Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

They be known only by them's who already knows what they is.:eek::D

Aaar Jim Lad! An' every man jack 'oo ever revealed them to them as was unqualified to know them was keel 'auled an' 'ad 'is parrot handler's licence revoked!

J

Aaar Jim Lad! An' every man jack 'oo ever revealed them to them as was unqualified to know them was keel 'auled an' 'ad 'is parrot handler's licence revoked!

J

Tis why Cunard needs no Rock Climbing Walls--we have Keel Hauling.:eek::D

Where in Cyprus are you from?

I am actually British . I have live in Cyprus many years. Lots of British folks live here . So English is widely spoken. I live in Southern Cyprus where the locals are Greek Cypriot. The island is divided as it was invaded in 1974. A third of the Island is under Turkish occupation and the Capital Nicosia is the only divided city in the world. Lots of culture here, both historical, and archaeological.

Oo that's cool, that's one of the ports we're visiting! :) The Greek, southern part of Cyprus I mean. Are there any places you recommend we visit?

&& another question, how well dressed must I be to dine in the main dining room during lunchtime?

From the FAQ...

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

As to your cabins, they will be convenient if you want to do laundry (which is free on Cunard - bring your own dryer sheets).

Edited by Scrapnana

&& another question, how well dressed must I be to dine in the main dining room during lunchtime?

Not to worry, since you are 17 ;) && LOL <..>

Is there a dress code for children?

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smartly as possible in relation to the information given.

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/child_dress

And as to your cabins: It is not a good idea for minors to post on a public forum what cabins they occupy: please discuss with your parents.

BTW, how many posts/responses do you need to get that free cruise you wanted? hahahhaha;)

Edited by Salacia

From the FAQ...

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

As to your cabins, they will be convenient if you want to do laundry (which is free on Cunard - bring your own dryer sheets).

Oh, alright thanks! So I can't wear shorts.. if I want to eat in the dining room. o_o

&& okay cool, thanks!

Not to worry, since you are 17 ;) && LOL <..>

Is there a dress code for children?

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smartly as possible in relation to the information given.

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/child_dress

And as to your cabins: It is not a good idea for minors to post on a public forum what cabins they occupy: please discuss with your parents.

BTW, how many posts/responses do you need to get that free cruise you wanted? hahahhaha;)

So would shorts + heels be dress code-y enough? o_o?

&& alright, sorry .___. (&& you seem so much like my Mum LOL, concerned about everything I do, even more so than I) :D

I KNOW RIGHT? THOSE CRUISE REPRESENTATIVES BETTER SEE THESE SOONER. I'M RUNNING OUT OF VOCABULARY LOL.

Oh, alright thanks! So I can't wear shorts.. if I want to eat in the dining room. o_o

&& okay cool, thanks!

You asked "how well dressed must I be to dine in the main dining room during lunchtime?" and you were given two responses copied directly from the Cunard website. Neither quote implied that you were not permitted to wear short in the dining room at lunch time. You can't be both amazing brilliant and dull at the same time without people wondering what is that you are up to lol hahahaha. ^0-0^

Edited by Salacia

You asked "how well dressed must I be to dine in the main dining room during lunchtime?" and you were given two responses copied directly from the Cunard website. Neither quote implied that you were not permitted to wear short in the dining room at lunch time. You can't be both amazing brilliant and dull at the same time without people wondering what is that you are up to lol hahahaha. ^0-0^

Oh okay, I guess that's good. :)

Indeed, you are a wise one. (You are learning your emoticons well, my friend. Nice touch on the glasses by the way. :D :D :D)

• 1 month later...

Okay guys, so my parents just recently came back from Shanghai with our tailored gowns (I got 3 :D) and my dad just wanted me to tell all of you that HE BOUGHT (and tailored) A TUX FOR HIMSELF. (LOL) :D :D :D He shall now officially have both a dark suit AND a tux with all the cuff links, bow ties and the works. Yay!

(Now I must cease bothering him about not having a tux!)

Edited by lovely_serenity

I was actually quite confused. When I read it, I was like, o_o? Why does it sound so much like an ad? So that's why.. thanks for the heads up!

Well, I hope this is you, Sarah ;).

Okay guys, so my parents just recently came back from Shanghai with our tailored gowns (I got 3 :D) and my dad just wanted me to tell all of you that HE BOUGHT (and tailored) A TUX FOR HIMSELF. (LOL) :D :D :D He shall now officially have both a dark suit AND a tux with all the cuff links, bow ties and the works. Yay!

(Now I must cease bothering him about not having a tux!)

So happy to read that your dad will not be getting nagged anymore by his daughter over the Tux issue. :-). Three gowns for you...how great is that!

You will look beautiful, I'm sure.

Since your dad wanted you to spread the news, please tell him that once a Tux man always a Tux man. I'm sure your mom will make sure of that now. :-)

best wishes, Sarah,

seasidegal

Well, I hope this is you, Sarah ;).

So happy to read that your dad will not be getting nagged anymore by his daughter over the Tux issue. :-). Three gowns for you...how great is that!

You will look beautiful, I'm sure.

Since your dad wanted you to spread the news, please tell him that once a Tux man always a Tux man. I'm sure your mom will make sure of that now. :-)

best wishes, Sarah,

seasidegal

Haha, and I am certain that he is even more over the moon ;). I know, right? I was absolutely thrilled when they arrived home! It was apparently very difficult for the tailors since we weren't actually there to be measured :D haha. & Thank you! ^^

LOL I will definitely make sure I forward that message to him! :D

Likewise ^^~

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
That's fine, but if you don't want to feel overly full you'll take my advice and skip lunch. It's too much food otherwise.

The alternative is to alternate lunch and afternoon tea.

I find it depends on which sitting your on for dinner.

If I'm on late sitting I can enjoy breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.

Its just a question of not eating too much at any of the above, taking a few turns round the deck between meals, and accepting the fact that you will put on a few pounds while on board.:cool::D

• 5 months later...
I find it depends on which sitting your on for dinner.

If I'm on late sitting I can enjoy breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.

Its just a question of not eating too much at any of the above, taking a few turns round the deck between meals, and accepting the fact that you will put on a few pounds while on board.:cool::D

I agree. I actually found it a little hard to digest afternoon tea while I was getting ready for dinner LOL. Next time, I'm definitely going to make sure I'm in the late seating, not early. :D :D :D

We were on our first Cunard cruise last month. This was one of our worries before we went but I can tell you that most people on our cruise wore shorts in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. It was a warm weather cruise in the Med. You will not be out of place.

• 11 months later...
Hi lovely_serenity,

No, no charge for pub lunches, but the place is very popular so get there early!

Queen Elizabeth is a great cruise ship, the Royal Court Theatre is astounding, hard to believe its on a ship. I'm looking forward to sailing on her again one day. There are many photos of her interiors (including the Golden Lion Pub and the Royal Court Theatre) via the link below, to get you "in the mood" I hope, and help you anticipate your cruise even more!

Ask away if you've further questions, there are many friendly people here (only one or two bite!), and we love to help if we can.

All best wishes, Bon Voyage!

I've just come across this thread as I'm researching qm2. We've been invited by friends to try our first ever cunard cruise next July. Your photos are amazing thank you.

I've just come across this thread as I'm researching qm2. We've been invited by friends to try our first ever cunard cruise next July. Your photos are amazing thank you.

They are great aren't they ? There is a link to these and others (including menus and daily programmes) in the sticky here

Happy researching ....

Thank you cymru cruiser, very kind of you to comment and thank you for the compliment :o . I hope you'll find the photos useful.

I'm sure you'll enjoy QM2, I too am looking forward to being on board next year.

Thank you again, Bon Voyage! :)

Thank you cymru cruiser, very kind of you to comment and thank you for the compliment :o . I hope you'll find the photos useful.

I'm sure you'll enjoy QM2, I too am looking forward to being on board next year.

Thank you again, Bon Voyage! :)

Thank you. I have booked today based on your photos and the link Hattie sent me in the direction of. Fabulous information. So now countdown to qm2 July 2016!!

Thank you. I have booked today based on your photos and the link Hattie sent me in the direction of. Fabulous information. So now countdown to qm2 July 2016!!

I'm glad it was useful, have a wonderful time, I hope the wait isn't too painful !

We took this cruise a few years ago. In Ephesus, we took the ship's tour that includes the terrace houses. These have been excavated from a hill and is an amazing visit. The only warning I would give is that there are a lot of stairs. Really wonderful!