Our Splendid Splendor cruise (with pics) 8/13/13

Jamman54

Living in the New York area, cruising from here is more cost effective for us, since there is no airfare involved. I will always love the Spirit Class ships the best, and really miss the Legend and Miracle whom we sailed on many times when they were here. But the Splendor is ours now, so the million dollar question is, would we sail her again? Absolutely!!!! First of all, this was a happy crew. EVERY single crew member that we came in contact with this cruise, had a smile on their face, were extremely polite, and always helpful. I know that on every cruise there has to be the worst room stewards, the worst wait staff, etc, but we ran into the best all cruise long, so even the worst must be pretty darn good!!!

The cruise director Malcolm “Woo Hoo” Burn, you either love him or hate him, we just chose to ignore him.

Only real downer for me was the Serenity area, but I knew that before we even boarded. Hopefully, they will correct that mess in the future. Bring a hardhat for those errant golf balls!!

I echo Jamman's comments EXACTLY. We have also cruised on Spirit and Miracle many times and the Legend also (only one missing is Pride, right Jamman? :rolleyes:) and were nervous about sailing on a "new ship" but we loved the Splendor and her crew and booked her again for next February! ;) Jamman, I will join the others in thanking you for sharing this cruise with us. Even tho you had bad weather when you embarked the ship, looks like you picked a great week otherwise! I just hope Kevin had a good summer and is not too envious looking thru your pictures! And I hope you have lots of photo frames for them and you will look back on them with good memories. Hope you can book another cruise soon! Come join us in February! We can meet up at sailaway for a Mudslide! :D

Living in the New York area, cruising from here is more cost effective for us, since there is no airfare involved. I will always love the Spirit Class ships the best, and really miss the Legend and Miracle whom we sailed on many times when they were here. But the Splendor is ours now, so the million dollar question is, would we sail her again? Absolutely!!!! First of all, this was a happy crew. EVERY single crew member that we came in contact with this cruise, had a smile on their face, were extremely polite, and always helpful. I know that on every cruise there has to be the worst room stewards, the worst wait staff, etc, but we ran into the best all cruise long, so even the worst must be pretty darn good!!!

The cruise director Malcolm “Woo Hoo” Burn, you either love him or hate him, we just chose to ignore him.

Only real downer for me was the Serenity area, but I knew that before we even boarded. Hopefully, they will correct that mess in the future. Bring a hardhat for those errant golf balls!!

I echo Jamman's comments EXACTLY. We have also cruised on Spirit and Miracle many times and the Legend also (only one missing is Pride, right Jamman? :rolleyes:) and were nervous about sailing on a "new ship" but we loved the Splendor and her crew and booked her again for next February! ;) Jamman, I will join the others in thanking you for sharing this cruise with us. Even tho you had bad weather when you embarked the ship, looks like you picked a great week otherwise! I just hope Kevin had a good summer and is not too envious looking thru your pictures! And I hope you have lots of photo frames for them and you will look back on them with good memories. Hope you can book another cruise soon! Come join us in February! We can meet up at sailaway for a Mudslide! :D

Speaking of Room Stewards, we had the same room steward wehad on our previous cruise (the Breeze in April). Kind of weird. He was great both times.

Speaking of Room Stewards, we had the same room steward wehad on our previous cruise (the Breeze in April). Kind of weird. He was great both times.

Oh, that IS weird. A stalking room steward! :eek: We were in the L shaped extended balcony cabin on deck 8, next to aft wrap, port side. We booked the same cabin on starboard side for our Feb. cruise. Our steward said he would come and check on us! :D:p

Thanks for taking us down memory lane Jeff!!! It was wonderful!

I also agree that the staff was absolutely wonderful! Konrad and I both work in hospitality so we understand how hard their job really is. If any of them had a bad day you would never know it! They truly take pride in their work and it shows!

Weezie was the name of the assistant cruise director. I could take or leave Malcolm...but Weezie drew me in! She just cracked me up! Herself and the rest of the entertainment staff were awesome!

Also, as FTTF, we also had Zone 1. In case anyone was wondering.

I haven't gotten a chance to go through my pics yet but if I have anything that you haven't covered I will share them!

Hope we can meet up again someday!

Oh, that IS weird. A stalking room steward! :eek: We were in the L shaped extended balcony cabin on deck 8, next to aft wrap, port side. We booked the same cabin on starboard side for our Feb. cruise. Our steward said he would come and check on us! :D:p

We have actually had it happen once before on consecutive cruises (although a longer duration betwen them). Boading the Liberty in Rome (actually not in Rome but I can't spell where the ship was) and walking to our room, we hear behind us "Mr Jim, Mr Jim it's me Booty, I will be your room stweard again!" It is pretty hard to forget a room steward with the name Booty. While we tip well, I really think he remembered me for leaving 3 bottles of booze in our cabin on the 1st crusie that he said he would take care of.:rolleyes:

We have actually had it happen once before on consecutive cruises (although a longer duration betwen them). Boading the Liberty in Rome (actually not in Rome but I can't spell where the ship was) and walking to our room, we hear behind us "Mr Jim, Mr Jim it's me Booty, I will be your room stweard again!" It is pretty hard to forget a room steward with the name Booty. While we tip well, I really think he remembered me for leaving 3 bottles of booze in our cabin on the 1st crusie that he said he would take care of.:rolleyes:

cool

Loved, loved, loved your review! We are sailing the Splendor on 9/14. It is our first Carnival cruise, and thanks to you, I feel like I've already sailed! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a detailed review!!

When's your next cruise. I'm already looking forward to your next report.

Not really sure when the next one will be. I've been unemployed for quite a while, so the cruise fund is just about dried up. Time to really get to looking. Will work for cruises!! :)

Not really sure when the next one will be. I've been unemployed for quite a while, so the cruise fund is just about dried up. Time to really get to looking. Will work for cruises!! :)

I just spit iced tea all over the monitor. Will work for cruises, very funny.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on my iPad

Thanks for taking us down memory lane Jeff!!! It was wonderful!

I also agree that the staff was absolutely wonderful! Konrad and I both work in hospitality so we understand how hard their job really is. If any of them had a bad day you would never know it! They truly take pride in their work and it shows!

Weezie was the name of the assistant cruise director. I could take or leave Malcolm...but Weezie drew me in! She just cracked me up! Herself and the rest of the entertainment staff were awesome!

Also, as FTTF, we also had Zone 1. In case anyone was wondering.

I haven't gotten a chance to go through my pics yet but if I have anything that you haven't covered I will share them!

Hope we can meet up again someday!

Thanks Angie!! It was a pleasure meeting you and Konrad. Hopefully we can all cruise together some time in the future!!

Loved, loved, loved your review! We are sailing the Splendor on 9/14. It is our first Carnival cruise, and thanks to you, I feel like I've already sailed! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a detailed review!!

You will love the Splendor. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Wonderful job! Thanks so very much for writing it!

I hope the fix it job will hold in the window , lol I thank you for taking the time to have them fix it! I can not wait to sit on that balcony! Thanks for all the pics :D

No problem getting the leak fixed. (I think). :) Check out my video of "your" cabin!!

Thanks for writing such a great review and the pictures were a bonus. I too looked forward to your daily posting. I feel like I was on the cruise with you and your family. The best part is I get to do it again in 2 weeks..Happy Cruising ;)

Thank You, and enjoy your cruise!!

Finally, thank you all who have been following along from the very beginning, and for your numerous positive thoughts and comments. The whole purpose was to take you along for the ride, provide some information, and maybe help you decide if you would like to sail on the Splendor, or visit the ports of call that we visited. I would like to think that we accomplished that. For those that are booked on the Splendor, you will have a GREAT time!! Be sure to stop back here after your cruise and tell us about it.

Again, thank you all very much, happy sails, and bon voyage!!!

Jeff “Jamman” Maskall

Such a awesome, detailed, and extremely informative review!! Thanks, loved following along and it helped us plan immensely!

We were on the Splendor for her last cruise to Hawaii in Jan. 2013. Loved the ship. Would sail on her again in a minute. We will be doing this cruise route for the first time out of Charleston in December. Great review, and after your review I can't wait. Loved all the pictures.:o

Patti completed her walk, then came back aboard ship to collect Ryan for their Segway tour. They bumped into our room stewards, so she finally got them together for a photo. Meet Anak and Supartha from Indonesia…..

A710.JPG

I walked Patti and Ryan off the ship and wished them a good time. I was going to take a walk over to Senor Frog’s for a little while. Once there, I bumped into a couple of roll call friends. The place was packed and really jumping!! Two yards of Goombay Smashes, and two shots of Te-kill-ya later, it was time to head back to the ship!!! Meanwhile Patti and Ryan had made it to their tour.

Ryan on his Segway….

A715.JPG

Patti on her Segway….

A719.JPG

The Carnival Splendor, Majesty of the Seas, and the Norwegian Sky docked in Nassau….

A724.JPG

Patti and Ryan with the port in the background….

A727.JPG

Patti snapped a few shots while they were riding…..

A728.JPG

To be continued……

Hi Jamman54. We had the same cabin on the first leg of the around the horn trip in February. We loved Supartha. Great to see a picture of him again. That cabin and balcony were fantastic. Thanks for the pictures and review. Brings back memories.