Royal Princess: Sanctuary? Enclave? Worth the extra money?

jeanico

A gracious good afternoon to all my fellow cruisers! My hubby, adult daughter and I will be sailing on the Royal Princess on December 1st (our 2nd time on a Princess Cruise... the first was years ago when the Grand was new!) :), and we were wondering whether passes to the Sanctuary or the Enclave are good investments. Does anyone know what the weekly cost would be in both cases? I can't seem to find any definitive answers online, including whether you can purchase a couples pass for the Enclave. Also, if you could purchase passes for only one of those two beautiful areas, which one would it be and why?

Thank you in advance for your input and pearls of wisdom!

Nicole

PS: We just decided to change our stateroom from a category BB to a category DA (D411). Hope it was a good move!

Edited by jeanico

I was on the Royal in July...ours was a port intensive itinerary and we were traveling with family, so I did not do either. On a December cruise I would be inclined to want to be outside rather than inside, so the Sanctuary would appeal to me more. The Retreat Pool, which is great, is just outside the entrance to the Sanctuary, and is for those 18 years and older, so is a nice quiet pool.

When I sailed it was, and is still, a 12 day itinerary so pricing will be different for the Caribbean weekly cruises. I did a "live from the Royal Princess" thread, I think I noted daily prices somewhere in it...think I remember the Sanctuary being $20 per day (passes sold for the 12 day cruise were $220 and sold out quickly) and Enclave was $39 for day passes, but day passes sold only on port days..did not get price for 12 day cruise price..hopefully you can get the 7 day itinerary prices from someone on one of the Caribbean cruises! Both places are lovely!

As far as cabin location, that looks good. Just be aware that if you are inclined to take the stairs here and there, that there is no center staircase above floor 7, so you will have to take the forward stairs and walk back to your cabin, or take the center elevators if you are going from the Piazza to your cabin.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Not that many people who have been on the Royal to provide feedback about some of the options. To me, the Royal is a bit different since the balconies are smaller and there's no bonus in balcony space for booking a Caribe balcony or mini-suite. Whether the Sanctuary is worth the cost is a personal choice. For some it is, for others, it isn't.

My experience with the Sanctuary was on the Island Princess, and I loved it. I booked for the entire cruise and had "my" lounger to go to every day. But then, I'd booked an oceanview cabin and didn't have a balcony. On the Island, the costs were $10/20 and $15/day for the whole cruise. The Royal Sanctuary is a bit more expensive at $15/25. There is a break if you book for the entire cruise. I think it's $20/day but I'm not sure about it.

I loved the Sanctuary and for my upcoming Royal cruise, I will probably book a half-day on the sea days, if I can, even though I have a balcony cabin. For me, it'll be worth $15 for a half-day.

The first thing I do when I board the ship will be to book the voyage long Enclave pass for my wife and I. To me, I see tangible benefits there that I don't see for the Sanctuary, especially on a cooler weather cruise (Baltics). Whether it's a day at sea or to relax after a long day touring in a port, it's good knowing the Enclave is at my disposal. The Royal is full of choices (and upcharges, and this drives many people up a wall) and they know that they only need a certain percentage of people who find value in each choice to make them work. While others see value in things I consider a waste of money (Sanctuary, Crab Shack with previously frozen seafood at $20, and $20 fondue), I'm a sucker for the Enclave.

Are you Elite or at least Platinum? I honestly wouldn't count on being able to book the Sanctuary for the week unless you can be one of the first to board.

That's why they expanded Sanctuary on the Royal. As for Enclave, I'll give it a shot. Maybe at $200 a pop, elites may not be so quick to book it.

That's why they expanded Sanctuary on the Royal. As for Enclave, I'll give it a shot. Maybe at $200 a pop, elites may not be so quick to book it.

But with the extra passengers that Royal holds, your Elite and Platinum passengers have expanded to meet the expanded space. I'd be shocked if a non status person could book the Sanctuary for the full week on Royal this December.

Silly question what is the enclave.. So you book sanctuary when you arrive... where??? First time on princess
You need to go to the Sanctuary to book for a half day, full day or the full cruise. Half days and full days are only booked each morning for that day.

I'm contemplating giving it a shot on Turn-around day in FLL between the two segments of my B2B. I've figured that I may have a better chance of getting a lounger in a decent location since we may re-board the ship ahead of the new passengers and I can get up there rather quickly. I've never used The Sanctuary and this would be a nice opportunity to try it on Royal Princess.

A gracious good afternoon to all my fellow cruisers! My hubby, adult daughter and I will be sailing on the Royal Princess on December 1st ...

Hi Nicole!

Please feel free to also stop by our Roll Call. We have a Meet and Greet already scheduled and it would be a pleasure to meet your family. :D

Most recent page...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708199&page=12

106 Days and counting!!! :D:D:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Are you Elite or at least Platinum? I honestly wouldn't count on being able to book the Sanctuary for the week unless you can be one of the first to board.

Ah... Good to know, thank you. We are simply Gold members. I didn't realize the Sanctuary would be out of our reach because of this. We won't waste any of our time trying then. I imagine we won't be able to obtain weekly Enclave passes for the same reason.

Does this also mean that, even if we arrive at the port early, passengers are allowed to board according to status only? So at what time should we arrive at port for embarkation? Any recommendations? And thanks to all for the input!

Nicole

Edited by jeanico

You never know..go up and give it a try first thing after boarding..and take a tour then too!

I agree, it never hurts to try. But not trying only to find out someone at your dinner table snagged the last two loungers just before sail away... ;)

Does this also mean that, even if we arrive at the port early, passengers are allowed to board according to status only? So at what time should we arrive at port for embarkation? Any recommendations? And thanks to all for the input!

Nicole

Last year on Ruby Princess I was Gold level and the embarkation for us began just after 12noon. The embarkation hall was pretty packed, so I would either get there around 10:30am or after 1pm.

Ah... Good to know, thank you. We are simply Gold members. I didn't realize the Sanctuary would be out of our reach because of this. We won't waste any of our time trying then. I imagine we won't be able to obtain weekly Enclave passes for the same reason.

Nicole

As mentioned, give it a shot. Send one of your party up there immediately after boarding. I just don't want to see anyone have their heart set on a week in the sanctuary to find it full.

Booking by the day, half day, no one has priority. First come first served.

Booking by the day, half day, no one has priority. First come first served.

If the weekly Sanctuary passes are practically sold out at embarkation, how can they possibly sell passes for single or 1/2 days during the cruise? Sold out is sold out, no? Unless they reserve a certain number of loungers for cases like this? I can just imagine the mad dash in the morning to get some of these, if this is the case. Way too much stress on vacation! :eek:

If the weekly Sanctuary passes are practically sold out at embarkation, how can they possibly sell passes for single or 1/2 days during the cruise? Sold out is sold out, no? Unless they reserve a certain number of loungers for cases like this? I can just imagine the mad dash in the morning to get some of these, if this is the case. Way too much stress on vacation! :eek:

Most cruises they hold back a certain percentage for sale by the day. And will only sell a certain amount for the entire cruise. On our Panama cruise we didn't want it for the whole cruise and decided to just grab a couple by the day. My husband is an early bird (thank goodness) and even getting there at 6:30 he couldn't get anything except in the direct sun which we didn't want. I hate the way the sell the Sanctuary!

Nicole - that was a good cabin move. better room, plus you will have a slightly larger balcony that is aft facing (i.e large depth dimension is forward). We were in D407 that also had a larger balcony (54 sq. ft.), but it was forward facing (large depth dimension was aft). As a result, we tended to "catch" the wind when the Royal was underway. Your cabin should get a little more wind protection.

Have a great sail.

Sounds as if they need to enlarge the Sanctuary.:D
Yes and no. It really depends on the weather and itinerary. On most ships, the Sanctuary is far forward so you'll feel lower temperatures and wind. Not all cruises are strictly warm weather cruises. On the Island and Coral, it's aft so you're much better protected. Plus, not everyone wants to spend that much extra.

I did a BVE on the Sapphire in San Pedro and after lunch (about 1:30pm), I went up to the Sanctuary because I was curious whether it was already booked for the cruise. Only eight loungers had been booked and they had quite a few available to be reserved for the whole cruise. All the rest were available for the day or half-day.

Edited by Pam in CA

Yes and no. It really depends on the weather and itinerary. On most ships, the Sanctuary is far forward so you'll feel lower temperatures and wind. Not all cruises are strictly warm weather cruises. On the Island and Coral, it's aft so you're much better protected. Plus, not everyone wants to spend that much extra.

Hi Pam. Should I assume that the Sanctuary won't get much use on a September Canada/NE itinerary?

Nicole - that was a good cabin move. better room, plus you will have a slightly larger balcony that is aft facing (i.e large depth dimension is forward). We were in D407 that also had a larger balcony (54 sq. ft.), but it was forward facing (large depth dimension was aft). As a result, we tended to "catch" the wind when the Royal was underway. Your cabin should get a little more wind protection.

Have a great sail.

Hi YL..Do you have any photos of the D407 balcony?

I was on the maiden Royal voyage from Barcelona to Venice. I booked into the Sanctuary on the last day for the arrival into Venice - best view on the ship. Because it was the last day I got the whole day for the price of half of the day. The choice of loungers locations was not he best however.

What frustrated me about the whole Sanctuary experience was the number of people who arrive on the ship and book a spot for the whole cruise. When I went to get a spot the last day the host manning the desk told me there were passengers who booked a spot for the entire cruise and never showed up. What a waste for those of us who would have like a better location to sunbathe for a few hours. It was really interesting to be told the Sanctuary had no available seating and it was bloody well empty.