MDR length of dining time/dining with toddlers

christa

Hi there, I will be traveling with two toddlers and would like to take them to MDR a couple of times for dinner. If we are ready to order promplty when we arrive and explain that the toddlers cannot sit still for prolonged period of time, do you think the waiter could accomodate us and get us through all three courses in one hour? Is this possible? Anyone ever had in luck with this? Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I will be traveling with two toddlers and would like to take them to MDR a couple of times for dinner. If we are ready to order promplty when we arrive and explain that the toddlers cannot sit still for prolonged period of time, do you think the waiter could accomodate us and get us through all three courses in one hour? Is this possible? Anyone ever had in luck with this? Thanks in advance.

Absolutely. We did ATD and got in and out in less than an hour. We just told him to keep the food coming and not to wait until we were finished with one plate to bring the other. We had a 23 month old with us and needed to keep it short and sweet

It would probably depend upon the number of tables your wait staff are assigned to if you chose an assigned dining time. When it works, the dining experience is a well choreographed routine with the wait staff taking care of numerous tables at the same time and everyone finishing together.

If you do anytime dining, I think the wait staff has a little more flexibility and they will go out of their way to accommodate you.

if you are seated with others, probably not. Alone, maybe

I know this wasn't part of the original question but depending on the age of the toddler, camp carnival serves dinner for children starting at 6pm every night but the first night. We always drop off our child there and have a lovely dinner just the two of us in the MDR. This is one of our favorite parts of the cruise a date night for free!

I would do anytime dining. Not only would you have more flexibility with the length of your dining, but you don't have to worry about your table mates. It is common courtesy to let the table know you won't be coming to dinner, so if something happens (ie: cranky toddler), you don't have to worry about letting the matri'd know. Also, with ATD you can request the size of the table you want (I'm guessing you would prefer NOT to dine with other families).

I totally understand where you are coming from, as our son just turned 4. He enjoys a nice dinner and LOVES sit down restaurants (he likes to order his own meal from the waiter!), but traditional dining can last a bit long and I would chose ATD as a back up (I can totally see him needing an unscheduled nap from playing too long etc.). We are leaving him with my mom on our upcoming cruise (bless her!!), but we would chose ATD as opposed to late dining if he were joining us.

Have fun on your cruise!!

We had early dining on our Magic cruise earlier this month. We arrived promptly at 6pm every evening and were lucky to be out of there by 8pm. It was awful for our grandkids to sit and wait and wait and wait for their dinner. One night the entrees arrived at 7:50pm. We really had to gobble and go. Worst service we have ever had on a cruise!

We have always had luck with good waiters who were attentive to the fact kids can't sit long. Our last cruise we had a newly 2 yr old and a 3.5 yr old. We ordered for them as soon as we got there. While

We had our appetizer, they had their dinner. While

We had our dinner, they had dessert. Then we took them for a long walk up

To camp carnival and we had dessert, then went and got

The kiddos. It worked out well for us! Girls will be a year older next

Time and we may still do the same thing!!

Last year took our one year old (at the time) grandson.

We got thru dinner pretty quick but we took turns taking him for rides around the DR when he got bored so0 as not to bother other passengers.

Would suggest you plan to do the same.

If you explain your situation, they are usually very accommodating.

We had several adults and only 1 child so would take turns eating/strolling him around the foyer area. The staff was always good about having something for him the second we arrived.

Thanks everyone for the good tips! I am going to try to switch to ATD as we currently have the 6:00 reserved. We are going to let them go to Camp Carnival at least twice for dinner because we are going to Steakhouse, but wanted to have dinner with them the rest of the nights in the MDR. They are usually pretty good for up to an hour but then they just can't take sitting still any longer- 3 year old twin boys like to go, go, go! Thanks again!

When we took our 15 month old on a 7 day cruise last year, the first night or two he was really impatient waiting on the food and wanted to eat the entire basket of bread! So for the rest of the nights we looked at the menu on the TV and decided what we were going to order. Then I would go to the MDR, get our table, and order all of our food. My husband would bring him in about 15 or so minutes later. The appetizers were ready by then and things went much more smoothly. Even though we had ATD, we had the same table and servers each night and they were extremely accommodating. We are taking him on the Glory next month and we'll have his baby brother as well and we're hoping to still be able to enjoy the MDR with them.

I strongly suggest that you stay with the early traditional dining. This based on my experience when my daughter was small (18 months for her first cruise). My reasons:

1. Your table will be ready when you arrive at the MDR. No waiting for a table with active little ones. If you have not already requested a four top, do it now.

2. You will have the same wait staff who will know in advance that you are coming in. That means that after the first night when they will learn your needs, the table will be set up with anything your children may need. No training of new wait staff every night as to what you may need.

3. If you are on your own table, the wait staff will met your need for fast and efficient service. There will be no reason for trying to manage the meal flow of others at the table. (Again, wait staff will know your needs.)

4. If you are caught in the time warp when all service stops due to the annoying singing and dancing of the wait staff, you can leave and finish your meal (usually coffee and desserts) in the relative peace of the Lido.

More great advice- thanks! I think we will stick to reserved at 6, request a table by ourselves, be ready to order and request that things keep moving. Hopefully, we can enjoy a couple of nights with them in the MDR. I see an extra tip in my waiter's future!

Archived