British Airways Toronto to Barcelona questions

patiolaterns

We are flying Toronto Ontario Canada to Heathrow airport England and then onto Barcelona Spain - all on British Airways.

Questions:

1) Can our luggage be checked thru from Toronto to our final destination of Barcelona?

2) Do we have to pick up checked luggage and go thru customs upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting to our flight to Barcelona? Both flights arrive and depart Terminal 5.

3) Do we have to go thru security upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting with our next flight to Barcelona?

4) Any problems packing a litre of rum in our checked luggage for arrival in Barcelona?

Note my answers in red

We are flying Toronto Ontario Canada to Heathrow airport England and then onto Barcelona Spain - all on British Airways.

Questions:

1) Can our luggage be checked thru from Toronto to our final destination of Barcelona? Yes, your bag will be checked through YYZ-LHR-BCN at check-in in Toronto

2) Do we have to pick up checked luggage and go thru customs upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting to our flight to Barcelona? Both flights arrive and depart Terminal 5. No, you do not clear immigration or customs in London. You will be a transit passenger. Follow the signs for "connecting flights" and you bypass UK Immigration.

3) Do we have to go thru security upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting with our next flight to Barcelona? Yes. No immigration/customs, but you do re-clear security at LHR. Lines can be long, if you don't have priority status, depending on the time of day.

4) Any problems packing a litre of rum in our checked luggage for arrival in Barcelona?The only problem would be breakage, so pack it really good. Spanish customs has no problem with a liter of alcohol to my knowledge. Double check Spanish customs website to make sure.

Questions:

1) Can our luggage be checked thru from Toronto to our final destination of Barcelona?

2) Do we have to pick up checked luggage and go thru customs upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting to our flight to Barcelona? Both flights arrive and depart Terminal 5.

3) Do we have to go thru security upon arrival at Heathrow before connecting with our next flight to Barcelona?

4) Any problems packing a litre of rum in our checked luggage for arrival in Barcelona?

Find out from BA what your carryon limit is. It might be that London to Barcelona is different but many BA flights are limited to ONE carryon, no personal item like a purse. When we were changing from a BA flight from France to a transatlantic BA flight at Heathrow there was a security check and the agent wouldn't let me pass until I squeezed my purse into my carryon. The limit was ONE carryon and my purse, which was not large, was counted as a carryon so if my purse didn't fit inside my carryon I was going to have to check my carryon in as checked luggage there.

Unless I'm mistaken you will be able to shop Duty Free at Heathrow... if that's correct I'd just pick up the rum there rather than put some in your luggage. It will be cheaper and safer.

If anyone has flown through Heathrow recently and can confirm this it would be great. We did this but it was over 5 yrs ago and I'm sure things may have changed.

Unless I'm mistaken you will be able to shop Duty Free at Heathrow... if that's correct I'd just pick up the rum there rather than put some in your luggage. It will be cheaper and safer.

If anyone has flown through Heathrow recently and can confirm this it would be great. We did this but it was over 5 yrs ago and I'm sure things may have changed.

Yes, Duty Free is available post-security at LHR T5. I haven't been there since March, but I think my memory is correct.

With all due respect I would check this. Not sure if there are different rules for overseas passengers in transit but Europeans have no duty free allowance when travelling within the EU. I live in Scotland and when I fly BA from Edinburgh to Barcelona with flight change in London T5 I can purchase tax free goods but not duty free. Tax free items cost a lot more than duty free :eek:

We're doing the same flight set up in November, so thanks for posting the questions.

I do have one further question for the kind responders, if your flights are two separate tickets (ours are - the first flight was purchased through Air Miles and the second through BA), then you have to pick up your baggage and check in for the second flight, right? I'm assuming this means we'd have to go through Immigration to get to the check in desks.

This is our first trip through Heathrow and our first trip with connecting flights, so any other info would be appreciated (especially concerning the pub in T5 - DH needs to stop for a pint or two between flights :rolleyes:).

BTW: the baggage allowances are the same as long as you're flying in the same class level, or at least they were the last time I checked.

We're doing the same flight set up in November, so thanks for posting the questions.

I do have one further question for the kind responders, if your flights are two separate tickets (ours are - the first flight was purchased through Air Miles and the second through BA), then you have to pick up your baggage and check in for the second flight, right? I'm assuming this means we'd have to go through Immigration to get to the check in desks.

This is our first trip through Heathrow and our first trip with connecting flights, so any other info would be appreciated (especially concerning the pub in T5 - DH needs to stop for a pint or two between flights :rolleyes:).

BTW: the baggage allowances are the same as long as you're flying in the same class level, or at least they were the last time I checked.

Present both itineraries (YYZ-LHR and LHR-BCN) upon check-in at YYZ. They should check the bag all the way through to BCN, meaning you would not need to pick it up (or clear immigration) at LHR.

Can't offer any tips on the pubs at LHR T5 as I head to the BA lounge where the beers are deliciously free ;) BUT, I know there are a couple...not many, though.

Can't offer any tips on the pubs at LHR T5 as I head to the BA lounge where the beers are deliciously free ;) BUT, I know there are a couple...not many, though.

The pub chain JD Wetherspoon has a number of airport pubs both at LHR and other UK airports. You can get details at THIS LINK.

The pub chain JD Wetherspoon has a number of airport pubs both at LHR and other UK airports. You can get details at THIS LINK.

I say OP should just build in a long layover and hop the tube a couple stops to Green Man and watch the airlines with a pint ;)

At least...that's what I do.

I must confess that the LHR area isn't one of my "regulars", thus more inquiry on pubs. Have a forced overnight at the Radisson at LHR. Wondering if Zach has any experience with Three Bells, Three Magpies, or Pheasant Inn, which seem in walking distance? Or must I take the Hoppa to the tube to the Green Man?

Enquiring beer minds (and livers) want to know!

I must confess that the LHR area isn't one of my "regulars", thus more inquiry on pubs. Have a forced overnight at the Radisson at LHR. Wondering if Zach has any experience with Three Bells, Three Magpies, or Pheasant Inn, which seem in walking distance? Or must I take the Hoppa to the tube to the Green Man?

Enquiring beer minds (and livers) want to know!

I must admit that, out of those three, I've only been to Three Magpies. And that was a few years ago. It was pretty good - some locals, some tourists in the nearby hotels. Decent beer selection.

I looked at Pheasant Inn and it looks...interesting. Doesn't seem like the kind of place I would enjoy, because it looks more modern and such, and I love the old English pub feeling (that Green Man definitely has, and Three Magpies has to an extent)

I'm just partial to Green Man because of the view - sitting outside on the picnic benches on a nice day, watching the planes buzz over (when the winds are right). But it's probably not worth it when there are pubs closer to your hotel.

Thank you for the info, I'll add the names of the pubs to my list for the day when we do our dedicated London trip :). When we were in Southampton for three days, DH managed to try nearly 2 dozen different beers (including the bottles I carried on board our cruise). He's like a Kid a candy store.

I thought about trying for a longer layover, but I don't fly well and want to get it over in one swoop. As it is, we have about 3.5 hours in LHR, barring any further changes or delays. So long as DH can get a pint in, he'll be happy. I know some say "happy wife happy life", but it does work the other way too. It's our first time on BA so I have to admit I don't know anything about lounges, etc.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Do check the allowed carry-on limit, they are strict. We're doing a similar route in a couple of months. Flew through Heathrow in the spring, and found it well-organized, so even though there's a fair amount of walking, there were lots of signs and even people to direct you.

We looked at duty free liquor while we were waiting to fly to Lisbon, and found the prices pretty high.

We looked at duty free liquor while we were waiting to fly to Lisbon, and found the prices pretty high.

Comparing it to prices you find in the Caribbean on popular-type brands, you are correct. However, what you do find at LHR are many specialty labels that you can't find in North America.

In addition, a purchase at LHR for a flight to LIS would be intra-EU. It would be at best "Tax-Free", which is different than "Duty-Free". For true "Duty-Free", it would have to be purchased outside the EU.

Like everything in life, being a knowledgeable consumer is the best defense.

Do check the allowed carry-on limit, they are strict. We're doing a similar route in a couple of months. Flew through Heathrow in the spring, and found it well-organized, so even though there's a fair amount of walking, there were lots of signs and even people to direct you.

We're flying back on Westjet and they have tougher carry on rules than BA so I'm not too concerned. There's no point in taking a carry on that can't make it onto the flight home. It's a little frustrating, but it is what it is.

I do have one further question for the kind responders, if your flights are two separate tickets (ours are - the first flight was purchased through Air Miles and the second through BA),

This is our first trip through Heathrow and our first trip with connecting flights,

Missed this the first time around. If you have two separate tickets (YYZ-LHR and LHR-BCN), then you do NOT have connecting flights. You have two separate and distinct tickets. Further, several airlines have been changing their baggage rules so that these arrangements are NOT entitled to through luggage check-in. I don't have the specific BA rules, but you should check this.

We're flying back on Westjet and they have tougher carry on rules than BA so I'm not too concerned. There's no point in taking a carry on that can't make it onto the flight home. It's a little frustrating, but it is what it is.

Now I get really confused. To the best of my knowledge, Westjet does not fly to the UK. So how are you flying "back" on Westjet? As for the smaller carry-on size, that was a function of your choice of Westjet. You get what you pay for.

Now I get really confused. To the best of my knowledge, Westjet does not fly to the UK. So how are you flying "back" on Westjet?

Returning from BCN, they could be connecting elsewhere, no?

Then again, I've never even heard of Westjet, so what do I know?!

Sorry for all of the confusion, I'm still new at this travelling thing :o.

Yes, they are two separate tickets for the flights to BCN so I guess that means we'll have to pick up our bags and go up to check in for the second flight. At least I'll know if the bags made it to LHR ;).

We're doing a TA cruise, so we disembark in Fort Lauderdale, hence the WestJet flight home. Our last cruise was also a TA (Southampton to Fort Lauderdale) and again we had a generous carry on and checked baggage allowance over, but a more restrictive one for the flight home.

I need to learn how to pack less, anyway.

Yes, they are two separate tickets for the flights to BCN so I guess that means we'll have to pick up our bags and go up to check in for the second flight. At least I'll know if the bags made it to LHR ;).

We're doing a TA cruise, so we disembark in Fort Lauderdale, hence the WestJet flight home. Our last cruise was also a TA (Southampton to Fort Lauderdale) and again we had a generous carry on and checked baggage allowance over, but a more restrictive one for the flight home.

I need to learn how to pack less, anyway.

Let's try this again. Who are you flying with from North America to the UK, and who from the UK to Spain? And how long (3 1/2 hours?) do you have at Heathrow between flights?

Not necessarily. Depends on the airline(s) involved.

To echo Gardyloo, and amplify:

If you tell us your actual routing, airlines, flights and times - we'll be able to give you some pretty solid advice. If you tell us how you purchased your tickets, we can determine how many tickets are involved.

OTOH, if you think that a stalker here on the forum will stake out the airport, waiting for your anonymous self to exit the jetway because you told us your flight plans, then I guess we'll just have to....guess.

First flight: YYZ to LHR with BA - tickets purchased through Airmiles (a loyalty program that I don't think exists in the U.S., they are the ticket agent in this case). This flight departs at 10:05 pm, arriving at LHR at 9:50 am. This is a direct flight and I have confirmed the reservation and have a proper ticket number.

Second flight: LHR to BCN with BA - tickets purchased through BA website (Airmiles didn't have any flights available between LHR and BCN on their system and I was still trying to save a bit of money:rolleyes:). This flight departs LHR at 1:30 pm. Both flights are through T5 at LHR.

When I first booked the flights, the departure times were a little different. The first flight was leaving at 9:30pm and the second at 2:00pm, so I lost an hour in layover time when the schedules were adjusted. Up to now we've flown direct (non-stop, no changing planes), and I've never been through Heathrow so this is all new to me (obviously).

Once again, sorry for the confusion and thank you for your patience.

BTW: not worried about stalkers, just trying not to waste time giving too many unnecessary details - only problem with that is I'm not sure what's necessary and what isn't :o.

Archived