Royal Princess: Sanctuary? Enclave? Worth the extra money?

jeanico

What frustrated me about the whole Sanctuary experience was the number of people who arrive on the ship and book a spot for the whole cruise. When I went to get a spot the last day the host manning the desk told me there were passengers who booked a spot for the entire cruise and never showed up. What a waste for those of us who would have like a better location to sunbathe for a few hours. It was really interesting to be told the Sanctuary had no available seating and it was bloody well empty.

I ran across this same experience on Ruby Princess, it was 'booked' but completely empty when I went up there on several occasions. It seems like there should be a better system, but I can't think of how. :confused:

We are on the Royal at the moment and as this cruise only has two sea days did not think it was worth the money to book the whole cruise, on the last sea day we queued from 7.30 am, there were cabanas round the retreat pool available and around 30 beds in the Sanctury, we were able to book three together for an afternoon slot and it was wonderful, the retreat pool gets very windy some people who had booked cabanas there abandoned them.

Re balconies I originally booked a deluxe in the 700's as it was a new ship I didn't keep the no upgrade and was upgraded to the same type but mid ships, when I got on board I realised this was a big mistake as the central balconies look down onto the lifeboats whichever deck you are on, no balconies except aft look directly down to the sea.

I

Hi Pam. Should I assume that the Sanctuary won't get much use on a September Canada/NE itinerary?
Yeah, unless it's unusually warm, which I wouldn't expect.

If someone has booked, and paid for, the Sanctuary for the whole cruise, I don't see an issue if they're not there all day every day. How much they use it isn't any of my business. There are quite a few loungers set aside for per diem booking.

When I was on the Island last year, I had an oceanview cabin instead of my usual balcony. I booked the Sanctuary for the whole cruise. Port days, I was on tour; sea days, I might show up at 10am and stay until 1pm, leave for lunch and to walk around a bit, and then be back by 2:30pm, staying until 4-4:30pm. I thoroughly enjoyed it and booking the Sanctuary for the cruise was cheaper than upgrading to a balcony. Others booked for the whole cruise used the loungers similarly. They came and went, rarely spending more than 2-3 hours at a time on the loungers. From outside appearances, it could have looked like people weren't using the loungers. In reality, they were.

Thanks Pam for the input. The way you describe it, and for me personally, I don't think I'll try it then this time around on Royal Princess. Even though I'll only be on her for two weeks I think that I may be too busy to completely slow down enough to enjoy booking it for a whole week and get much use out of it. May try for a Day Pass on one of the port days like Saint Martin on the second go around in conjunction with a Day Pass for the Enclave.

Yeah, unless it's unusually warm, which I wouldn't expect.

If someone has booked, and paid for, the Sanctuary for the whole cruise, I don't see an issue if they're not there all day every day. How much they use it isn't any of my business. There are quite a few loungers set aside for per diem booking.

When I was on the Island last year, I had an oceanview cabin instead of my usual balcony. I booked the Sanctuary for the whole cruise. Port days, I was on tour; sea days, I might show up at 10am and stay until 1pm, leave for lunch and to walk around a bit, and then be back by 2:30pm, staying until 4-4:30pm. I thoroughly enjoyed it and booking the Sanctuary for the cruise was cheaper than upgrading to a balcony. Others booked for the whole cruise used the loungers similarly. They came and went, rarely spending more than 2-3 hours at a time on the loungers. From outside appearances, it could have looked like people weren't using the loungers. In reality, they were.

Thanks for this. With only 1 sea day, and possibly a chilly one, it will be interesting to see how it goes. ;)

What frustrated me about the whole Sanctuary experience was the number of people who arrive on the ship and book a spot for the whole cruise. When I went to get a spot the last day the host manning the desk told me there were passengers who booked a spot for the entire cruise and never showed up. What a waste for those of us who would have like a better location to sunbathe for a few hours. It was really interesting to be told the Sanctuary had no available seating and it was bloody well empty.

I witnessed this in the Caribbean. We would sit outside the Sanctuary on the sun deck on sea days and the only thing sitting on the lounge chairs were reserve cards. I wish I had extra money to throw away.

Is that like a spa pass or something different, not familiar with the term.:confused:
The Sanctuary has nothing to do with the Spa. It's an adults only area with thickly-padded loungers and attendants to bring you food and drinks, towels, etc.

I wish I had extra money to throw away.

This is the biggest reason I'm so conflicted about booking the Sanctuary. On one hand, I would have a guaranteed lounger, and would be able to go to lunch and activities and know that my chair is waiting for me on my return. OTOH, I would be paying to rent a chair, and would feel like, if I didn't stay in it and enjoy it, I'd be wasting my money.

Such a quandary.

The Sanctuary has nothing to do with the Spa. It's an adults only area with thickly-padded loungers and attendants to bring you food and drinks, towels, etc.

She was asking about The Enclave, not the Sanctuary.

Annie, check this out...

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2012/08/Princess-Cruises-Reveals-the-Ultimate-in-Relaxation-Aboard-Royal-Princess.html

We just returned from the Aug. 10th sailing. My MIL wanted a cabana on both sea days. The Sanctuary opens @ 8:30. My hubby got up there @ 7:00 to queue. They sold out immediately. We went up @ 6:00 the next sea day. Very much enjoyed the cabana for the day :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 months later...

My husband and I were on the December 15th cruise. We got to the ship extremely early because we wanted to reserve the Sanctuary. We were in the Elite boarding line and raced up to the Sanctuary as soon as we boarded (around 11:30). We were passengers 11 and 12 and were able to get a spot BUT ONLY FOUR MORE PEOPLE after us could reserve spots for the entire week (they only sell 16 seats on a weekly basis; the rest can be reserved on a day by day basis IF you get there early enough to do so). This was a major source of contention for MANY of the passengers and left a really bad taste in their mouths. If you are not an Elite passenger, you might as well give up even thinking about reserving space for the entire week.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Is the Retreat pool separate from the Sanctuary - in other words, it is an adult pool with loungers that anyone (adults) can go into and use, without an extra charge?

The Retreat Pool is not part of the Sanctuary. The Retreat pool is open to any and all guests 18 and over. Lounge chairs for any guest to use, the cabañas are extra. There's a bar up there too.

The Sanctuary is totally separated and has no pool associated with it...

Does anybody have any updates on pricing for the sanctuary, sanctuary cabanas or the enclave?

Pricing for normal Sanctuary loungers is $40 per day, $20 per half day and $30 per full day for entire cruise... Sanctuary Cabañas and Retreat Pool cabañas, can't help. Enclave pricing is dependent on length of cruise....

Perhaps ask on the current Live From Royal thread about such. Or wait a week till Royal starts into her normal Caribbean 10-night sailings for the pricing then..

A gracious good afternoon to all my fellow cruisers! My hubby, adult daughter and I will be sailing on the Royal Princess on December 1st (our 2nd time on a Princess Cruise... the first was years ago when the Grand was new!) :), and we were wondering whether passes to the Sanctuary or the Enclave are good investments. Does anyone know what the weekly cost would be in both cases? I can't seem to find any definitive answers online, including whether you can purchase a couples pass for the Enclave. Also, if you could purchase passes for only one of those two beautiful areas, which one would it be and why?

ThankSanc you in advance for your input and pearls of wisdom!

Nicole

PS: We just decided to change our stateroom from a category BB to a category DA (D411). Hope it was a good move!

Sanctuary is $210 per chair for the cruise.

Is any one going to answer the question about the enclave? I would like to know about that too.

When someone has current pricing for you, they will. Given that the Royal is currently on a transatlantic and hasn't started it's Caribbean season yet, no one knows what the price will be this year... And, at least historically, the Enclave isn't sold on a day basis, only cruise long, so there's currently no price for it as it hasn't started its 10-night sailings yet...

Hopefully on her first 10-nighter, someone will come by and let us all know.. You're welcome....

I think the question is "is the enclave worth any money, not how much". The Enclave has been on the ship since it was built, so we don't have to wait until it gets back to the states. I think I know the price, as many people do, just don't know if it's worth it. People would like to know if it's too crowded to use or if the beds are warm......You're welcome!

Edited by bklyn48cp
spelling