Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

LOL Yeah, gotta drop some pounds first ^^

&& But I'm skipping school and going in November, so I'm pretty sure we're going to be the only kids on board :D

Dropping pounds............just keep bouncing and they will disappear. ;)

When we took our grandson on Cunard he had to miss school, too. He did bring some school books with him which he managed not to open till the last two days of our 12 night crossing:eek:, however, once opened he did accomplish a minor miracle and get up to speed with his courses.

Have been reading your blog and love the fact you take so many pictures of food when you travel. Our last trip I took over 4,000 pictures in 5 and a half weeks with hundreds being of food. Food is a beautiful thing, eh? ;) Nothing makes your family and friends disappear as fast as telling them you have 4,000 pictures from your holiday.:D (suddenly they get very busy :-)

Your blog is very funny and entertaining. Really enjoying it.

best regards,

seasidegal

Skipping school? && How cool is that <..>

But you also skipped school last spring...don't you get in any trouble for skipping school? lol, you must go to a really unusual school:D

Naw, haha. Basically, you give the office a note explaining that you have to miss school for X amount of days due to your vacation. I have to work really hard to catch up and do all of the schoolwork I missed afterwards. Though I usually harass all of my teachers for a good week to make them tell me every single thing they're going to teach :D. So I'm usually okay.

lovely_serentity, just a quick question:

Are you receiving any compensation from cruise lines (or any other affiliated agency) for your posts?

-S.

No, no I am not. I do this purely for fun. I enjoy it :)

(but of course, I am hoping that perhaps a HAL or Cunard representative sees my trip reports and wants to give me free cruises for them ^_^ lol)

Edited by lovely_serenity

Dropping pounds............just keep bouncing and they will disappear. ;)

When we took our grandson on Cunard he had to miss school, too. He did bring some school books with him which he managed not to open till the last two days of our 12 night crossing, however, once opened he did accomplish a minor miracle and get up to speed with his courses.

Have been reading your blog and love the fact you take so many pictures of food when you travel. Our last trip I took over 4,000 pictures in 5 and a half weeks with hundreds being of food. Food is a beautiful thing, eh? Nothing makes your family and friends disappear as fast as telling them you have 4,000 pictures from your holiday. (suddenly they get very busy :-)

Your blog is very funny and entertaining. Really enjoying it.

best regards,

seasidegal

Haha, good idea :D

I doubt I'm going to be taking any books with me since all we're bringing are a carry on luggage + backpack each. And this is for 12 nights + a couple days in Rome! :eek:

Oh, thanks for reading it! Wait, are you reading my blog or my thread? Because I haven't finished copying my thread posts into the blog ^^" If not, if my thread is over here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

LOL, well food is magnificent :D:D, one cannot help taking pictures of it! && Haha, tell me about it :rolleyes:

Thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

LOL, that's too funny. They don't monitor your on-line postings?, and yet you wrote that your mom told you that you were too young to date (she might be right, but maybe LOL she needs to monitor your on line postings too hhehehehe) ROLF :D
Would the real Salacia return to the keyboard please. Someone is using it without you knowing, hehehe LOL ROLF ;) :) :D . Edited by pepperrn

Would the real Salacia return to the keyboard please. Someone is using it without you knowing, hehehe LOL ROLF ;) :) :D .

Actually, I thought we had covered the subject of Rolf in some detail in an earlier thread :cool:

J

actually, i thought we had covered the subject of rolf in some detail in an earlier thread :cool: J
:) :)

Pepper.

"It's not the only way to cross, but it's the only way to cross"

QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photographs & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/ ...

...over half a million visits, thank you.

QM2 . Crossing review here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

QV . Cruise review here...

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098609

Edited by pepperrn
missing signature???

Would the real Salacia return to the keyboard please. Someone is using it without you knowing, hehehe LOL ROLF ;) :) :D .

With all the LOL's, the he he he's and the ROLF's (rolling on the floor laughing), this thread would have to classify as the funniest on the forum, displacing the dress code threads from 1st place. :eek:

Actually, I thought we had covered the subject of Rolf in some detail in an earlier thread :cool:

J

:D

seasidegal

:D No, it's me Pepper...I'm practicing writing like a teenager (although I don't know many teenagers who write like that LOL bit over the top, huh? ;) Salacia

I have a question! Can somebody explain or describe the kind of style/types of clothes I'm supposed to wear for these formal night themed Balls? (I just found out our 4 formal themes):

Cunard Ball

Elizabethean Ball

London Ball

Starlight Ball

What should one wear for these? (Like, what you"re "supposed" to wear) ie. colors, types of clothing etc.

(It seems no one has answered me yet o_o)

:D No, it's me Pepper...I'm practicing writing like a teenager (although I don't know many teenagers who write like that LOL bit over the top, huh? ;) Salacia

It seems my craziness is a little contageous, eh? :D:D:D

I have a question! Can somebody explain or describe the kind of style/types of clothes I'm supposed to wear for these formal night themed Balls? (I just found out our 4 formal themes):

Cunard Ball

Elizabethean Ball

London Ball

Starlight Ball

What should one wear for these? (Like, what you"re "supposed" to wear) ie. colors, types of clothing etc.

(It seems no one has answered me yet o_o)

I think the problem is that the examples you have posed are probably the hardest ones to answer, hence the lack of replies.

They have other themed nights such as the Black and White Ball, the Buccaneers' Ball, the Ascot ball and so on where the theme is much more obvious.

I think you can really approach this in a couple of ways.

The first and most obvious one, and also the one that seems to me to be observed by the majority of passengers, is simply to ignore the theme altogether and dress according to the dress code in force on the night in question. Usually, but not always these days, this will be formal.

The other thing to do is not to seek for some way of conforming but simply to let your imagination run riot and come up with your own concept of what the theme means. And it doesn't have to be full "fancy dress" - it can simply be a small accessory. The sort of thing I'm thinking about is say, for the Starlight Ball, try to get hold of one of those Star Fleet badges that the crew all wear in Star Trek.

I know this isn't going to be much help for you but maybe it will kickstart some discussion.

SIQKLF

J

Hi!

This November, my family and I are going to be embarking on our very first Cunard cruise to the Mediterranean. We are going on the Queen Elizabeth to the Geek Isles & the Holy land. (It will be my 8th cruise though)

I was wondering if any of you veteran Cunarders out there had any tips, tricks or advice that would help maximize our enjoyment on this vacation. Perhaps even help us evade any unpleasant experiences!

Anything helps!

Thanks! :)

Lovely_Serenity! I have just had an idea. With all the Q + A's you could submit an updated FAQ to Cunard for their perusal. It will help other teenagers, too.

Lovely_Serenity! I have just had an idea. With all the Q + A's you could submit an updated FAQ to Cunard for their perusal. It will help other teenagers, too.

Very interesting idea! I'll think about it! I'm also going to go through Cunard's FAQ's to see what existing questions are being displayed, so I can see what they're missing!

That's awesome, what was the best part of it?

So many things; it's hard to choose just one!

I love getting my first glimpse of the ship, boarding with all of the white-gloved attendants, seeing that she's still as beautiful and elegant as I remembered, opening my cabin door for the first time, getting invites in my mail slot, delicious chocolates on my pillow and reading the Daily Programme before bed each night, luxurious treatments in the spa, the pomp and circumstance of afternoon tea (no one does this better!), people-watching on formal nights, the great production quality of the shows... As you can tell, I can go on and on!

If you appreciate "fancy" then you're going to love Cunard!

KK

Edited by KitKatK

I think the problem is that the examples you have posed are probably the hardest ones to answer, hence the lack of replies.

They have other themed nights such as the Black and White Ball, the Buccaneers' Ball, the Ascot ball and so on where the theme is much more obvious.

I think you can really approach this in a couple of ways.

The first and most obvious one, and also the one that seems to me to be observed by the majority of passengers, is simply to ignore the theme altogether and dress according to the dress code in force on the night in question. Usually, but not always these days, this will be formal.

The other thing to do is not to seek for some way of conforming but simply to let your imagination run riot and come up with your own concept of what the theme means. And it doesn't have to be full "fancy dress" - it can simply be a small accessory. The sort of thing I'm thinking about is say, for the Starlight Ball, try to get hold of one of those Star Fleet badges that the crew all wear in Star Trek.

I know this isn't going to be much help for you but maybe it will kickstart some discussion.

SIQKLF

J

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'm going to look for accessories and jewelry to and of match the themes!

Thanks for trying though :)!

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'm going to look for accessories and jewelry to and of match the themes!

Thanks for trying though :)!

One does one's humble best.

Where's Whitemarsh when you really need him?

LORF

J

What a great idea.

LadyL1 wrote the following on the formal dress thread:

I was also on this cruise as mentioned by the OP. I was amazed (and pleased) by the standard of the dress code all around the ship considering it was only 7 days and in school holidays.

In the evening the young persons in the dining room where always dressed in the correct attire and were a credit to their parents. I understand there were 130 under 18's travelling, and their behaviour, at all times, was exemplary! This was really refreshing as you so often read negative posts of children on ships in the holiday period.

Cunard hopefully noticed the upkeep of the dress code, and it certainly seemed to go against their expectations that people wish to be a little more casual!

I noticed on our crossings that the teenagers were really enjoying dressing up and their outfits contributed to the lovely atmosphere at night. Reading

LadyL1's comments made me :).

Cunard will be pleased to know that their campaign to attract a younger demographic has had such immediate results

And that demographic seems to love to dress up....:D how sweet is that.;)

best regards,

seasidegal

One does one's humble best.

Where's Whitemarsh when you really need him?

LORF

J

I was wondering that myself :confused:

He is missed in these type of discussions, however, you are a good 'stand-in'.:)

BTW...is "LORF" related to "ROLF":confused::)

best regards,

seasidegal

...BTW...is "LORF" related to "ROLF":confused::)

best regards,

seasidegal

I dunno - I was just following in the footsteps of Salacia the trendsetter.

I thought we were now expected to end all posts with a random selection of letters.

FLOR

J