Do you just lose to cruise?

I find it fascinating that soooo many people want to lose for their cruise. Is there a reason for this?

I would think that one would want to look and feel good all of the time, not just for a cruise.

It is kind of like saying " I am the mother of the bride and I have to fit into this size 6 dress"

So....my question is.....do you plan on gaining the weight back after the cruise? Is it just a "special" occasion that you want to look good for?

Just curious. :) But I REALLY would love to know.

Can't speak for all of the others here but for myself, it just gets tougher and tougher to lose weight and keep it off. I'm seventy now. I haven't worn a size six since the 1980s when I ran marathons running sixty miles a week training. Last year my Mother-of-the Groom outfit was a size fourteen.

Well, I just can't do all the strenuous exercise anymore. The pain is too great, I've had too many injuries from all that training and earning a blackbelt in karate too. Now hip, knee and ankle arthritis limits the exercise and a sluggish metabolism makes weight loss without lots of exercise extremely difficult.

So I try to sacrifice with limited success for special ocassions such as cruises but just can't sustain the effort all year long.

I take it that you do keep your weight off all the time. I used to be able to, but those days are long gone. Life happens. Maybe you will have always be able to sustain your weight and dress size.

I was really surprised to wake up and see that 134 people read the question overnight and only one person answered. I find this even more fascinating than the original question.

Gangway...thank you for your honest answer and any woman that still tries to maintain at the age of 70..with difficulties ...I say "God bless your soul".

I know how very difficult it is. Have been there many times.

I had my last baby seven months ago so I'm working hard to be able to fit into my warm weather clothes, which I happen to be packing for a cruise. Even at a comfortable weight I always try to lose a few before a cruise knowing I will be eating WAY more than I normally do. It's also part of the whole "planning" process for me; I want to look my best in my formal clothes and bathing suits, therefore I do my best to lose some chunk. It's a great reason/excuse for some people to get into shape.

I think people didn't answer because of the tone of your post. You're asking a very personal question about why people on here chose to lose and kind of making light of it... in that you're question reads like jeez are you only losing to cruise? ... you didn't write it that way, but trust me that's how it reads.

I decided about six months ago to make a total lifestyle change. I have lost as a result, although I wasn't technically overweight to begin with. My goal is complete fitness with a body fat percentage of 22%. I still have probably seven pounds of non-essential fat to lose, but I've got about 15 pounds of muscle to build to get there.

I also have gone to eating clean. Organic, 98% GMO free, no antibiotics, no rBGH, lots of vegetables and fruits, fish, lean meats, whole grains, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and healthy fats in reasonable quantities--olive oil, avocado, fish, and even whole eggs a few times a week. I also cut out 95% of the wheat and ALL the added sugars--I don't even use honey.

It's entirely sustainable. I don't feel deprived. If I want something sweet I eat some fruit. If I'm hungry, I eat--going hungry isn't good for your body or brain. I make smart food choices and I feel great as a result.

I find it fascinating that soooo many people want to lose for their cruise.
It's not necessarily lose FOR the cruise...but lose BEFORE your cruise.
Is there a reason for this?
Yes. A cruise is a good landmark goal. And it's likely to be recorded on film...or memory card.;)
I would think that one would want to look and feel good all of the time, not just for a cruise.
You would think so but this world isn't really much of a motivator at the moment...it's too easy to fall into bad habits and escapism when you are dealing with the world today. Looking forward to a cruise is a motivator to try to rise above the current state of the union.
It is kind of like saying " I am the mother of the bride and I have to fit into this size 6 dress"
Kind of, with one significant difference. A wedding is generally an occasion that can serve as a kind of reunion of sorts, and like other reunion type events...it can also serve as a motivator to kick start someone towards a goal toward greater health and fitness. Generally...a cruise is more personal. Less about how you look to other people and more about how you feel about yourself on vacation.
So....my question is.....do you plan on gaining the weight back after the cruise?
No.
Is it just a "special" occasion that you want to look good for?
Not "just" but at the risk of being repetitive, it's a good motivator.
Just curious. :) But I REALLY would love to know.
I agree with a PP...I'm imagining that you aren't trying to be snarky...but your post reads a bit...off. Curiosity mixed with...idk...something negative.

What wonderful answers. Have had a weight problem my whole life and understand the difficulties of losing weight.

My question was sincere and was looking for "motivating" answers. A little confused why someone said I was being snarky, but that is ok....I got a few great ideas.

Ducklite....I saw on another thread, your height and weight. (very tiny in my opinion).

So, since so many people on CC set a goal with a cruise in the near future, I may do the same with my up and coming cruise on the Summit. Wishing everyone a great weekend and HAPPY DIETING..:o:):o

It's not necessarily lose FOR the cruise...but lose BEFORE your cruise.

Yes. A cruise is a good landmark goal. And it's likely to be recorded on film...or memory card.;)

You would think so but this world isn't really much of a motivator at the moment...it's too easy to fall into bad habits and escapism when you are dealing with the world today. Looking forward to a cruise is a motivator to try to rise above the current state of the union.

Kind of, with one significant difference. A wedding is generally an occasion that can serve as a kind of reunion of sorts, and like other reunion type events...it can also serve as a motivator to kick start someone towards a goal toward greater health and fitness. Generally...a cruise is more personal. Less about how you look to other people and more about how you feel about yourself on vacation.

No.

Not "just" but at the risk of being repetitive, it's a good motivator.

I agree with a PP...I'm imagining that you aren't trying to be snarky...but your post reads a bit...off. Curiosity mixed with...idk...something negative.

Agree with your thoughts... Been here... Done this... Gained the weight back... And then some :)

My problem has always been setting arbitrary goals like this... Once the date comes, I lost the motivation and began trending the other way. Vicious cycle.

Agree with your thoughts... Been here... Done this... Gained the weight back... And then some :)

My problem has always been setting arbitrary goals like this... Once the date comes, I lost the motivation and began trending the other way. Vicious cycle.

This is why you need to make a commitment to a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Commitment made. Down 101.5 since feb 12... And still going. Running every day... Eating healthy... But needed a jump start. Dieted my whole life... Committed many times... Some people just need a little help to get there.

You seem to be opinionated on this topic... On this and another thread... I'll ask the same question here that I asked on the other... What's your situation? What was the highest you ever got? Where do you stand now? How's that lifestyle change going for you? Tell us more about how YOU fixed it.... Pray tell.

Commitment made. Down 101.5 since feb 12... And still going. Running every day... Eating healthy... But needed a jump start. Dieted my whole life... Committed many times... Some people just need a little help to get there.

You seem to be opinionated on this topic... On this and another thread... I'll ask the same question here that I asked on the other... What's your situation? What was the highest you ever got? Where do you stand now? How's that lifestyle change going for you? Tell us more about how YOU fixed it.... Pray tell.

... I am... For the first time... Since 6th grade... In the "normal" BMI. Category... Something I NEVER would have achieved otherwise.

I increased my exercise, began eating clean, dropped 30 pounds without ever feeling hungry. No pills, magic diets, or surgeries. On my way to 22% body fat and a bikini body for the first time in 40 years.

I increased my exercise, began eating clean, dropped 30 pounds without ever feeling hungry. No pills, magic diets, or surgeries. On my way to 22% body fat and a bikini body for the first time in 40 years.

That's fantastic... I really is. Congrats on your achievement.

Think about this though. Most who consider a surgery aren't concerned with fitting in a bikini,.. They are not going to the beach... Cause the last time they were there they were laughed at... They have dieted and tried their hardest... By made a lifestyle change... Maybe had a pint of egg whites... But after 6 months... That lifestyle allowed other things to creep in... And that creep grew over time,,. Then 6 months later... The 30 lbs they lost is back... And it brought another 10 with it.

That's fantastic... I really is. Congrats on your achievement.

Think about this though. Most who consider a surgery aren't concerned with fitting in a bikini,.. They are not going to the beach... Cause the last time they were there they were laughed at... They have dieted and tried their hardest... By made a lifestyle change... Maybe had a pint of egg whites... But after 6 months... That lifestyle allowed other things to creep in... And that creep grew over time,,. Then 6 months later... The 30 lbs they lost is back... And it brought another 10 with it.

If I didn't commit to--and don't stay with the lifestyle change I'll gain it back as we'll. and at my age it becomes harder and harder to lose, particularly due to hormonal changes occurring in my body. Whether it's six or 600 pounds, we'll all gain it back if we don't commit to keeping it off.

If I didn't commit to--and don't stay with the lifestyle change I'll gain it back as we'll. and at my age it becomes harder and harder to lose, particularly due to hormonal changes occurring in my body. Whether it's six or 600 pounds, we'll all gain it back if we don't commit to keeping it off.

That's where you are just wrong... And don't get it. I'm sorry. There is a huge difference between 6 lbs and 600 lbs... Huge difference between 30 and 60.... Unless you have been there, you don't... And won't get it. Just do yourself a favor thought, and I truly mean this... Understand that it is very patronizing to tell someone who REALLY has weight issues that its just about the food choices and about exercise... And seeing a shrink... They won't tell you, but they will resent you.

I always maintain my weight. I exercise(train with weights and cardio) 5-6 days a week, and eat healthy. I include all food groups in my nutritional plan. I do not eat fried, salty foods, or drink alcohol. I always drink water. I allow myself 2 treat meals a week. On a cruise, I eat whatever I want(except for fried foods and alcohol), and exercise everyday at the gym on the ship. Eating healthy is the best diet because you are not eliminating food groups. Moderation not deprivation! I follow the 80/20 principle. Eat healthy 80% of the time, enjoy yourself 20% of the time, and exercise ALL OF THE TIME!

That's where you are just wrong... And don't get it. I'm sorry. There is a huge difference between 6 lbs and 600 lbs... Huge difference between 30 and 60.... Unless you have been there, you don't... And won't get it. Just do yourself a favor thought, and I truly mean this... Understand that it is very patronizing to tell someone who REALLY has weight issues that its just about the food choices and about exercise... And seeing a shrink... They won't tell you, but they will resent you.

Are you saying that someone with food issues shouldn't seek counseling? Because I think you are dead wrong, and most doctors will require this prior to performing any sort if barbaric surgery. Seeking counseling for food issues is no different than seeking counseling for drug addiction or any other issue that has a negative affect on one's life.

So Agree!

I'm on the other end of the scale so need to make sure I don't skip meals because I'm not hungry so I can keep as close as possible to 110. :o

It's not always about being overweight .... :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

What wonderful answers. Have had a weight problem my whole life and understand the difficulties of losing weight.

My question was sincere and was looking for "motivating" answers. A little confused why someone said I was being snarky, but that is ok....I got a few great ideas.

Ducklite....I saw on another thread, your height and weight. (very tiny in my opinion).

So, since so many people on CC set a goal with a cruise in the near future, I may do the same with my up and coming cruise on the Summit. Wishing everyone a great weekend and HAPPY DIETING..:o:):o

The written word on a forum like this can be interpreted in so many ways. Misinterpretations are generally corrected if you continue to participate and how you participate in the conversation.

There's a mindset that you have to develop if you want to have successful long term fat loss and generally good health and fitness levels. People will say it over and over again...lifestyle change not a diet. And the way that people say this, I believe it makes it sound like the two are mutually exclusive. You either diet, that is, you change your diet to something restrictive with the sole purpose of losing weight...once you hit the goal, you change your eating habits again...reverting back to what got you overweight in the first place. Once you are overweight again...you diet, etc etc.

And they make the lifestyle change sound like you eat one way all the time.

IMO...you have to do a little of both. You may have to start with a more restrictive eating plan...a DIET...in order to stop a negative pattern. If you are experiencing cravings especially...then you are out of balance and it may take a hard swing in the opposite direction to get back into balance.

But then, you can swing back and forth. I really like what a PP said about 80/20. I think this is right on. You have your maintenance mode...that is, you regularly eat what is healthy for your body type and situation...and then you have some indulgences. And the balance is about that 80/20. There may be times when you over indulge...maybe you just had a bit too much "fun" on your cruise and so you have to swing that pendulum more significantly restrictive for a time after your cruise to get back on track.

But this is what I mean by a combination of lifestyle and diet. Bodies like to be in balance...when we are over fat...our body is simply out of balance. We might need to live in opposite world for a while (diet) to get back into balance...but the diet should be very specific to what our own personal issues are. One size does not fit all. Understanding your personal challenges can be very empowering to know what to do to get back into balance and then maintain it once you hit your goal.

I believe that it depends on how you set your goals. I tell you what my REAL goal is. My REAL goal is to celebrate my one hundred eleventieth birthday. My Great Grandma lived to 93 years. She lived independently. She exercised every day. She ate healthily. She went to sleep in her own bed and she never awaken. Wow. That's what I want and more. I want almost 20 more years over her achievement.

Meanwhile...I have benchmarks set that I believe will help me achieve this goal. Yes, fat loss is a big part of this equation. But not the only part, for sure. And a cruise date is simply a celebration of progress toward the ultimate goal.

Motivation is a key factor in anything that we do. What is always interesting to me is how people generally go back into poor habits when they lose motivation. I have often wondered why. What is it that makes these appealing? Why are these the fall back position? I've worked hard to try to find alternatives to things that I know are the poor decisions so that I have premade "less bad" choices available for when motivation is low.

And so planning is really also a key factor.

Congratulations on being "normal" for the first time in so long. A very awesome achievement.

Ok I've just bought my first maxi dress for my cruise! So going to do s bit of a diet as its a bit tight. I'm not going to weigh myself again until I try on the dress I won't try it on til oct 20 5 days before my cruise and I hope it looks the part ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived