Cruise Weight........

nycruise

Okay, I"ll confess..... I generally put on 5 pounds during a 1 week cruise, more if it's longer. Luckily I can generally lose half of it in a week and the rest within a month of the cruise. :D

If I'm really good I'll drop a couple of pounds before the cruise in anticipation but unfortunately that's not always the case. You know what they say about good intentions.;)

My husband and I usually hold our own. We never take the elevator, except on embarkation day if we're in a suite and are taken up to Cagneys for lunch. Our cabin is usually either aft or forward, so we take looooong walks down the corridors. We try to walk/jog a few times on the jogging track each cruise, and my husband usually hits the gym a few times, too.

We try to be active on shore--lots of walking around. Somehow, it evens out by end of the trip, even though we've eaten in the specialty restaurants without regard to calorie counts, almost always have afternoon tea and desserts. Must be magic!:)

I've been lucky with cruising and weight gain. I enjoy all the fresh fruit and lovely variety of salads...........without doing the frequent shopping and all that dicing and slicing! Also, I'm not a fan of most NCL deserts. Like most of us, I try and cut back on the "goodies" about a month before cruising and drop a few pounds............just in case I throw caution to the wind and go whole hog. Now after "whole hog" I'm wishing for baby back ribs!

I took a 15 day cruise from California to Hawaii with my DH and favorite cousin. She gained 2 pounds, DH stayed the same, and I put on 7 pounds. I told them they weren't even on the same ship I was on. It seems so unfair to be the person who can gain weight by just saying the word "ice cream."

I agree with taking the stairs whenever possible. It does help. I also have a rule for desserts. If it doesn't taste good enough to warrant the calories I don't finish it. I hate to feel "wasteful" but prefer that over "waist-full". ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I average about 6-10 pounds per cruise. I remember the hubbys 2nd cruise, he gained 12 :eek: that time around. LOL We always try to walk the steps when possible and we are always on the go (we are not the type to just lounge around on deck) but always manage to eat A LOT. LOL :p

I'm going on my 1st cruise in a few weeks and the potential weight gain worries me. I once put 10lb on on holiday to an all inclusive! Would hope that 7lb is the max for this cruise! Will try taking the stairs and try and keep active to help keep it down.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been lucky with cruising and weight gain. I enjoy all the fresh fruit and lovely variety of salads...........without doing the frequent shopping and all that dicing and slicing! Also, I'm not a fan of most NCL deserts. Like most of us, I try and cut back on the "goodies" about a month before cruising and drop a few pounds............just in case I throw caution to the wind and go whole hog. Now after "whole hog" I'm wishing for baby back ribs!

I usually stay about the same and DH loses a bit. Like you, we enjoy the many fresh fruits and salads that are out of season when we usually cruise. I also think the cruise ships use less additives than prepared foods and fast foods. I gained on my first several cruises, but now try to make sure what I consume is worth the cost in calories. And yes, usually the desserts on all cruise lines look better than they taste (with exceptions, of course).

Like many others we really enjoy our cruises, including all the delicious food. I love to walk and explore the ship and I never take the stairs. My first cruise was 7 days and I gained 7 lbs by eating and not doing anything. So from then on, I never take the elevator, always the stairs. I love walking the ship, it's fun. I generally don't visit the gym on my vacation (hey, it's vacation, right?) Even on a ten day cruise, didn't gain a pound that way :)

I started Weight Watchers in January and went on a cruise in May. Lost 1 pound and was so excited.

Like many others, I took the stairs often and also just made good choices for breakfast (like a 1 egg omelet as opposed to 3), ate a lighter lunch than usual (with more fruit at lunch) and for dinner asked for extra veggies instead of potatoes. This worked out well for me.

Tracy

I started Weight Watchers in January and went on a cruise in May. Lost 1 pound and was so excited.

Like many others, I took the stairs often and also just made good choices for breakfast (like a 1 egg omelet as opposed to 3), ate a lighter lunch than usual (with more fruit at lunch) and for dinner asked for extra veggies instead of potatoes. This worked out well for me.

Tracy

That's great to hear! I am on WW too. My plan is to stay 'on plan' for breakfast and lunch then eat what I please for dinner. I think with the added activity, I should minimize weight gain. It worked for my recent land vacation to a lake so we'll see.

In the past, I average about a 5-7lb weight gain on my cruises.

Like many others we almost never use the elevators plus walk around a lot. We have Fitbits for this cruise so will be interested to see how many steps we'll get each day. I tend to have a big breakfast once or twice and the rest just have cereal or toast & fruit for breakfast. I like fish a lot so tend to have it most nights. I usually gain 2-3 lbs no matter whether it's 1-2 weeks. I'm trying to lose 3 lbs per-cruise and am almost there in the nick of time. We also have 3 days in NYC so will be tough to not gain but walking will help.

What I like about cruise meals is that the servings aren't huge which is important when you're having starters & dessert. The drink specials can be killers but will have the odd one along with wine. I don't worry too much because I do want to enjoy the options so it's all about balance.

Good thread regarding weight gain on the cruise it happens every time at least 5 pounds some of my cloths get snug at end of week! :eek:oh well I'm dieting and walking now so in 30! Days or so I can eat what I want on cruise and do my best to walk all over ship:D

I think that I gain weight because there is so much food around all the time. I feel that it is my responsibility to try some of all of it... thus weight gain. This next cruise, I'm going with a plan of not eating everything.

Nancy

Archived