Sapphire/Star Princess?

SevenSeas1492

My husband's and my Pacific Coast cruise with Celebrity (Millennium) was just cancelled today due to a mechanical problem. As we live on the East Coast, we were really looking forward to experiencing the West Coast. I was looking at Princess for a similar cruise out of Vancouver, B.C., and there are two: The Sapphire Princess and the Star Princess. Having sailed almost exclusively with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, I know nothing about these two ships. I would like to get your opinions about pros and cons. The itinerary is the same, so that's not a consideration. I would need to book asap if we are to do this. Thank you for any feedback.

JC

I prefer the Sapphire because of it's size to passenger ratio and the 2 pools on the very aft of the ship. I haven't been on the Star, but have been on it's 2 sister ships (Grand & Golden) many times. The Star's size is smaller, the ship is older, but you really can't go wrong with either one. ;)

My husband's and my Pacific Coast cruise with Celebrity (Millennium) was just cancelled today due to a mechanical problem. As we live on the East Coast, we were really looking forward to experiencing the West Coast. I was looking at Princess for a similar cruise out of Vancouver, B.C., and there are two: The Sapphire Princess and the Star Princess. Having sailed almost exclusively with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, I know nothing about these two ships. I would like to get your opinions about pros and cons. The itinerary is the same, so that's not a consideration. I would need to book asap if we are to do this. Thank you for any feedback.

JC

I have sailed on both ships. I definately prefer the Sapphire. Instead of two huge anytime dining rooms like the other ships, the Sapphire has 4 smaller ones which makes them more quiet and relaxing. Each has a featured entree but the rest of the menus are all the same.

Both ships are very similar. They have similar layouts, venues and passenger loads. The Star has an extra show lounge, The Vista Lounge, deck 7 aft. The Sapphire has Club Fusion in this area, which is more of a nightclub. I prefer the Vista Lounge.

The Star has three large MDR's. The one on deck 6 aft is used for traditional early & late seating dining. The two others are mid ship. One may be used for overflow early seating traditional dining, and then opens around 7:30pm for Anytime Dining (ATD). The other is used for ATD.

The Sapphire also has the Deck 6 dinning room aft, but mid ship it has four half sized dining rooms. One of these may be used for early seating overflow traditional dining and open later for ATD. The other 3 are for ATD. All dining rooms have the same menu, but there is one themed dish for each of the four half sized dining rooms.

Book the ship that fits your schedule.

I prefer the Sapphire because of it's size to passenger ratio and the 2 pools on the very aft of the ship. I haven't been on the Star, but have been on it's 2 sister ships (Grand & Golden) many times. The Star's size is smaller, the ship is older, but you really can't go wrong with either one. ;)

I have sailed on both ships. I definately prefer the Sapphire. Instead of two huge anytime dining rooms like the other ships, the Sapphire has 4 smaller ones which makes them more quiet and relaxing. Each has a featured entree but the rest of the menus are all the same.

Those are some of the reasons I prefer the Sapphire however price & availability may be the deciding factor for me.

The Sapphire's promenade deck is wide enough to have loungers instead of just chairs on the Star. The Sapphire's size (nearly 116,000 tons) is the largest Princess ship (until the Royal/Regal) & carries only 80 more passengers than the Star which is about 7,000 tons smaller. Sapphire has the wonderful Alfredo's Pizzeria, Vines & International Cafe in the Piazza which was renovated earlier this year.

I prefer the Star's Crown Grill specialty restaurant ($25/pp) which is a much nicer venue than for Sterling's Steakhouse. The CG's wood paneled steakhouse & a more varied menu are better than Sterling's aft end of the buffet seating area which is seperated by a divider/door with a smaller menu.

We have been on both the Star and the Sapphire and prefer the Sapphire - we like the ATD eating venues and it's a newer than the Star. Another thing, if you like live music, is that one of the greatest bands that plays for the Princess fleet is on the Sapphire starting 8/24. They are Tempo Quattro - from Eastern Europe, all very talented with a great female lead singer. You can watch her on U-Tube doing Etta James' "At Last" - great music, either to dance to or just listen to.

JC

We sailed the Sapphire Princess - California Coastal in May 2012 and loved every minute of it. The ship is beautiful and the crew was wonderful. We are cruising California Coastal again on the Star Princess September 2013. The passengers for the most part are older, IMO you cant go wrong with Princess, class act all the way!

The public areas on the Star felt crowded while those on the Sapphire did not. The passenger to space ratio difference is really noticeable in my opinion. Given a choice, I'd go with the Sapphire hands down. I really didn't like the Star at all. But, given a choice of Star or no cruise, I'd go with the Star.

Jackie

I have been on both, and while both offer a wonderful cruise, if I had to choose, I would choose Sapphire Princess for all of the above reasons.

Sapphire just has a larger, more open feel to it--inside and out; and the Promenade deck is much wider.

Thanks, everybody. It sounds like we couldn't go wrong with either ship. Guess we'll have to flip a coin! (and hope for no engine problems)!

Not to worry about engine problems. I attended a "Technical @Sea" program, where the First Engineer explained that the Grand Class ships have six Wartsila engines. It was all quite reassuring. (Wartsila is the Finnish company that also built the original Royal Princess, considered by many here to be the greatest ship ever.)

Enjoy your cruise on either ship. Especially enjoy Victoria, where the coastal cruises stop for a longer time than most other cruises do. Don't miss Butchart Gardens and also the illuminated legislative buildings at night.

Don't miss sailing out of Vancouver, under the Lions Gate Bridge, and sailing into San Francisco, under the Golden Gate Bridge. Included on either ship:)

Sailing past the USS Iowa, when arriving in San Pedro, is also quite a sight. The Iowa is the sister ship of the USS Missouri. This is so interesting that it somewhat takes the sting out of the end of the cruise. Somewhat... (The Iowa is now on display in San Pedro, and watch for her on your port side as you arrive.) Also included on either ship :) The Sapphire or the Star, that is :). The Iowa and the Missouri aren't doing any more cruises :)

Bon voyage :)

Thanks, everybody. It sounds like we couldn't go wrong with either ship. Guess we'll have to flip a coin! (and hope for no engine problems)!

You are right. Both are good. However, I must post again that the Sapphire, in my humble opinion, is the best of the two.:D:D:D:D

Just booked the Sapphire for a Pacific Coastal cruise out of Vancouver. This cruise's itinerary is close to the Millennium's, and we are planning on having a great time and putting this whole Millennium thing behind us! Thanks for everybody's input, and if anybody has any "must see's or do's" on this ship, let me know. I plan to do a lot of reading on these boards and would welcome any input, as this is our first cruise on Princess.

Jane

things to do on the sapphire:

• wake view bar - go to the back of club fusion and walk down the spiral staircase, few know about this (well those that don't read this website)
  • enjoy the deck loungers on promenade deck
  • alfredos pizzeria
  • skywalkers is a great, usually quiet place to watcht he secenery during the day

Just booked the Sapphire for a Pacific Coastal cruise out of Vancouver. This cruise's itinerary is close to the Millennium's, and we are planning on having a great time and putting this whole Millennium thing behind us! Thanks for everybody's input, and if anybody has any "must see's or do's" on this ship, let me know. I plan to do a lot of reading on these boards and would welcome any input, as this is our first cruise on Princess.

Jane

Lucky you :) Good choice!!!

Enjoy everything. Princess Theater, for shows and movies, is so nice.

Please do enjoy the wonderful promenade deck.

Enjoy Alfredo's after a full day of port touring.

Pizza by the slice, outside on deck 14, is also a personal favorite of mine.

Bon voyage!

Archived