Cozumel excursion: Ruins

dogchopper

My husband and I are going on the freedom of the seas on sept. 29th. YAY:D

We were looking into excursions in Cozumel and he said he kind of wants to do Mayan Ruins tour.

Questions.. In early Oct. is that tour going to be totally miserable due to the heat??

The excursions seem to be about 8 hrs long, does this mean you miss dinner in the MDR??

And what is the best place to book these? Via royal carribeian or an outside source??

As you can tell I know nothing at all about this type of excursion so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If you're looking at the one that does the ruins on the island and finishes up with a beach break, we did it once, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If you're looking at the one on the mainland - it's definitely worth doing. Just pack your Dramamine for the ferry ride over and back:)

Just remember you will be doing a lot of travelling that will take a lot of time. Bus ride, ferry and some time at the ruins. We decided to leave it for a land vacation to Mexico. And yes if you have early seating you will not make it to eat in the MDR.

Safe travels.

If you're looking at the one that does the ruins on the island and finishes up with a beach break, we did it once, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If you're looking at the one on the mainland - it's definitely worth doing. Just pack your Dramamine for the ferry ride over and back

Thanks for the tip. What didn't you like about it ? I notice its much shorter than the other ones.

Just remember you will be doing a lot of travelling that will take a lot of time. Bus ride, ferry and some time at the ruins. We decided to leave it for a land vacation to Mexico. And yes if you have early seating you will not make it to eat in the MDR.

Safe travels.

That's what I needed to know. Im kind of worried about the length of that tour... That's a long day.

Thanks for the tip. What didn't you like about it ? I notice its much shorter than the other ones.

There's not much there to see, except for a few small huts and the remains of a few alter type things - and a few new buildings made to look like what the old buildings might have looked like. Cozumel wasn't a major Mayan religious site - more like an outpost, and all of the main temples worth seeing are at Toloum (sp?) on the mainland - We spent the entire day exploring those. We ran out of things to see at the Cozumel ruins in about 20 minutes. This was the largest structure at the ruins - note the woman on the left to get a sense of scale.

Ruins.pdf

If you are talking about the Tulum Mayan Ruins, it was a long day but well worth the effort. Yes, it is a long day, but well worth the effort.

Since it is such a long day, I suggest that you book your excursion through the cruise line.

As far as dinner goes, if you miss your dinner at the MDR, you can get a bite to eat at the Windjammer or Promenade Café.

We have seen several Mayan ruins sites. In my opinion, the ones at Tulum really rock!

If you are interested, you might like to see the pictures my wife took

Tulum http://nancysoasis.com/2012tulum/tulum.html

I have booked Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - CZK8 for my Oasis sailing. I will try to report back here mid-September.

While I am not looking forward to the travel time, I think I have understood that the ferry departs from where the cruise ships dock and do not require the taxi ride back at the end as I saw with some shorter tours.

Chichen Itza is listed on the 'new 7 wonders of the world' and think that is the only one worth this much travel time. It would require equal travel time from a land based stop in Cancun and I really never plan to visit there. My expectations are very realistic about these sort of tours and with that attitude, I am usually very satisfied.

The most negative factor is that this tour will hit Chichen Itza at peak visit hours and mid-day sun. While not perfect, neither was my visit to Ephesus in Turkey on Navigator in May, but I am glad I did that once. While pricey, ship tours tend to be among the best tours offered as these providers are so dependent on satisfied guests.

If you are talking about the Tulum Mayan Ruins, it was a long day but well worth the effort. Yes, it is a long day, but well worth the effort.

Since it is such a long day, I suggest that you book your excursion through the cruise line.

As far as dinner goes, if you miss your dinner at the MDR, you can get a bite to eat at the Windjammer or Promenade Café.

We have seen several Mayan ruins sites. In my opinion, the ones at Tulum really rock!

If you are interested, you might like to see the pictures my wife took

Tulum http://nancysoasis.com/2012tulum/tulum.html

I loved the pictures!! Thanks!!

I'm a bit confused by the RC excursion site. On the one with the beach day (and I'm talking about the Tulum one) you get lunch (yay) the one with out the beach day you get a light snack.

But what confuses me is one of them says you need 7 bucks for a taxi ride back to the port? The other doesn't say that? Do they pick you up at the ship and not drop you back off in the same place?

I have booked Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - CZK8 for my Oasis sailing. I will try to report back here mid-September.

While I am not looking forward to the travel time, I think I have understood that the ferry departs from where the cruise ships dock and do not require the taxi ride back at the end as I saw with some shorter tours.

Chichen Itza is listed on the 'new 7 wonders of the world' and think that is the only one worth this much travel time. It would require equal travel time from a land based stop in Cancun and I really never plan to visit there. My expectations are very realistic about these sort of tours and with that attitude, I am usually very satisfied.

The most negative factor is that this tour will hit Chichen Itza at peak visit hours and mid-day sun. While not perfect, neither was my visit to Ephesus in Turkey on Navigator in May, but I am glad I did that once. While pricey, ship tours tend to be among the best tours offered as these providers are so dependent on satisfied guests.

I don't see that ruin listed in my excursions, just the Cobra and Tulum?

But being that its one of the 7 wonders I would assume it will be a great tour!!

I loved the pictures!! Thanks!!

I'm a bit confused by the RC excursion site. On the one with the beach day (and I'm talking about the Tulum one) you get lunch (yay) the one with out the beach day you get a light snack.

But what confuses me is one of them says you need 7 bucks for a taxi ride back to the port? The other doesn't say that? Do they pick you up at the ship and not drop you back off in the same place?

If I remember correctly, on the one with the beach break, the ferry leaves and returns from the same pier area as the ship. On the one without the beach break, the ferry leaves from the pier, but on its return, it goes downtown and does a commuter run back to the mainland before picking up the beach break tour.

Safe travels.

Or you could book the independent one that flies you over to Chichen Itza and back - no ferry, no bus, and back in plenty of time for early seating dinner.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

But being that its one of the 7 wonders I would assume it will be a great tour!!

There's also the San Giacomo (or something like that) ruins. That's the one we didn't care for.

A lot of cruises dropped the chitzin itza (sp?) tour (my kids still call it chicken pizza) :) because it is a few hours bus ride once you hit the mainland, and most ships aren't in port long enough to make it work.

We were looking into excursions in Cozumel and he said he kind of wants to do Mayan Ruins tour.

Questions.. In early Oct. is that tour going to be totally miserable due to the heat??

It'll be warm. The central part of Yucatan never very far from highs about 85-95F. And humid. But unless you're really sensitive to heat, it's doable, presuming you keep hydrated and don't rush things much.

The excursions seem to be about 8 hrs long, does this mean you miss dinner in the MDR??

You'll probably leave almost immediately upon arrival (helps beat the heat some too), so probably won't miss dinner. Or much of it anyway.

And what is the best place to book these? Via royal carribeian or an outside source??

As you can tell I know nothing at all about this type of excursion so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Book through the line. It's a *long* day, and it's long because you're basically 2-hours of small highway driving from the ferry. A breakdown or flat tire resulting in eve something as quick as "just send another bus to get you" can put several hours onto the trip, and booking through the line means the ship isn't going to sail off without you, and larger resources to help if something doesn't go well. The vast majority of the time, nothing goes wrong, but it's an expensive and inconvenient result if it does.

We took the Tulum Ruins with Lunch and Beach break. You board the ferry right where the ship is docked. It takes you to the mainland and you ride a bus to the ruins. There is a tram to ruins site if you do not wish to walk. Tulum overlooks the ocean and is quite beautiful. Your guide will walk you through the ruins and give you information about the Mayans and their way of life. Then you will have time to walk around on your own.

After the ruins we were taken by our bus to a beach club and had a lunch of tacos and beans and rice. Soft drinks were included but you could purchase beer and other drinks. You have time to swim in the ocean or just sit back and relax. The bus takes you back to the ferry and the ferry takes you back to the dock.

We had no time for shopping. We enjoyed it and would do it again if in Cozumel. It is a long trip the ruins themselves but if you like history it is definitely worth it for us.

I am a little surprised I could book it now as well as when I look at the tour it is listed as 0830 to 1930 and when I look at my cruise calendar it shows:

s.gif08:00 AM Arrive Ports.gificonBGbarLeft.gif

08:30 AM - 07:30 PM Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins

s.gif07:00 PM Depart Port

Not sure how that is possible.

Would love to do the flight tour but it is just a five passenger and the cost is as much as I paid for my Oasis sailing.

Thanks.

You did not say which Maya ruins you were interested in. We went to Cozumel on the Freedom and took in the Coba Ruins tour. That is the only one that has a Maya pyramid that you can climb up if you so choose. I did it and enjoyed it, but it was a long and steep climb. It was a long day and as we were coming across the channel in the ferry, we watched all the other cruise ships in port pulling out. We got back to the ship about a half hour after it was scheduled to leave. As soon as we got onboard, they closed the door, pulled the lines and pulled away from the dock. We were tired after we got back and did not feel like going to the dining room, so we just went to the WindJammer to eat there. Much more relaxing there.

BTW, the channel that you cross to get to the mainland can get quite rough. When the crew suggests taking sea sick pills before you get on the ferry, BELIEVE THEM. About half of the people on the ferry lost their breakfast on the way to the mainland.

Went to Tulum off Freedom Feb. 2011 with DS, DH, a very pregnant DDIL, and 1 grandson (age 7). Ferry ride to mainland was rocky but doable. The ruins were fabulous. We had been before on a Royal Carribean Cruise with our son when he was younger and not as many sites were accessible as then. Would we do it again, for sure. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. We choose to use the Royal Caribbean tour due to distance and time inspite of the higher costs. We got back in plenty of time for first seating MDR. It did not include the beach break. Lunch was part of the tour. Nothing to write home about, but the 7 year old ate it and that made it good for us. Take bottled water. I would recommend it.

If I remember correctly, on the one with the beach break, the ferry leaves and returns from the same pier area as the ship. On the one without the beach break, the ferry leaves from the pier, but on its return, it goes downtown and does a commuter run back to the mainland before picking up the beach break tour.

I think that if we do decide on a tour, it will be the beach break tour. It seems to be pretty close in price and you get the break and brought back to the pier.

Or you could book the independent one that flies you over to Chichen Itza and back - no ferry, no bus, and back in plenty of time for early seating dinner.

I wish I could afford to do that one!! I can only imagine how much fun that would be!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You did not say which Maya ruins you were interested in. We went to Cozumel on the Freedom and took in the Coba Ruins tour. That is the only one that has a Maya pyramid that you can climb up if you so choose. I did it and enjoyed it, but it was a long and steep climb. It was a long day and as we were coming across the channel in the ferry, we watched all the other cruise ships in port pulling out. We got back to the ship about a half hour after it was scheduled to leave. As soon as we got onboard, they closed the door, pulled the lines and pulled away from the dock. We were tired after we got back and did not feel like going to the dining room, so we just went to the WindJammer to eat there. Much more relaxing there.

BTW, the channel that you cross to get to the mainland can get quite rough. When the crew suggests taking sea sick pills before you get on the ferry, BELIEVE THEM. About half of the people on the ferry lost their breakfast on the way to the mainland.

I didn't know what ruins would be best. I have heard good things about the Tulum Ruins though.. Leaning towards that one!! I have never gotten sea sick.. but I guess there's a first time for everything!!

Went to Tulum off Freedom Feb. 2011 with DS, DH, a very pregnant DDIL, and 1 grandson (age 7). Ferry ride to mainland was rocky but doable. The ruins were fabulous. We had been before on a Royal Carribean Cruise with our son when he was younger and not as many sites were accessible as then. Would we do it again, for sure. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. We choose to use the Royal Caribbean tour due to distance and time inspite of the higher costs. We got back in plenty of time for first seating MDR. It did not include the beach break. Lunch was part of the tour. Nothing to write home about, but the 7 year old ate it and that made it good for us. Take bottled water. I would recommend it.

Well, I guess if I don't do the beach tour then we could get back in time for dinner.. I thought only the beach tour gave you lunch. Did you have to take a taxi back to the pier?

Chichen Itza is the one we did. Figured if we were going to do a Mayan Ruins, it might as well be a very good and famous one.

We booked ours through the ship because of all of the travel time involved. Yes, we were rather late getting back and the ship was waiting.

Glad we did it once. No desire to do it again. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

we have done the San Gervasio ruins with beach break twice....my two teens did it in January. We all liked it, take bottled water, hats and walking shoes. Plenty of time for shopping at the end :) Google it or check the ports threads.

Dawn

Chichen Itza is the one we did. Figured if we were going to do a Mayan Ruins, it might as well be a very good and famous one.

We booked ours through the ship because of all of the travel time involved. Yes, we were rather late getting back and the ship was waiting.

Glad we did it once. No desire to do it again. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I wish we had that one listed.. I guess we will have to pick a less 'wonder'ful one :)

we have done the San Gervasio ruins with beach break twice....my two teens did it in January. We all liked it, take bottled water, hats and walking shoes. Plenty of time for shopping at the end :) Google it or check the ports threads.

Dawn

Decisions decisions!!!! Either way I'm sure we will have a great time !

Archived