Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

And for $5 you could have NY Cheesecake Coffee and Rugulah for dessert and Schoozing. A Schmooze Hour would be where you can ask questions from different departments and you would get 10 percedent off your check if your a C&A Member. There could be some Sabra to drink, Malt Beer, Cream Soda's etc.

There could be a Sandwich Eating Contest, Cheesecake Eating Contest and who can eat the most Pickles in a certain amount of time.

A Deli night where you go behind the scenes to see how your meal is prepared along with an entertainer.

The deli could be open 24 hours just like in New York where later in the night the cover charge is not charged for Dessert for C&A Members.

There could be Klezmer music playing in the background, old sport footage being shown on TV's, Seinfield reruns etc.

I would love it to get my Pastrami fix and especially if they can make a good corn rye as good as they do their other breads/rolls.

I agree and if they have good Bagels, Cream Cheese, Lox and of course Matzo Brei(Matzo with Eggs and Cheese), Salmon with Cream Cheese Omelettes , Corned Beef Hash.

The Windjammer would go out of business. No wait this should replace the Widjammer and have it the included option. A deli is good for breakfast,lunch,dinner desserts its so versatile.

Question here is would you miss the Windjammer? I wouldn't Buffets are a bit passe. They closed a lot of Hometown Buffets in my area. Canned food vs. fresh Deli food. On Formal nights if you don't want to dress up for the MDR you come here.

I've read some poor reviews on the Windjammer . Instead have a large area with large booths where you are served in a sit-down style. This could prevent kids from putting their hands in the food etc.

There could be a no-cover charge fresh Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt and Ciao Bella Gelato at a stand in the Deli with a sitting area similar to a Promenade Cafe thats open 24 hours as well with coffee stations in there. Ben and Jerries would still operate .

I would arrive to port early knowing there was a deli open on embarkation day. I would run to be the first in line to enjoy some good nosh on embarkation day.

Snacks could be presented throughout the day. Instead of the Afternoon Snacks the Windjammer had there could be Spinach Dip and Cheese, Soft Pretzels with Mustard. Freshly baked Scones with Clotted Creme, Tea selections etc.

Also having an old fashioned Soda Fountain could be built on the other side for Afternoon Snacks and late night treats either way this would be cool

Great idea,

but Jewish delis are near extinct. Why would they invest in a venue that has lost market share on shore.

I remember growing up in Brooklyn and having a selection of delis in the 5 boroughs. It's not like that anymore. I moved up to Rockland County 20 years ago and there were about 4 or 5 Jewish delis. Now there is only one.

Not a good investment on there part as well as a huge cost.

Carnival has a deli setup. The cream cheese, lox and Bermuda onion is great, but the bagels are horrible.

Not a big fan of the Asian setup either.

I personally would love a good deli, but agree that it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. Love me a good pastrami or corned beef and swiss on rye with spice mustard, and very hard to find that where I live!

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

The odds of a Jewish Deli on Royal Caribbean being any good are low. It is difficult enough to even find decent ones in the northeast outside of New York City.

The odds of a Jewish Deli on Royal Caribbean being any good are low. It is difficult enough to even find decent ones in the northeast outside of New York City.

We have great Kosher-style delis in Baltimore. Come on down! I buy the best corned beef right here in the 'burbs:)

I've tried the RCCL version of chicken soup once... I make better.

Sailed on AOS with an Orthodox couple.... the choice of items from their menu made me drool.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

This menu must a very old menu as RCCL does not have the capabilities to make " freshly prepared in our galley " Kosher meals on board any of their ships as stated on the menu posted. RCCL does not have kosher kitchens.

All kosher meals for RCCL and most all cruise lines are now prepared off shore and delivered to the cruise ship frozen. All RCCL does is reheat and serve . Passengers have to place their requests for Kosher meals 90 days in advance of their sailing in order to be accommodated.

This menu must a very old menu as RCCL does not have the capabilities to make " freshly prepared in our galley " Kosher meals on board any of their ships as stated on the menu posted. RCCL does not have kosher kitchens.

All kosher meals for RCCL and most all cruise lines are now prepared off shore and delivered to the cruise ship frozen. All RCCL does is reheat and serve . Passengers have to place their requests for Kosher meals 90 days in advance of their sailing in order to be accommodated.

Not so old.... last year in fact.... there is an asterisk under those last items with a disclaimer.... the food they were served came properly sealed with the appropriate cutlery.

We have great Kosher-style delis in Baltimore. Come on down! I buy the best corned beef right here in the 'burbs:)

I live in Maryland and have been to Baltimore delis. Some are very good. Not as good as Katz but good enough. Also been to a deli in New Jersey that was pretty good. I said it was difficult to find one outside of New York City but I did not mean impossible. I doubt that they could do it well on a cruise ship. At those very good delis in New York and Baltimore they know how to make the Corned Beef and Pastrami. I am not talking about making the sandwich. I mean curing the beef. I can't see that happening on a ship.

Will we be able to wear jeans?

That disclaimer is only for the items marked with an asterisk. The first two items are cold items which are totally fine (assuming the smoked salmon has proper kosher certification), and the second two specify that they are double-wrapped in aluminum foil. Double-wrapping an item in aluminum foil means that you can cook it in a non-kosher oven and the item will still be kosher.

And while the items sound good, trust me -- they are fairly on par with airplane food :rolleyes: They are pre-packaged meals that come in little plastic tins, somewhat akin to microwave dinners. Not quite as yucky as non-kosher microwave dinners, but definitely nothing compared to the normal fare RCI serves!

The Jewish deli idea is an interesting one, but if they do it, I highly suggest they avoid the word 'kosher' entirely, as a kosher-style deli won't be kosher at all for anyone who truly keeps kosher.

Archived