Condition of the Pride

1straveler

Trying to decide on a December cruise on the Pride or Sojourn. The iteniary of the Pride cruise is more appealing to us but some of the reviews I am reading indicate the condition of the Pride is not being maintained. I know it was refurbished in 2010 but having been on both the Legend & Spirit immediately after they were refurbished, I realize that the work performed can be somewhat limited.

I would appreciate the views of anyone who has recently cruised on the Pride.

Trying to decide on a December cruise on the Pride or Sojourn. The iteniary of the Pride cruise is more appealing to us but some of the reviews I am reading indicate the condition of the Pride is not being maintained. I know it was refurbished in 2010 but having been on both the Legend & Spirit immediately after they were refurbished, I realize that the work performed can be somewhat limited.

I would appreciate the views of anyone who has recently cruised on the Pride.

I'll be sailing on her starting Sept 1 if you can wait that long for reports.

If you are using the online for a gauge of the number of rooms available, be very careful.

Our recent cruise showed as many as 50 suites available just a week before, this was a Sojourn Baltic. It was full. The GTY bookings don't blovk out online direct room selection.

Our antarctica cruise shows with about 20 suites, yet when I booked onboard in July there were 9.

If of course the TA or SB has said that there are that many that could well be the case.

I was on the Pride last July/August and will be on the forthcoming September/October. Despite the nits I found to pick, that July/August cruise was one of the best I've been on. As these Seabourn employees are essentially fighting to keep their jobs I'm expecting service to be amazing.

baychilla, you make a good point and I appreciate the information.

MrsWaldo, I had not taken into consideration the "guarantees". That will certainly inflate the appearance of vacancies. We will book tomorrow so there shouldn't be a problem. Than you both for your feedback.

We too struggled with the convenience of Sojourn’s Lauderdale/Lauderdale December itineraries versus a swan song on Pride Lauderdale to Aruba with the inconvenience and expense flying back from Aruba to the U.S.A. (a once great nation).

Pride includes a comp shore excursion and Sojourn does not. Yeah, caviar in the surf after the first time is a bit over the top, but the spread and effort SB puts on their shore excursion is matched by nobody and this is it. SB to my knowledge won’t do the shore party on Odyssey class ships in the Caribbean.

So this will be our swan song on the little sista’s after so many wonderful memories and history these ships afforded us.

We’ll happily slum it (snort) on the Pride and ‘probly put up with carpets and upholstery being a bit overdue for replacement just so, we may for the last time enjoy these most magical of ships.

There will be, lord willing, many more opportunities to sail Sojourn, Odyssey and Quest…but never again to sail Pride as run by SB.

“We would like to live as we once lived, but history will not permit it.” - JFK

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

If you are looking for perfection, the Pride cannot offer that as she is showing her age but she does not require plastic surgery. Yes, there is a bit of rust in some areas and the cabins are not designed in the same fashion as the newer ships. However, if there was an itinerary that I liked more than another, I would not hesitate to sail on her again.

However, after reading these posts, I would check and see when she is going in for drydock. I would not book the immediate cruise after the drydock unless it was only cosmetics being done. There are too many problems that can arise and I would prefer them to be settled before I sail.

We too struggled with the convenience of Sojourn’s Lauderdale/Lauderdale December itineraries versus a swan song on Pride Lauderdale to Aruba with the inconvenience and expense flying back from Aruba to the U.S.A. (a once great nation).

Pride includes a comp shore excursion and Sojourn does not. Yeah, caviar in the surf after the first time is a bit over the top, but the spread and effort SB puts on their shore excursion is matched by nobody and this is it. SB to my knowledge won’t do the shore party on Odyssey class ships in the Caribbean.

__

Last year on the Ft Laud/Ft Laud Quest, they did caviar in the surf... I am optimistic it will happen again this year pn Sojourn.

We also had caviar in the surf on the Quest. Not sure you don't think the big ship do it.

I've looked at Sojourn, Spirit and Pride itineraries in the Caribbean for this November, December and January '13.

Pride and Spirit have Prickly Pear Island, BVI shore party on their itineraries where Caviar in the Surf is served. The Sojoun itineraries do not visit Prickly Pear Island nor do they list a private shore party.

Perhaps I'm wrong... or, perhaps, Pride and Spirit this winter, are the only SB ships in the Caribbean doing the shore party?

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Prickly Pear Island is not the only place in the Caribbean where they do caviar in the surf.

Yes, this is true.

But when there is a shore party regardless of islands, it's listed as a feature in the itinerary before the cruise.

I see no full ship shore parties listed for any of the Sojourn Caribbean itineraries. One would think such a feature would be noted if in fact they were going to have them.

I'd like to be wrong and have someone show me where on SB's website, the Sojourn has them planned in the same way they are listed on Pride and Spirit itineraries this winter.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Seabourn's 2013-2014 catalog show the Sojourn Oct 28, Nov7,17,27,and Dec 7 cruises with caviar in the surf at Isla Catalina, Dominica.So unless something has changed since, weather permitting, there will be caviar in the surf.

Nonetheless, I would strongly lean toward the Pride over the Sojourn.

Seabourn's 2013-2014 catalog show the Sojourn Oct 28, Nov7,17,27,and Dec 7 cruises with caviar in the surf at Isla Catalina, Dominica.So unless something has changed since, weather permitting, there will be caviar in the surf.

Nonetheless, I would strongly lean toward the Pride over the Sojourn.

Interesting.

That differs from SB's on-line listing for those Sojourn itineraries. There is no mention on SB's website for Sojourn's Caribbean itineraries of the shore party.

From the SB Website for Sojourn:

Isla Catalina, Dominica: Known locally as Isla Catalina, is an island wildlife reserve located off the south-east corner of the Dominican Republic, near La Romana. A relaxing patch of inhabited paradise, it offers long beaches of powdery white sand, fringed by palm trees. Its diverse eco-systems include sand dunes, mangrove forests and coral reefs. The surrounding seas are rich with many species of birds and fish.

From the SB Website for Pride & Spirit:

Prickly Pear Island, BVI: Weather permitting the ship makes a brief stop off Spanish Town to disembark those guests going on tour. It then repositions to anchor off Prickly Pear where the crew gets set up to treat you to a complimentary Prickly Pear beach party. A tender picks up all guests on tour at Leverick Bay to return them directly to Prickly Pear in time for this event.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

It is a lovely place for a beach BBQ and caviar in the surf -- almsot as picturesque as Prickly Pear Island -- I was having so much fun ( and champagne) that I agreed to have my hair braided -- no fun trying to get them out two days later!:D

I will talk with the TA tomorrow to get more information. The "caviar in the surf" although I really enjoy it, is not a make or break for me. We have looked at all the factors and my wife suggested we put the two cruise destinations in a sack a draw one which will put and end to our decision making process.

Google "Seabourn Sojourn Caviar in the Surf" for excerpts from their blog, videos and so on. The Sojourn started doing Caviar in the Surf in December, 2010 at Isla Catalina, and we have found no record of it being discontinued. As mentioned earlier, it is listed in the current Seabourn brochure for Sojourn sailings in October, November and December of this year. We have been to the event twice and it was done quite nicely and is something fun to see and do. Going on an excursion is OK of course, but this is a one-of-a-kind thing.

Archived