Help please with St.Thomas

rushwater7710

If you could do any excursion on St. Thomas what would you choose. There are so many we can't decide. Or does anyone have a better idea for that port. We would be grateful for any information, have not been to this port before. Thank you all fellow cruisers.

If you could do any excursion on St. Thomas what would you choose. There are so many we can't decide. Or does anyone have a better idea for that port. We would be grateful for any information, have not been to this port before. Thank you all fellow cruisers.
My favorite place was http://www.havefunwithus.com/!:cool: Also; here's the link to the St Thomas forum for lots more options!;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Hi Rushwater!

There are several options in St Thomas. Or you can bled them.

Look on line for a Tour operator. They are the primary way to tour the Island, and you dont (IMHO) want to drive on St Thomas or mess with a scooter. I use Godfrey, he is great and his trucks (you'll see what I mean) are nice. Some others are more rowdy which is also fine if you like the party tour. The Tour operators will take you into town for some shopping, then on to a beach for a while. This is a good value for what they charge.

You could also take a Ferry form St Thomas to St John, which is an amazing Park Island. However, I would think that if this is your first trip to St Thomas you would want to visit there.

There are also a multitude of ship options, but in my opinion you can go it alone and get what you want, and save some money.

For my wife, shopping for jewelry is the focus on St Thomas. We go to Imperial Jewelers, avoid the places sponsored by the Cruise Lines (yes there is a connection, and there is a warranty with the cruise line, but there is also a reason for the relationship. We know jewelry and we get great deals further down the road, with no problems what so ever).

We love St Thomas. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings. Have Fun!

We didn't do an excursion. We took our snorkel gear and were one of the first off the ship. We then had a taxi take us directly to Coki beach. The snorkeling was great and it is a very secluded place. We stayed 4 hours and then had a cab take us back to the ship. We dropped off the snorkel gear and then spent the rest of the time downtown.

If you like underwater adventures...try the helmet dive. We did one in Aruba and loved it so we are planning on doing it again in St Thomas this time. Our last visit to St Thomas my husband and I toured Blackbeard's Castle which was interesting. Be careful of tow truck operator's though. At the hill right in front of the post office a tow truck operator did not have his tow vehicle secure and it came at me. I couldnt shop in St Thomas because I spent the next 4 hours in the St Thomas hospital! (I did go home with a unique souvenir bracelet though) *have to laugh about it now cuz i am ok* So we are going back to SHOP this time. The other adventure we did there was taking the SKY RIDE up to the top! You can see the entire island from up there! There was a LIVE Parrot photo op at the top also. Enjoy!

We took a cab down to the town area from the port and they had operators lined up. We paid $25 pp for a awesome tour. The driver took is all over the island giving us a very detailed history of the island, we stopped at an old plantation type home, and the beach. After the tour he dropped us off at the pier. After talking to other people who booked cruise line operated tours and spent a significantly amount more did not have as nice or as long of a tour we did.

Our favorites have been taking the ferry over to St. John which is breathtakingly beautiful, and most recently, doing a self-guided walking tour found Online. We got to see some wonderful places, meet fascinating locals and came back with a new-found appreciation for the people and history of St. Thomas.

Godfrey was our BEST experience, after deciding not to go to Trunk Bay.

We just grabbed a cab and our driver "Winnie" took us over to Coki Beach for the day. DH went scuba diving while the rest of us went snorkeling. There is a lifeguard and some other employees willing to help us as my DS uses a wheelchair. There are also some food vendors and a gift shop along with stand up paddle board rental. We had just planned on taking a cab back to the port (there were always some waiting) but Winnie called the beach and asked if we wanted her to pick us up and we agreed on a time. She was there waiting at our agreed to time.

The first time, we took the shore excursion of driving the mini boats to honeymoon island and spending time on the beach. After the excursion we went to the Sky ride and had a bushwacker at the bar.

The second time we had a few hours before our excursion began, we went to Senor Frogs, had lunch and swam in their pool. Our excursion was the champagne catamaran to St. John's, which we enjoyed.

Both were great days

We enjoy taking a taxi to Magen's Bay which is beautiful! It's $9pp (I think) to get there. When finished we take a taxi either back to the ship or head into downtown to shop. So at half the cost of what Carnival offers and with less restrictions on your time, it's come to be our favorite beach day in the Caribbean.

I lived on St. Thomas & will say it really depends on wht you are looking to do.

I you want to snorkel, take a taxi or Safari bus to Coki or Sapphire beach. You could also take the Red Hook ferry to St John & go to Trunk Bay.

Avoid Magens, too crowded & all the development has spoiled the view IMHO. Cheapest alternative. Coki is also close to Coral World, if you want the fish without the work.

Taxi tours or a tour like Godfrey's maybe $25-40 per person. Other excursions are also offered by various companies

You could also take the tram, visit Mt Top for a Bannana Daquiri, or shop in Charlotte Amalie & go to the ice bar. Also cheap, depending on your shopping style:)

The excusions run by the ship are the most expensive alternative. If you want to golf, helmet dive or take the champage catamaran to St John, it's the best way to go.

U echo skinny's comment about driving.

St. John is my favorite place in the world. I'd take the ferry there and then a cab to Trunk or Cinnamon beach. The island is beautiful and has a very laid-back, quiet vibe when compared to St. Thomas.

We did the ultimate island experience and we had a blast!:D

St Thomas was one of our favourite islands!

We ended up taking an Island tour due to rain. It was a nice tour of the Island highlights.

For a beach day, here is a CC thread that I came across. Scroll down to post # 17 & 18. It states that you can take a taxi to the Best Western on Emerald Beach. There is more info and pictures in the thread.

It looks really beautiful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656332

BTW: There was a Tiki Boat docked next to our ship. I believe it is a Carnival excursion that takes you on a water view tour of the island. Everyone looked like they were having a great time. I believe they serve Rum Punch and Soda pop. Not sure if it's a booze-cruise or not but it did look like fun. :)

We grabbed a cab and headed for Sapphire Beach. It is post card picture perfect with a beautiful beach, iguanas walking around and in the trees, and awesome snorkeling right from the beach. It didn't get any better than that. It wasn't crowded when we went either (like they say Maggens gets because that's where all of the cruise passeengers usually go). I have a link in my signature line with my review and a link at the end of it with tons of pictures. :)

Take a taxi to Red hook ($10 pp from havenseight). Buy tickets to Cruz Bay in St. John ($12 pp). If it's adults, take a taxi ($8pp each way) to Cinnamon Bay. There's no fee to get on the beach ( trunk has one) and there's a small store, bathrooms and I think a restaurant there. Very peaceful and not as full as Trunk. And on your way back to cruz bay- hit up high tide bar and grill and have a mocha rumbie :)

We almost never do ship excursions but we decided to do the champagne catamaran through the ship to St. John and it was one of our best ones ever.Its alittle expensive but for us we would do it again in a heartbeat.

The put you in a van and take you to the dock and you sail to the island and have beach/swim time,then you sail back and have unlimited rum punch or champagne and cheese ,crackers and bread on the way back as a snack. Very nice time for us

Archived