Where can I opening wine?

chanpion13

I , and I usually have my bottle of wine, my wife takes another on for me, then I have a bottle or two of my Bon Voyage Rum. I have taken these bottles all over the ship never having a problem or a corkage fee. High decks above the Lido, library and Sports Bar are the main places I sit.

Even upon boarding, while my wife explores the ship, I sit with all our luggage watching the football games, and crack my first bottle within a 1/2 hour upon boarding. Never a problem.

I will add, we don't go near the Lido Pool or in the MDR on cruises, and these places seem to be the sensitive areas for glass or corkage fees.

I opened my bottle in my room, poured myself a glass ( I had ordered a wine @ one of the bars earlier in the day and kept the glass) and brought my glass and the bottle to the MDR with no corkage fees....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Carnival Legend

Hi. If we can bring a bottle per person on board, can we just open it anywhere besides the MDR? Like can I bring a bottle and open it next to the pool?

I open a bottle or two in the MDR every cruise. Only once did I get charged for corkage.

A little bit off topic but I thought this may be new and some good info for someone. I ordered bottles through BV yesterday and at the end of my purchase I had to agree to only drink it in my stateroom and check the box. Is this new ? They always allowed you to bring a drink in the MDR for dinner

There's no way a glass of wine tastes better out of one glass/cup compared to another. I might give on the styrofoam if you are sucking on the edge enough to draw air through the pours of the container, which could give it a bit of a plasticky aroma mixed with the wine taste. In any event, if the goal is to drink it by the pool, glass is out and it will be fine.

I believe if you open it in any of the ships public areas you have to pay the corkage fee. If you open it in your cabin no corkage fee. Keep it in your cabin and ask your steward for a few wine glasses for your cabin. Poor a glass and take it with you.

Do you know if the cabin steward can get us a cork screw as well as extra wine glasses, or should we plan to bring our own opener?

Do you know if the cabin steward can get us a cork screw as well as extra wine glasses, or should we plan to bring our own opener?

Your steward should be able to get you a corkscrew and glasses. You can also stop at the bars and ask for tje glasses.

A little bit off topic but I thought this may be new and some good info for someone. I ordered bottles through BV yesterday and at the end of my purchase I had to agree to only drink it in my stateroom and check the box. Is this new ? They always allowed you to bring a drink in the MDR for dinner

Wow, that's interesting. I have two bottles in my shopping cart right now, but haven't yet pulled the trigger to buy. I'll let you know what I see. Regardless, I'll be pouring in my cabin and carrying it around the ship to enjoy if I want to.

Can you order more than two bottles from BV. It seems to limit you to two, so I was just wondering..

Your steward should be able to get you a corkscrew and glasses. You can also stop at the bars and ask for tje glasses.

on our last cruise we were directed to ask for a corkscrew from room service. We did and got the usual cheapo one with Carnival on it. Worked fine. Just saying the cabin attendant did not have any to give out.

Opus One in a plastic cup!!!!!

:eek:

SAY it isn't so! But then again we have been known to bring our Riedel glasses with us unless we are on a cruise line that has them. Yes, the glass DOES make a difference in taste!

BTW - we have an '09 Opus One calling to us......... :-)

Wow, that's interesting. I have two bottles in my shopping cart right now, but haven't yet pulled the trigger to buy. I'll let you know what I see. Regardless, I'll be pouring in my cabin and carrying it around the ship to enjoy if I want to.

Can you order more than two bottles from BV. It seems to limit you to two, so I was just wondering..

Im going to using my sports bottles as always around the ship or while in port

I tried to buy 3 and wasn't allowed ,I could only buy 2

I found platic one piece wine glasses at my local walmart. They have a decent weight and were only a couple bucks each. Solves glass issue for luggage and around the ship. Used fabric paint and decorated the stem to make them stand out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Elation yesterday and had a new experience with wine. This was our 18th carnival cruise, so I have consumed some serious wine during that time.

We use all carry on luggage so do not pack a corkscrew and never needed to. Room steward always loaned us one or we called room service and they sent one down. This time the steward said they did not have access to them, room service said they would charge $10 per bottle, which is what the bar tender said, too. The gift shop no longer sells corkscrews either.

Fortunately, we had tipped our steward when we met him and when he realized our problem, he called a waiter friend who came down and opened them for us. How crazy.

We are on a 12 day European cruise next month and have a large wine package ordered, so I went to Formalities to make sure wine ordered thru BV would include a corkscrew and she said yes. Thank goodness.

If you like the plastic stemmed wineglasses, you can get them from any poolside bar.

When my DGD was a toddler and into everything, I used to put my evening wine in a tervis style cup. My DD always called it my adult sippy cup.

We just got off the Elation yesterday and had a new experience with wine. This was our 18th carnival cruise, so I have consumed some serious wine during that time.

We use all carry on luggage so do not pack a corkscrew and never needed to. Room steward always loaned us one or we called room service and they sent one down. This time the steward said they did not have access to them, room service said they would charge $10 per bottle, which is what the bar tender said, too. The gift shop no longer sells corkscrews either.

Fortunately, we had tipped our steward when we met him and when he realized our problem, he called a waiter friend who came down and opened them for us. How crazy.

We are on a 12 day European cruise next month and have a large wine package ordered, so I went to Formalities to make sure wine ordered thru BV would include a corkscrew and she said yes. Thank goodness.

If you like the plastic stemmed wineglasses, you can get them from any poolside bar.

When my DGD was a toddler and into everything, I used to put my evening wine in a tervis style cup. My DD always called it my adult sippy cup.

Nice. Sure you can bring wine onboard .....but $10 to open it

Sort of like me ordering two bottles of rum for $160 for our cruise in a couple of weeks

gotta love being ripped off at every chance possible ;)

Nobody likes others having glass anything near a pool.

When I present a coupon for the wine I purchased as the wine package when getting on the ship, they deliver the bottle in a ice bucket with plastic wine glasses. I have never been told I cannot have my wine bottle on the Lido.

Once I even had to retrieve it from the atrium bar and bring it to the Lido deck because the Lido didn't have the variety I wanted in stock.

Never was charged a corkage fee because I purchased the wine package. They do not charge you corkage for wine purchased aboard.

Good information thanks.. So am I understanding correctly that the wine I ordered via BV to be delivered to our cabin at boarding will include a corkscrew with the order?

There's no way a glass of wine tastes better out of one glass/cup compared to another. I might give on the styrofoam if you are sucking on the edge enough to draw air through the pours of the container, which could give it a bit of a plasticky aroma mixed with the wine taste. In any event, if the goal is to drink it by the pool, glass is out and it will be fine.

If you have never tried a breathable wine glass, you would be very surprised! We do blind taste testing with friends-2 different glasses, one breathable one not but same wine. 90% of the time they choose the wine in the breathable glass. I now take one on board with me for my wine in the room.

Pat

Nice. Sure you can bring wine onboard .....but $10 to open it

Sort of like me ordering two bottles of rum for $160 for our cruise in a couple of weeks

gotta love being ripped off at every chance possible ;)

Kind of why we bring a box of wine on the ship with us. No worries.

Archived