Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

That's fine, but if you don't want to feel overly full you'll take my advice and skip lunch. It's too much food otherwise.

The alternative is to alternate lunch and afternoon tea.

Oh, not to worry my friend ;), we kids can eat just about as much as a trucker, but are half their size. We literally get hungry every 3 hours or so LOL. In our mind (on cruises), we do not seek food when we are hungry, no Sir, we seek out food when we are no longer full :D.

On our last cruise, we went each day by this schedule: wake up, eat breakfast in dining room/lido, run around, eat lunch, run around, afternoon tea, run around, eat dinner, watch night time show, go upstairs to Lido and eat night time snack. (: Good suggestion, but I'm sure we will manage ^^~

Oh, not to worry my friend ;), we kids can eat just about as much as a trucker, but are half their size. We literally get hungry every 3 hours or so LOL. In our mind (on cruises), we do not seek food when we are hungry, no Sir, we seek out food when we are no longer full :D.

On our last cruise, we went each day by this schedule: wake up, eat breakfast in dining room/lido, run around, eat lunch, run around, afternoon tea, run around, eat dinner, watch night time show, go upstairs to Lido and eat night time snack. (: Good suggestion, but I'm sure we will manage ^^~

Perhaps, youth is not wasted on the young, contrary to Mr. Shaw's therory ;):)

Sarah what does ^^~ mean? I googled it, but found no results:confused: Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Perhaps, youth is not wasted on the young, contrary to Mr. Shaw's therory ;):)

Sarah what does ^^~ mean? Thanks, -S.

:D:D:D

&& ^^ is supposed to represent laughing eyes, like, ( ^_^ ), the ~ is just to be cheerful or cute. Like, "hello~" :)

it's like an emoticon! Used commonly on online games and such to represent laughter, like "heehee".

Edited by lovely_serenity

:D:D:D

&& ^^ is supposed to represent laughing eyes, like, ( ^_^ ), the ~ is just to be cheerful or cute. Like, "hello~" :)

it's like an emoticon! Used commonly on online games and such to represent laughter, like "hehe"

Ok, thanks. I'm totally clueless when it comes to emoticons. :confused: <---see, how lame is that?

:)Seriously, hang around kid, and educate us please*. Cheers, -S.

*with the approval of your parents, of course. You do have your parents approval for posting on cruise critic forums, right?

Edited by Salacia

Sarah, you mentioned that you enjoy room service for breakfast - that's what I usually do too because I'm not much of a breakfast eater. You'll find a breakfast menu card in your cabin when you return from dinner. It's not very extensive, but I usually order the fruit plate and cereal. Occasionally, I've written a request on the card like "Strawberries, please, if available"...and <puff> strawberries arrive on the breakfast tray.

Anyway, select the breakfast items you want, the time you want it served (I've found that it usually arrives slightly before or right on time), and hang the card outside your cabin door before you go to bed. We usually tip the room service person a couple of dollars, depending on the size of the order - but that's optional. (If you want to do that, have the $ ready because the server is in and out of your cabin in a flash.)

At least once you might want to try breakfast in the dining room. I hear the pancakes are fantastic:) Just to mention on the day you disembark, there is no room service (only the buffet and the dining rooms are open).

Really looking forward to reading about your cruise! :) -Salacia

Definitely! I find that they're (cruise lines) are pretty awesome regarding accomodating the guests wants! When I use room service, it's typically for midnight snacks, or perhaps even after afternoon tea if we're still hungry.

Yup, we always tip the guy that delivers our food, about a dollar a person (if we ordered a lot). If I wake up early enough, I take a shower and then wake up the rest of my family (this includes a random 2 minute long knocking on my parent's door :D).

Oh seriously? They don't give you one of those breakfast room service cards the night before? I had no idea!

& if the dining room is open, from around what time to what time?

When you've been used to school routines, work routines, home routines, then just the thought of someone knocking on your door, with a nice hot cup of tea, some toast, maybe some fruit, and then takes all the dishes away again, is really decadent. And then repeat the process the next day? Bliss.

When you've been used to school routines, work routines, home routines, then just the thought of someone knocking on your door, with a nice hot cup of tea, some toast, maybe some fruit, and then takes all the dishes away again, is really decadent. And then repeat the process the next day? Bliss.

I hear that! I suppose we all have different meanings of the word 'decadent'.

A charming delight is what I feel when room service is delivered. :)

Edited to add: copied from http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/decadent

Definition of decadent in English

adjective

characterized by or reflecting a state of moral or cultural decline.

luxuriously self-indulgent

Edited by Salacia

Hi Sarah,

Reading through this thread and witnessing your great spirit, my first bit of advice would be not to lose that spirit of anticipation. Your joy is evident in each of your posts. :)

The QE is a wonderful ship. Great coffee cafe. Warm and inviting library. The book/gift store is also another favorite spot that we enjoyed. The ladies working there were so helpful. To meet and chat with any new friends you make on board (and I'm sure with your attitude you will make many new ones) the Lido was a very relaxing place to pass time getting acquainted and the food was delicious. The Britannia has yummy (way too yummy :-) french toast at breakfast. If you want to be a 'couch potato', may I suggest grabbing a spot in the Winter Garden and watching the 'world go by', or playing a game, etc.

Enjoyed reading about how you will get your dad to dress to your specifications;)...he is one blessed man to have a daughter that is so attentive to his future welfare on board. :D

With your attitude, I think you will take 'any unpleasant experiences' in stride.

A trait that will serve you very well as you grow older.

happy sailing and really looking forward to reading your report when you return.

seasidegal

p.s. It is easier to partake of both lunch and afternoon tea if you have late seating....early seating makes it a tough go (not that it can't be done :eek:

Hi seasidegal!

Haha, is it really that evident? Because over here on my end, I'm literally bouncing off the walls! LOL

Very nice suggestions! && regarding making friends, I'm sure I'll meet some very nice people! (But from the looks of Cunard's target demographic, I'm not so sure I'll fit it LOL, let's just say that I'm still not old enough to drink in any country around my side of the world :D).

LOL, my dad's new mantra has been "Leave me alonneee (−_−;)" Hahaha :D

Your thoughtful words made smile (: thank you very much!

I will absolutely do my best to write a report that you will enjoy!

Best wishes,

Judging by her recent HAL Alaska review thread, I don't think Sarah will have a problem with that. This girl and her siblings can really put it away! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Sarah, I loved reading your HAL Alaska thread and seeing your pictures. The food pics always made me so hungry and overall reminiscent of my own HAL Alaska cruise in 2010. I can't wait to do it again!

I just came home from my 2nd QM2 crossing and enjoyed every second of it. I think you'll enjoy Cunard too. Fancier than HAL, but IMO that what makes it fun.

I can't wait to read a review of your QE sailing!

KK

LOL :D:D:D I agree! (But sadly this time, my brother's not coming ): , he has to work/university).

Oh, I'm very happy to hear that! Thanks! Hahaha, my food pictures have that evil affect. & that's great! :) I hope it'll live up to your expectations ;).

That's awesome, what was the best part of it? I am SO excited because us kids LOVE fancy things. People who speak with an English accent and play croquet are the pinnacle of fanciness to us LOL.

Ok, thanks. I'm totally clueless when it comes to emoticons. :confused: <---see, how lame is that?

:)Seriously, hang around kid, and educate us please*. Cheers, -S.

*with the approval of your parents, of course. You do have your parents approval for posting on cruise critic forums, right?

Haha that's no big deal (:

LOL I will try my best :D:D

(Of course :p They've even read my HAL Alaska trip report!)

Haha that's no big deal (:

LOL I will try my best :D:D

(Of course :p They've even read my HAL Alaska trip report!)

Good to know. Perhaps your parents will drop by and let us all know they have no problem with your posting. We tend to look out for minors here, and while we appreciate your postings, parental approval is hahaha as you know appreciated LOL. :p

Good to know. Perhaps your parents will drop by and let us all know they have no problem with your posting. We tend to look out for minors here, and while we appreciate your postings, parental approval is hahaha as you know appreciated LOL. :p

LOL I'm 17, I'm not THAT young :D:D , and my parents don't do things like forums, it took SO much explaining to get them onto my trip report page as guests.

LOL I'm 17, I'm not THAT young :D:D , and my parents don't do things like forums, it took SO much explaining to get them onto my trip report page as guests.

LOL, that's too funny. They don't monitor your on-line postings?, and yet you wrote that your mom told you that you were too young to date (she might be right, but maybe LOL she needs to monitor your on line postings too hhehehehe) ROLF :D

LOL, that's too funny. They don't monitor your on-line postings?, and yet you wrote that your mom told you that you were too young to date (she might be right, but maybe LOL she needs to monitor your on line postings too hhehehehe) ROLF :D

Hahaha, when interesting things or funny things arise, I definitely tell them all about it! They haven't a clue how forums work, they're those technologically inept-type parents LOL. No need to worry, they're very supportive of my Cruise Critic Forum scouring (: I show my dad what I'm doing all the time. && about the too young to date, it's because my Dad's the "Daddy's little girl" kind of Dad haha. He freaks out everytime me or my sister wears a skirt shorter than my knee haha ^^.

Edited by lovely_serenity

I have a question! Can somebody explain or describe the kind of style/types of clothes I'm supposed to wear for these formal night themed Balls? (I just found out our 4 formal themes):

Cunard Ball

Elizabethean Ball

London Ball

Starlight Ball

What should one wear for these? (Like, what you"re "supposed" to wear) ie. colors, types of clothing etc.

Hahaha, when interesting things or funny things arise, I definitely tell them all about it! They haven't a clue how forums work, they're those technologically inept-type parents LOL. No need to worry, they're very supportive of my Cruise Critic Forum scouring (: I show my dad what I'm doing all the time. && about the too young to date, it's because my Dad's the "Daddy's little girl" kind of Dad haha. He freaks out everytime me or my sister wears a skirt shorter than my knee haha ^^.

LOL, I must say I surprised your parents don't take an interest in your postings on the internet. Didn't you write that you dad was a pilot? Wow that must be a rough job for someone who is technologically inept ROLF

Edited by Salacia

LOL, I must say I surprised your parents don't take an interest in your postings on the internet. Didn't you write that you dad was a pilot? Wow that must be a rough job for someone who is technologically inept ROLF

Yeah, they aren't too concerned about what I do, I'm a good kid :D, I mean, I have a 4.0 GPA, how bad can I be LOL

ROFL Hahahah, no, he does work at Air Canada, but he's a baggage agent. :D He's the guy that saves you when your bag disappears on your way to another country. (ie. the bag misconnected).

Hi seasidegal!

Haha, is it really that evident? Because over here on my end, I'm literally bouncing off the walls! LOL

Bouncing is a good thing it will get you in shape to tackle all that delicious food on the ship.:D

Very nice suggestions! && regarding making friends, I'm sure I'll meet some very nice people! (But from the looks of Cunard's target demographic, I'm not so sure I'll fit it LOL, let's just say that I'm still not old enough to drink in any country around my side of the world :D).

Sarah, when I took my 15 year old grandson on Cunard there was a nice size group of teens between his age and yours. He had a great time. This spring on QE we saw a good number of teens and in the evenings they were beautiful in their formal wear.

LOL, my dad's new mantra has been "Leave me alonneee (−_−;)" Hahaha :D

I doubt very much he means that, eh ;)

Your thoughtful words made smile (: thank you very much!

Well, your posts make me smile.:D

I will absolutely do my best to write a report that you will enjoy!

Best wishes,

and best wishes to you, Sarah..

seasidegal

Yeah, they aren't too concerned about what I do, I'm a good kid :D, I mean, I have a 4.0 GPA, how bad can I be LOL

ROFL Hahahah, no, he does work at Air Canada, but he's a baggage agent. :D He's the guy that saves you when your bag disappears on your way to another country. (ie. the bag misconnected).

That's too funny ROFL.

LOL Yeah, gotta drop some pounds first ^^

&& But I'm skipping school and going in November, so I'm pretty sure we're going to be the only kids on board :D

Skipping school? && How cool is that <..>

But you also skipped school last spring...don't you get in any trouble for shipping school? lol, you must go to a really unusual school:D

Edited by Salacia