't know why I thought there was a fuel surcharge. And though I keep a lot of things, I don't believe I have the email from when I booked that cruise 10 years ago. Anyhow, the more I think about it, maybe it was the gratuities. My friend is the one who orchestrated everything and I don't think the grats were prepaid and I was like; great, another added expense. I was really a budget then...just a poor graduate with her first job and paying back expensive student loans.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is already paying it. With oil as high as it is I wouldn't doubt that prices have been adjusted to accommodate this without actually having to call it a fuel suplement. This allows them to avoid angry customers.

I remember it well - it was my very first cruise, Feb. 2008 on Miracle. When we returned they had added it to our sign and sail - being new I didn't check as well as I should have. But, long story short, we called and complained because our cruise doc. were marked paid in full and there was no disclosure regarding the price of oil (like they do with taxes). They had to refund the money to all and from then on the discloser was added to the documents. I have never been charged extra and I believe it is probably just worked into the initial cost of the cruise.:rolleyes:

Kev

Yes they have.

After the nuisance lawsuits, Carnival (and other cruise lines) modified the cruise contracts so it is spelled out in black and white and that put a stop to that.

If the price of oil increases like it did a few years ago, I expect they (and other cruise lines) to bring it back.

There would be no bigger impact on sales to Carnival than to other cruise lines, and in fact might be beneficial to Carnival since they are price and value leader. Cruisers are already price sensitive.

I don't think that Carnival or any cruise line for that matter will be re instituting the fuel surcharge; unless the PPB goes over $150 or sky rockets in price over a few hours/days. If not they will just pass the cost over to the consumer through other means such as fares and on board prices.

Archived