Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

[quote name='lovely_serenity']Haha, my mom told my brother (when he was a little kid) that she was 22 for a good 10 years :D:D:D[/quote]

While we're on the subject of age, I was trying to think back this morning to when [B]I [/B]was 17. Sadly this proved to be a feat of recall that far exceeded my current neurological capacity. Given that the chances of being born at age 18 are, to say the least, on the slim side, I guess I [B]must [/B]have been 17 at some time or other but I suspect that the task of retrieving any details of that time would be a task for an archaeologist.

SPRUGGLE

J

[quote name='lovely_serenity']Well, I wouldn't know, I don't drink :) perhaps I'll recommend it to Mum and Dad :-)[/quote]

OMG dude that would be [B]so[/B] not a good thing to do. That would be like totally bad but not in a good way. Do you, like, totally want your parents to disown you?

TWIRBLE

J (who is like totally getting the hang of this now!) Edited by Cruachan

[quote name='Cruachan']While we're on the subject of age, I was trying to think back this morning to when [B]I [/B]was 17. Sadly this proved to be a feat of recall that far exceeded my current neurological capacity. Given that the chances of being born at age 18 are, to say the least, on the slim side, I guess I [B]must [/B]have been 17 at some time or other but I suspect that the task of retrieving any details of that time would be a task for an archaeologist. SPRUGGLE J[/quote]You surprise me, I can remember when I was 17; our Prime Minister was the Emperor Claudius.

SQUIGGLE Edited by pepperrn

[quote name='Cruachan']So...

... if you turn 39 do you get 93? :cool:

J[/quote]

93! That would be so kewl! I could like be the woman in the old 90's movie [I]Titanic[/I], and walk around the open deck in my nightie and no one would notice me! Except Leonardo Dicaprio, of course...he has dislexia, so he would still think I was 39 hahahhaha. As if! LOL:D:D

FAKIRRGHT

S.

[quote name='Cruachan']Yeah - and when I joined the army, bayonet frogs were still tadpoles :D

SPLOT

J[/quote]

:confused: Bayonet? I was in Bayonne New Jersery once, and I'm pretty sure we crossed the Bayonnet Bridge, we had to pay a tad toll but I didn 't see any frogs, pardon my French lol rolf hahahhahahhaha :D

TIBITRB

S

[quote name='Salacia']...and walk around the open deck in my nightie and no one would notice me! Except Leonardo Dicaprio, of course...[/quote]

They would probably think that you were Rosalind, or maybe some spectral figure associated with 8.129 :eek::eek::eek:

J

[quote name='Salacia']...I was in Bayonne New Jersery once... [/quote]I was also once in Bayonne New Jersey as well; of course I only live across the (tadpole) pond, whereas you're further away across the bay :D . Edited by pepperrn
typo

[quote name='pepperrn']I was also once in Bayonne New Jersey as well; of course I only live across the pond, whereas as you're further away [COLOR="Red"][B]across the bay[/B][/COLOR] :D .[/quote]

:D
Actually, across the Hudson River...it's a long walk to Bayonne:D:D Edited by Salacia

[quote name='Cruachan']OMG dude that would be [B]so[/B] not a good thing to do. That would be like totally bad but not in a good way. Do you, like, totally want your parents to disown you?

TWIRBLE

J (who is like totally getting the hang of this now!)[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha :D, when I read "OMG dude, that would be [B]so[/B] not a good thing to do", that's actually how we talk LOL. It's only the "totally"s that aren't.. ever said :p

And *whispers* I was just being polite :o

[quote name='lovely_serenity']Ahahaha :D, when I read "OMG dude, that would be [B]so[/B] not a good thing to do", that's actually how we talk LOL. It's only the "totally"s that aren't.. ever said :p

And *whispers* I was just being polite :o[/quote]

Politeness and Pol Acker are generally considered around these parts to be two mutually exclusive concepts. You do know, I suppose, that they use that stuff for removing marine growth from the ship's hull and for unblocking the plumbing system.

Here is a photo that I took a few years back of the aftermath of an attempt to launch a ship by breaking a bottle of Pol Acker on the bow.

Be afraid! Be [B]very [/B]afraid :eek:

J

[URL="http://s497.photobucket.com/user/JimStanMau/media/02_kovera1.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/JimStanMau/02_kovera1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Cruachan']Politeness and Pol Acker are generally considered around these parts to be two mutually exclusive concepts. You do know, I suppose, that they use that stuff for removing marine growth from the ship's hull and for unblocking the plumbing system.

Here is a photo that I took a few years back of the aftermath of an attempt to launch a ship by breaking a bottle of Pol Acker on the bow.

Be afraid! Be [B]very [/B]afraid :eek:

J

[URL="http://s497.photobucket.com/user/JimStanMau/media/02_kovera1.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/JimStanMau/02_kovera1.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

LOL Okay, okay ^^ I won't recommend it to Mum & Dad then! Haha

[quote name='lovely_serenity']LOL Okay, okay ^^ I won't recommend it to Mum & Dad then! Haha[/quote]

Good decision, unless, of course, you wish to become an orphan.

No one to moan at you, check you've done your homework, insist you tidy your room, tell you that you cannot possibly go out wearing that...

Sir Martin:cool:

[quote name='lovely_serenity']LOL Okay, okay ^^ I won't recommend it to Mum & Dad then! Haha[/quote]Just so you know what to look out for; as they disguise the true contents of the Pol Acker bottle very well, quite deceptive, looks harmless...

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/8468926327/[/URL]

DON'T be fooled :eek: Edited by pepperrn

[quote name='pepperrn']Just so you know what to look out for; as they disguise the true contents of the Pol Acker bottle very well, quite deceptive, looks harmless...

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/8468926327/[/URL]

DON'T be fooled :eek:[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek: OMG the Welcome back "champagne" is this Pol Acker?

[quote name='lovely_serenity']:eek::eek::eek: OMG the Welcome back "champagne" is this Pol Acker?[/quote]

Yes it is! And, lest you are still tempted to recommend the stuff to any friends or relatives, let this picture be a salutory warning to you. These are two of my constant traveling companions after getting thoroughly trashed on a few bottles of Pol Acker! They came within a whisker of being thrown off QM2 and banned from Cunard for life after this little escapade.

J

[URL="http://s497.photobucket.com/user/JimStanMau/media/DSC4920_bears_party.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/JimStanMau/DSC4920_bears_party.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Cruachan']Yes it is! And, lest you are still tempted to recommend the stuff to any friends or relatives, let this picture be a salutory warning to you. These are two of my constant traveling companions after getting thoroughly trashed on a few bottles of Pol Acker! They came within a whisker of being thrown off QM2 and banned from Cunard for life after this little escapade.

J

[URL="http://s497.photobucket.com/user/JimStanMau/media/DSC4920_bears_party.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/JimStanMau/DSC4920_bears_party.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Is Pol Acker bad for you?

(&& cute :D) Edited by lovely_serenity

[quote name='lovely_serenity']OMG the Welcome back "champagne" is this Pol Acker?[/quote]Yep...

The unsuspecting Cunard passenger spies the display, says "yummy", opens the bottle, fills the glasses and then... :eek: .

Whereas the experienced Cunard passenger knows to call room service. They send around a team of seven professionals in full chemical-spill/bio-hazard suits. They'll usher the cabin's passengers out of the room, and evacuate the immediate area. Then, using very long tongs, they'll safely remove the lethal object for safe disposal (usually to a cold-war-era nuclear-bomb-proof bunker several hundred feet underground where the bottle is sealed in for all eternity).

Occasionally someone will spill POL in the cabin (usually from dropping the glass as they breath their last), so recently all the carpets have been replaced. Previously there were holes that allowed you to look down through several decks where the POL had burnt and melted the steel decking as it dripped down :eek: .

:D ;) :) IDBYS Edited by pepperrn

[quote name='pepperrn']Yep...

The unsuspecting Cunard passenger spies the display, says "yummy", opens the bottle, fills the glasses and then... :eek: .

Whereas the experienced Cunard passenger knows to call room service. They send around a team of seven professionals in full chemical-spill/bio-hazard suits. They'll usher the cabin's passengers out of the room, and evacuate the immediate area. Then, using very long tongs, they'll safely remove the lethal object for safe disposal (usually to a cold-war-era nuclear-bomb-proof bunker several hundred feet underground where the bottle is sealed in for all eternity).

Occasionally someone will spill POL in the cabin (usually from dropping the glass as they breath their last), so recently all the carpets have been replaced. Previously there were holes that allowed you to look down through several decks where the POL had burnt and melted the steel decking as it dripped down :eek: .

:D ;) :) IDBYS[/QUOTE]
Haha, is there a way to ask them for something else? Like a trade-off?

[quote name='lovely_serenity']Haha, is there a way to ask them for something else? Like a trade-off?[/quote]

There have been rumours in the past that Steerage passengers have been able to acquire the odd bottle of Pol Acker Crémant de Loire Brut by offering to do extra shifts on the oars. However, that seems to be an awful lot of hard graft in return for only a marginal improvement in the fizzy stuff.

J

Whilst I agree that PA is not the finest wine and certainly must never be spilt onto anything other than titanium, I find that it is easily quaffed whilst unpacking and it does quench the thirst after the stress and strains of embarkation. If however it isn't consumed during that process, I tend to just leave it unopened. :)

The next time I'm tempted to defend the maligned (see post #119 above) I'll try to chose something less odious than Pol Acker. But, all your comments suggest that that's everything. Santé! Edited by pmb1

[quote name='pmb1']The next time I'm tempted to defend the maligned (see post #119 above) I'll try to chose something less odious than Pol Acker. But, all your comments suggest that there may be no such thing. Santé![/quote]

I'm sure dear ole Mr Acker knows we're only teasing :D

J