Villa d'Este and gardens

fuzzywuzzy

Hello everyone. Does anyone have any advice for a trip or tour to Villa d'Este? One tour company was suggested but would like to compare prices. They were quoting 90 euros for two sites - Hadrian's palace and the Villa d'Este per person from Rome. Is this reasonable or comparable to other tours?

We will be in Rome from the 27th to 31st of Oct. Well, leaving Rome on the 31st so that day doesn't work to do anything but get to the cruiseport.

The website for Villa d'Este is not very user friendly. I can't even determine if the gardens are open at that time. Does anyone know? Thanks.

It's not the most user-friendly web site, I agree.

The gardens are open from 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM in October. You'll be there just after the special show (the art of hunting in the early modern period) so the ticket prices will go back to normal, which is 8 Euro per person.

They are closed on Mondays, so don't plan on visiting on the 28th.

Web site, for others who want to fight their way through it: http://www.villadestetivoli.info/servizi.htm

It's not the most user-friendly web site, I agree.

The gardens are open from 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM in October. You'll be there just after the special show (the art of hunting in the early modern period) so the ticket prices will go back to normal, which is 8 Euro per person.

They are closed on Mondays, so don't plan on visiting on the 28th.

Web site, for others who want to fight their way through it: http://www.villadestetivoli.info/servizi.htm

Thank you. This is very helpful. What is the best way to get there? Private tour or bus or train?

If you are starting from downtown Rome, I think the easiest route is to take the train. It takes about an hour and costs Euro 2,60 each way. From the train station in Tivoli to the entrance of the gardens is a three-quarters of a mile walk. You can also take a bus or a taxi if you'd rather not walk.

If you're not comfortable with public transit there are several different tour operators who depart from the area near Termini station.

Well, in my world we would not say that 90 Euros is reasonable, but acknowledge that many folks often pay the big bucks for guided excursions. A much cheaper way is to take the train from the Tiburtina station (about 5 Euros round trip). However, Hadrians Villa is actually located outside of Tivoli and you would need to use the local bus or a taxi to get to that site (worth the trouble). Another way (perhaps more convenient) is to take the Metro to the Ponte Mammolo station from where you can grab a bus. The buses serve both the town of Tivoli (where they have the gardens) and also have a stop at Hadrian's Villa. And of course the other way is to simply rent a car and drive. We do not recommend this if you are staying in Rome, but its a great option for those on a Port day from Civitavecchia. Driving from the port is relatively easy and you totally bypass Rome by using the ring road.

Hank

Thank you for the advice. I think we are leaning to taking the train although the train station looks intimidating as we walked through it last year.:eek:

Can we buy Villa d'Este gardens tickets in advance online?

Thank you.

Thank you for the advice. I think we are leaning to taking the train although the train station looks intimidating as we walked through it last year.:eek:

Can we buy Villa d'Este gardens tickets in advance online?

Thank you.

Just keep in mind that the train to Tivoli departs from the Tiburtina Station,...not the sprawling main Termini Station.

Hank

Hello everyone. Does anyone have any advice for a trip or tour to Villa d'Este? One tour company was suggested but would like to compare prices. They were quoting 90 euros for two sites - Hadrian's palace and the Villa d'Este per person from Rome. Is this reasonable or comparable to other tours?

We will be in Rome from the 27th to 31st of Oct. Well, leaving Rome on the 31st so that day doesn't work to do anything but get to the cruiseport.

The website for Villa d'Este is not very user friendly. I can't even determine if the gardens are open at that time. Does anyone know? Thanks.

We went out to Tivoli by bus. I found it very convenient as the bus has stops for both Hadrian's Villa & the Villa d'Este. As Hank mentioned, you take the metro (line B, direction REBIBBIA) to Ponte Mammolo.

The bus we took to Tivoli was the Cotral bus (they are blue & you cannot miss them parked right outside the station) and the trip to Tivoli took about 50 minutes (buses run at approx. 10 minute intervals). You can purchase your bus tickets at the Mammolo Station. Can't remember the cost of the bus tickets but it was very cheap ... about 6 or 7 euros roundtrip.

The bus makes more sense than the train if you're going to Hadrian's Villa, but if you're only going to Villa d'Este the train is faster and, in my opinion, easier.

There's really no reason to buy tickets in advance, it's not like they sell out nor are there long lines to purchase tickets on site.

Just keep in mind that the train to Tivoli departs from the Tiburtina Station,...not the sprawling main Termini Station.

Hank

The directions I was given just says to get on the Metro line B which stops at the Termini. The termini station is closer to where we are staying than the Tiburtina. We are in the Piazza Navonna area. Is this not correct? Thanks.

The directions I was given just says to get on the Metro line B which stops at the Termini. The termini station is closer to where we are staying than the Tiburtina. We are in the Piazza Navonna area. Is this not correct? Thanks.

Yes and no. First you have to get to Termini in order to get on the Metro line B.

From Piazza Navona the easiest way is to get a bus on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II that goes to Termini; there will be several.

At Termini get on the Metro, Line B, direction Rebibbia, for four stops to Tiburtina.

While there is a way to go by train from Termini it makes no sense at all. You'd have to take an expensive Frecce train (for 13 Euro) plus the Euro 2,60 regional train from Tiburtina to Tivoli. That's why we're telling you to take the metro to Tivoli, for Euro 1,50.

Euro and I can have fun confusing you with options :). If you are going to get on to the Metro "B" line, you might be better off just staying on that metro until you get to the

Ponte Mammolo station (which is above ground). From this station you can get the bus to Tivoli which really does not take much longer then the train. The big advantage to this bus line (we talked about this earlier) is that it will stop at Hadrian's Villa (this stop is before you get to Tivoli) or Tivoli. If you use the train to Tivoli you are still going to need a bus (or taxi) to get you out to Hadrian's Villa. DW and I really enjoyed Hardrian's Villa (even more then the gardens in town).

It is also important to keep in mind that Villa d'Este is closed on Mondays!

Hank

Hank and I are in complete agreement about the bus, if you are going to Hadrian's Villa (see post #11).

If you're only going to Villa d'Este I still think the train is easier and faster.

Thank you Euro and Hank. We do want to see Hadrians palace too.

My next question ....is Hadrian's palace open the end of October? We read somewhere that they are closed after September. Thanks.

Can I purchase advance tickets for either place?

Thank you Euro and Hank. We do want to see Hadrians palace too.

My next question ....is Hadrian's palace open the end of October? We read somewhere that they are closed after September. Thanks.

Can I purchase advance tickets for either place?

Hadrian's Villa is open all year although the hours do vary. All that happens at the end of October is that they start to close earlier (5pm) which would not impact your visit. I am sure if you can purchase tickets in advance, but really see no reason. In late October there will not be any long lines for tickets and they do not limit ticket sales at either site (Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa).

By the way, since its Italy strange things can always happen. We once stayed in Tivoli for 2 nights (a big mistake) and one morning walked over to the Villa d"Este to tour the place. It was closed, with no explanation (and it was not a Monday). So we walked a few yards over to the local tourist office and asked why the Villa was closed. They were not even aware it was closed (and they were within site of the entrance) so they made a phone call. Then they told us that the staff was having a staff meeting and they would open around 11! One must always remember , "It's Italy!"

Hank

If you are interested in how to use the bus to get to Hadrian's villa, you can find the nitty-gritty details from some posts of mine on the thread below, starting at about post #26:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=hadrian+s&page=2

Be aware that details like schedules do change over time, but there are a limited number of buses that make the stop that's REALLY close to Hadrian's villa (not palace).

We were there in October -- definitely open and definitely NOT crowded. There is no reason to worry about advance tickets for either this site or Villa d'Este at that time of year.

Euro and I can have fun confusing you with options :). If you are going to get on to the Metro "B" line, you might be better off just staying on that metro until you get to the

Ponte Mammolo station (which is above ground). From this station you can get the bus to Tivoli which really does not take much longer then the train. The big advantage to this bus line (we talked about this earlier) is that it will stop at Hadrian's Villa (this stop is before you get to Tivoli) or Tivoli. If you use the train to Tivoli you are still going to need a bus (or taxi) to get you out to Hadrian's Villa. DW and I really enjoyed Hardrian's Villa (even more then the gardens in town).

Hank

I think I have it now. Is this correct?

1. Take Metro line B from Termini metro station in directon of Rebberia and get off at Tiburtina station. From there I can walk (3/4 mile to Villa D'Este.

or

2. Take Metro line B from Termini metro station all the way to Ponte Mammola and catch bus to Tivoli which also stops at Hadrians Villa.

Quick questions.

1. If I take the bus from Corso Emmanuelle to the Termini metro station can I still use the same ticket for the Metro if it is within a certain time frame or are they two separate tickets?

2. Is the Villa D'Este walkable to Hadrian's Villa?

Thanks.

I think I have it now. Is this correct?

1. Take Metro line B from Termini metro station in directon of Rebberia and get off at Tiburtina station. From there I can walk (3/4 mile to Villa D'Este.

or

2. Take Metro line B from Termini metro station all the way to Ponte Mammola and catch bus to Tivoli which also stops at Hadrians Villa.

Quick questions.

1. If I take the bus from Corso Emmanuelle to the Termini metro station can I still use the same ticket for the Metro if it is within a certain time frame or are they two separate tickets?

2. Is the Villa D'Este walkable to Hadrian's Villa?

Thanks.

You and I are asking the same questions. LOL.

Hadrian's Villa is open all year although the hours do vary. All that happens at the end of October is that they start to close earlier (5pm) which would not impact your visit. I am sure if you can purchase tickets in advance, but really see no reason. In late October there will not be any long lines for tickets and they do not limit ticket sales at either site (Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa).

By the way, since its Italy strange things can always happen. We once stayed in Tivoli for 2 nights (a big mistake) and one morning walked over to the Villa d"Este to tour the place. It was closed, with no explanation (and it was not a Monday). So we walked a few yards over to the local tourist office and asked why the Villa was closed. They were not even aware it was closed (and they were within site of the entrance) so they made a phone call. Then they told us that the staff was having a staff meeting and they would open around 11! One must always remember , "It's Italy!"

Hank

Yes, as they say....."when in Rome"...lol. You have to go with the flow I guess. I told my DH that if for some reason we can't get in or we get lost, the excursion will be interesting and we will see some countryside. But I will be disappointed if we can't get into the Villa d'Este. I am SO looking forward to that. I saw a program on TV about it recently. It looked absolutely AMAZING!!

If you are interested in how to use the bus to get to Hadrian's villa, you can find the nitty-gritty details from some posts of mine on the thread below, starting at about post #26:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=hadrian+s&page=2

Be aware that details like schedules do change over time, but there are a limited number of buses that make the stop that's REALLY close to Hadrian's villa (not palace).

We were there in October -- definitely open and definitely NOT crowded. There is no reason to worry about advance tickets for either this site or Villa d'Este at that time of year.

I enjoyed reading your thread. Where is that restaurant, La Pigna? Sounds interesting.

Sorry, another question. :confused:

Is there a best time for visiting this museum? I understand that it is best to go to their online website and order advance tickets? So depending when we get this reserved, our trip to Villa d'Este or Hadrian's Villa will be worked around that.

Thanks to all those seasoned Rome visitors.

The Villa Borghese strictly limits the number of tickets per hour, so it really does not matter what time of day you go....but you should order tickets in advance. We really enjoy going to this Museum on Sunday's when many things in Rome are closed. The surrounding park is also a very nice place and we sometimes stop somewhere (on our way to the park) and buy some wine and sandwiches for our lunch...which we then enjoy in the park.

Hank

The Villa Borghese strictly limits the number of tickets per hour, so it really does not matter what time of day you go....but you should order tickets in advance. We really enjoy going to this Museum on Sunday's when many things in Rome are closed. The surrounding park is also a very nice place and we sometimes stop somewhere (on our way to the park) and buy some wine and sandwiches for our lunch...which we then enjoy in the park.

Hank

Yes, that is a good idea. To have a picnic lunch. The park looks lovely.

Archived