Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

My tip for something not to be missed on the QE is a meal in Verandah. It is an extra pay restaurant but, IMHO, well worth the extra cost. You can find the menu via this link:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/example_menu

And this link gives the taster menu which, I think, is about $35 pp but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39307579&postcount=5

Enjoy!

Edited by Happyboating

I'm actually asking on behalf of my father, I will be travelling with Mum, Dad and younger Sis. So the only man here will be Daddy. It's because he rarely finds a use for a tux that he doesn't have one, so he usually just wears a dark suit + tie. I was worried that that'd look too casual compared to everyone else :/. For formal night I mean. What do you think?
Hello again lovely_serenity,

Your father will be fine in a dark suit and tie, he need have no concerns about that at all (he might want to consider buying a dinner-suit for the next Cunard voyage, and the one after that, and the one... :D , as he'll get a lot of use out of it!).

As regards you not having a partner, please take it as a sincere compliment that I had no indication from your photographs or the mature way in which you write, of your actual age :) . Your parents must be very, very proud of you, and with some justification :) .

All best wishes, you and your family will have a great time on the Queen Elizabeth I'm sure.

Edited by pepperrn

So the only man here will be Daddy ^^. It's because he rarely finds a use for a tux that he doesn't have one, so he usually just wears a dark suit + tie. I was worried that that'd look too casual compared to everyone else :/. For formal night I mean.

As Pepper stated above your father's dark suit will be fine. My Dad (who has a few decades on yours) didn't have a suit that fit anymore so he got a lovely dark graphite color one with a very subtle stripe in it. It will be his funeral attire when that time comes :D

Anyway, for formal nights your Father will probably want to wear a white shirt with a dark tie, and for the semi-formal (or whatever they are calling them) he can wear a shirt with color and a less somber tie if he wishes. ;)

Have a great time!

The QE is a beautiful ship, my favourite :)

Afternoon tea is not to be missed, but if you want to eat it in the Queens Room then get there a good 20 minutes or so beforehand as it gets very busy and you might have to wait for a table, which is a bit frustrating. Or go and eat it in the self service restaurant, it's exactly the same food and you can keep replenishing your plate! The smoothies there at breakfast are great too. I didn't get chance to try the lunch pizza and pasta that is made fresh there, that's one for my next trip!

Go to every evening show if you can, and get changed and dress accordingly for your evening meal, makes it so much more special.

Room service tea and coffee and ( I think all but might not be correct) foods are free, make the most of it, especially if you have come in from a long day out and want a bit of pampering and to put your feet up. You can also ask for afternoon tea to be delivered, and they also have decaf tea and coffee. Mum and I had breakfast in our room a couple of times which was lovely.

If you're sporty the gym is great, especially the early morning stretch classes from 7-8am, but I don't know if you might be old enough to go to them yet, and I also can't remember the minimum age to use it. Go swimming! If there's a spa waffle turn up to it, you might win something and is not too much time out of your day, just don't give in to the sales pitch :o

Don't unpack straight away, you have plenty time for that, instead have a wander around the ship while people are still boarding, explore and enjoy. If you turn up at muster drill just before it starts then you'll be sat at the back and able to leave first when it's over!

Take lots and lots of photos, there is lovely art work all around the ship to enjoy.

Chat to your fellow passengers, you never know who you might meet.

Make the most of every minute, it all goes much too quickly.

Enjoy!

My tip for something not to be missed on the QE is a meal in Verandah. It is an extra pay restaurant but, IMHO, well worth the extra cost. You can find the menu via this link:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/example_menu

And this link gives the taster menu which, I think, is about $35 pp but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39307579&postcount=5

Enjoy!

Oh, this is perfect! I always love reading menus of the restaurants beforehand! :) so this is great, thanks!

Hello again lovely_serenity,

Your father will be fine in a dark suit and tie, he need have no concerns about that at all (he might want to consider buying a dinner-suit for the next Cunard voyage, and the one after that, and the one... :D , as he'll get a lot of use out of it!).

As regards you not having a partner, please take it as a sincere compliment that I had no indication from your photographs or the mature way in which you write, of your actual age :) . Your parents must be very, very proud of you, and with some justification :) .

All best wishes, you and your family will have a great time on the Queen Elizabeth I'm sure.

Hi Pepper! ^^

Whew! That's good to know! He complains that he looks like a waiter if he's decked out in only black & white, but I'm probably going to pester him until he dresses up my way LOL. Definitely, he's already planning to get some suits tailored for him on his next shopping trip to Beijing with my brother! :) So it's a good thing I stuck the tuxedo thought into his head ^^~

Aw, thank you very much! (: That is very kind of you. Your compliment made me feel all happy inside =^^= hehe.

Best wishes to you as well, and thank you! I hope as well that our cruise will go swimmingly! :)

As Pepper stated above your father's dark suit will be fine. My Dad (who has a few decades on yours) didn't have a suit that fit anymore so he got a lovely dark graphite color one with a very subtle stripe in it. It will be his funeral attire when that time comes :D

Anyway, for formal nights your Father will probably want to wear a white shirt with a dark tie, and for the semi-formal (or whatever they are calling them) he can wear a shirt with color and a less somber tie if he wishes. ;)

Have a great time!

That's good, my Dad told me to leave him alone when I kept bothering him about getting a tux haha. "My Dad (who has a few decades on yours)" made me laugh. c: (lol)

Good advice, thanks! I mentioned this to my dad and he thought about it. Even though I can't get him to wear a tux (since there isn't one immediately available), I'm basically going to bother him until he succumbs to my fashion-based will. >:D

The QE is a beautiful ship, my favourite :)

Afternoon tea is not to be missed, but if you want to eat it in the Queens Room then get there a good 20 minutes or so beforehand as it gets very busy and you might have to wait for a table, which is a bit frustrating. Or go and eat it in the self service restaurant, it's exactly the same food and you can keep replenishing your plate! The smoothies there at breakfast are great too. I didn't get chance to try the lunch pizza and pasta that is made fresh there, that's one for my next trip!

Go to every evening show if you can, and get changed and dress accordingly for your evening meal, makes it so much more special.

Room service tea and coffee and ( I think all but might not be correct) foods are free, make the most of it, especially if you have come in from a long day out and want a bit of pampering and to put your feet up. You can also ask for afternoon tea to be delivered, and they also have decaf tea and coffee. Mum and I had breakfast in our room a couple of times which was lovely.

If you're sporty the gym is great, especially the early morning stretch classes from 7-8am, but I don't know if you might be old enough to go to them yet, and I also can't remember the minimum age to use it. Go swimming! If there's a spa raffle turn up to it, you might win something and is not too much time out of your day, just don't give in to the sales pitch :o

Don't unpack straight away, you have plenty time for that, instead have a wander around the ship while people are still boarding, explore and enjoy. If you turn up at muster drill just before it starts then you'll be sat at the back and able to leave first when it's over!

Take lots and lots of photos, there is lovely art work all around the ship to enjoy.

Chat to your fellow passengers, you never know who you might meet.

Make the most of every minute, it all goes much too quickly.

Enjoy!

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to write such a nice, long, thoughtful response! Very much appreciated! :)

Anyways, indeed, I plan on going to basically every single Afternoon tea that I can. I love Afternoon teas! ^^. I actually don't mind the wait, I'm a very patient person c:. Good advice though. && Oh, I didn't know that the self service restaurant had the same food as the Afternoon tea! (I assumed you're referring to the Lido restaurant?) The breakfast smoothies in the morning, are they complimentary? and if so, where can I find them? Because most things like smoothies require an additional cost.

I have a question, we;re on a 12 night cruise, how many different acts do you think they'll have? Because I'm pretty sure they'll eventually have to repeat some of their shows. right? I mean it'd be pretty difficult for them to have something different every single day, right? What can I expect?

Actually, my family is one that typically eats breakfast via room service on the last day ^^ haha. A good thought though!

I'm a typical teenage couch potato, so I doubt that I'd be up early enough to do that anyhow (:, my Mom on the other hand would probably get a kick out of it. She gets up super early to exercise and then she comes back to the cabin and finishes taking a shower before I've even awakened! LOL

If weather permits, I will definitely go for a swim! c: And I'll bring my little sister too!

I totally agree with that last one, when we get to the ship, we usually drop everything off in the room, grab our few things (ie. cameras, key cards etc) and go exploring! (Since we've eaten lunch already).

I have a question, as soon as you've boarded the ship, what are the dining options? Is the Lido the only place we're allowed to go for our embarkation lunch?

Yeah, I will definitely take plenty of pictures! When I get back, I will write my second trip report! They're basically complete pictorials of the entire cruise. ^^. I call it a Not-So-Live-from trip report! :D

Thanks for all the great advice!

Sarah,

I am especially looking forward to your food pictures and critiques as I will board QE in January. I want to be sure I know which foods are the winners and which ones I shouldn't waste my calories on.

I hope you and your family have an amazing time on Cunard!

Kathi

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to write such a nice, long, thoughtful response! Very much appreciated! :)

Anyways, indeed, I plan on going to basically every single Afternoon tea that I can. I love Afternoon teas! ^^. I actually don't mind the wait, I'm a very patient person c:. Good advice though. && Oh, I didn't know that the self service restaurant had the same food as the Afternoon tea! (I assumed you're referring to the Lido restaurant?) The breakfast smoothies in the morning, are they complimentary? and if so, where can I find them? Because most things like smoothies require an additional cost.

I have a question, we;re on a 12 night cruise, how many different acts do you think they'll have? Because I'm pretty sure they'll eventually have to repeat some of their shows. right? I mean it'd be pretty difficult for them to have something different every single day, right? What can I expect?

Actually, my family is one that typically eats breakfast via room service on the last day ^^ haha. A good thought though!

I'm a typical teenage couch potato, so I doubt that I'd be up early enough to do that anyhow (:, my Mom on the other hand would probably get a kick out of it. She gets up super early to exercise and then she comes back to the cabin and finishes taking a shower before I've even awakened! LOL

If weather permits, I will definitely go for a swim! c: And I'll bring my little sister too!

I totally agree with that last one, when we get to the ship, we usually drop everything off in the room, grab our few things (ie. cameras, key cards etc) and go exploring! (Since we've eaten lunch already).

I have a question, as soon as you've boarded the ship, what are the dining options? Is the Lido the only place we're allowed to go for our embarkation lunch?

Yeah, I will definitely take plenty of pictures! When I get back, I will write my second trip report! They're basically complete pictorials of the entire cruise. ^^. I call it a Not-So-Live-from trip report! :D

Thanks for all the great advice!

The acts aren't repeated during a 12 day cruise although some of the guest entertainers may do 2 different shows. Re lunch on embarkation, the Lido is your only option unless you are in one of the Grill suites. I only mention that point because if I don't do so, some other "contributor" will jump up and say "you can also get lunch in the Grill's restaurant" :) Smoothies are available at breakfast in the Lido or the main restaurant, plus the Grill's. :D:eek::D

Sarah,

I am especially looking forward to your food pictures and critiques as I will board QE in January. I want to be sure I know which foods are the winners and which ones I shouldn't waste my calories on.

I hope you and your family have an amazing time on Cunard!

Kathi

Kathi,

Oh, I think I see a reader of my trip report in the house ^^~ I will definitly do my best reporting everything I experienced straight back to you guys! :) and I hope they will help you keep your experience pleasant! I will report back all things both good & bad without fail! :D

Thank you! ^^

The acts aren't repeated during a 12 day cruise although some of the guest entertainers may do 2 different shows. Re lunch on embarkation, the Lido is your only option unless you are in one of the Grill suites. I only mention that point because if I don't do so, some other "contributor" will jump up and say "you can also get lunch in the Grill's restaurant" :) Smoothies are available at breakfast in the Lido or the main restaurant, plus the Grill's. :D:eek::D

First of all, I'd like to make note that the crawling bug in your signature scared me D,: I was lying in bed at night in the dark with my iPad very close to my face. And I thought it was a bug :( And I tried to kill it. I feel so trolled. LOL (sob)

ANYWAYS, (。-_-。) .. aHEM.

That's great to hear! :) that the shows will always be different! && thanks! Good to know that I'm not missing out on some alternative embarkation spot!

Are they smoothies free? :D

Edited by lovely_serenity

First of all, I'd like to make note that the crawling bug in your signature scared me D,: I was lying in bed at night in the dark with my iPad very close to my face. And I thought it was a bug :( And I tried to kill it. I feel so trolled. LOL (sob)

ANYWAYS, (。-_-。) .. aHEM.

That's great to hear! :) that the shows will always be different! && thanks! Good to know that I'm not missing out on some alternative embarkation spot!

Are they smoothies free? :D

Yes:)

Anyways, indeed, I plan on going to basically every single Afternoon tea that I can. I love Afternoon teas!

That's fine, but if you don't want to feel overly full you'll take my advice and skip lunch. It's too much food otherwise.

The alternative is to alternate lunch and afternoon tea.

Sarah, you mentioned that you enjoy room service for breakfast - that's what I usually do too because I'm not much of a breakfast eater. You'll find a breakfast menu card in your cabin when you return from dinner. It's not very extensive, but I usually order the fruit plate and cereal. Occasionally, I've written a request on the card like "Strawberries, please, if available"...and <puff> strawberries arrive on the breakfast tray.

Anyway, select the breakfast items you want, the time you want it served (I've found that it usually arrives slightly before or right on time), and hang the card outside your cabin door before you go to bed. We usually tip the room service person a couple of dollars, depending on the size of the order - but that's optional. (If you want to do that, have the $ ready because the server is in and out of your cabin in a flash.)

At least once you might want to try breakfast in the dining room. I hear the pancakes are fantastic:) Just to mention on the day you disembark, there is no room service (only the buffet and the dining rooms are open).

Really looking forward to reading about your cruise! :) -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

That's fine, but if you don't want to feel overly full you'll take my advice and skip lunch. It's too much food otherwise.

SACRILEGE!!!

J3B

:eek::eek::eek:

Hi!

This November, my family and I are going to be embarking on our very first Cunard cruise to the Mediterranean. We are going on the Queen Elizabeth to the Geek Isles & the Holy land. (It will be my 8th cruise though)

I was wondering if any of you veteran Cunarders out there had any tips, tricks or advice that would help maximize our enjoyment on this vacation. Perhaps even help us evade any unpleasant experiences!

Anything helps!

Thanks! :)

Hi Sarah,

Reading through this thread and witnessing your great spirit, my first bit of advice would be not to lose that spirit of anticipation. Your joy is evident in each of your posts. :)

The QE is a wonderful ship. Great coffee cafe. Warm and inviting library. The book/gift store is also another favorite spot that we enjoyed. The ladies working there were so helpful. To meet and chat with any new friends you make on board (and I'm sure with your attitude you will make many new ones) the Lido was a very relaxing place to pass time getting acquainted and the food was delicious. The Britannia has yummy (way too yummy :-) french toast at breakfast. If you want to be a 'couch potato', may I suggest grabbing a spot in the Winter Garden and watching the 'world go by', or playing a game, etc.

Enjoyed reading about how you will get your dad to dress to your specifications;)...he is one blessed man to have a daughter that is so attentive to his future welfare on board. :D

With your attitude, I think you will take 'any unpleasant experiences' in stride.

A trait that will serve you very well as you grow older.

happy sailing and really looking forward to reading your report when you return.

seasidegal

p.s. It is easier to partake of both lunch and afternoon tea if you have late seating....early seating makes it a tough go (not that it can't be done :eek:

Judging by her recent HAL Alaska review thread, I don't think Sarah will have a problem with that. This girl and her siblings can really put it away! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Sarah, I loved reading your HAL Alaska thread and seeing your pictures. The food pics always made me so hungry and overall reminiscent of my own HAL Alaska cruise in 2010. I can't wait to do it again!

I just came home from my 2nd QM2 crossing and enjoyed every second of it. I think you'll enjoy Cunard too. Fancier than HAL, but IMO that what makes it fun.

I can't wait to read a review of your QE sailing!

KK

It is easier to partake of both lunch and afternoon tea if you have late seating....early seating makes it a tough go (not that it can't be done

Oh it can be done. We often manage it.

Lunch at 12.30-1pm, afternoon tea at 3.30pm, then it's another 3 hours until evening meal. Easy. :D

Indeed he didn't! However, he does appear to be proselytising the heretical belief that there can be such a thing as "too much food".

:D

J

Whitemarsh is a trim young thing. He'd like to keep it that way methinks.

And, oh yeah, he's also Australian. We do weird things us Aussies!

And speaking of food, does anyone have a copy of the QM2 Room Service Breakfast menu? So decadent!