Keurig question?

I love my morning coffee and the coffee on board ship isn't to my liking.

Has anyone successfully brought a Keurig onto an RCL ship? I'm not talking about smuggling. I'm asking about being open about it.

The rules state no coffee makers may be brought on, but they also state no water or soda, and that guideline is not generally enforced. Since Keurigs don't have the same sort of burner heating element as other coffeemakers, I thought they might be an exception to the rule.

Tried a French Press last cruise, but it's just too much of a mess to clean up without an actual kitchen sink handy.

BTW, I know that some on these boards love the coffee in various places on the ship. We don't.

Certain electric appliances are considered a hazard and are not permitted for that reason. A bit different than water or soda which merely affect the bottom line.

Understood. My point was that rules are enforced unevenly.

Understood. My point was that rules are enforced unevenly.

Yes, and my point was that things that are prohibited for being a hazard will be removed a lot faster than something like water or soda. Witness the table full of irons as you exit the ship.

I have also pondered the Keurig smuggling but with it's 10lb weight and awkward size I can only imagine what the airlines would do to it lol

I have tried a few different methods for good coffee and like you the french press was just a coffee ground mess. So far my most successful has been:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-1-Cup-Brew-Cone-Black/21777801

Just pack the cone, filters and a lb of good coffee. I pre-scoop the coffee into ziploc baggie so I can just grab one and go in the morning when I get the hot water. Once it brews throw the filter w/coffee in the garbage and go on your merry caffeinated way :)

The other option i've tried is to pack coffee pods and brew them like a teabag in a travel mug... works ok but takes a while to 'steep'

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wolfgang-Puck-Breakfast-in-Bed-Medium-Roast-Single-Cup-Coffee-Pods-18-Count/21810313

I had a 3 way electrical adapter in my carry on that they took away from me. I had to claim it at securtiy at the FLL port at the end of my cruise.

I forgot there was already one built in on the vanity in my Allure cabin.

On all of my past cruises I had brought this item on with me without any problems.

Allure really is a state of the art ship!

There was a previous thread on this a while back. They are not permited. Being a Keurig junkie ourselves since the machines were first introduced, you certainly miss the quality, variety and convenience in your room but the coffee onboard has been pretty good from our experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I have also pondered the Keurig smuggling but with it's 10lb weight and awkward size I can only imagine what the airlines would do to it lol

I have tried a few different methods for good coffee and like you the french press was just a coffee ground mess. So far my most successful has been:

Just pack the cone, filters and a lb of good coffee. I pre-scoop the coffee into ziploc baggie so I can just grab one and go in the morning when I get the hot water. Once it brews throw the filter w/coffee in the garbage and go on your merry caffeinated way :)

The other option i've tried is to pack coffee pods and brew them like a teabag in a travel mug... works ok but takes a while to 'steep'

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wolfgang-Puck-Breakfast-in-Bed-Medium-Roast-Single-Cup-Coffee-Pods-18-Count/21810313

Thanks, Beth. I appreciate the advice and may give the Melitta a whirl. Of course, I'd still be making the coffee using ship's water rather than bottled water. :confused:

My original question was not whether people thought I should bring aboard a Keurig, but rather if any had actually done so.

Thanks for your response, Mein18. I did a thread search before this posting but couldn't find out what the real-world experience of previous cruisers had been.

Has anyone successfully brought a Keurig onto an RCL ship?

The rules state no coffee makers may be brought on, but they also state no water or soda, and that guideline is not generally enforced. Since Keurigs don't have the same sort of burner heating element as other coffeemakers, I thought they might be an exception to the rule.

not just the heating element that is the problem.. its the cord and amount of electricity it draws.

no a Keurig is not allowed, not even the single cup maker.

Thanks, Beth. I appreciate the advice and may give the Melitta a whirl. Of course, I'd still be making the coffee using ship's water rather than bottled water. :confused:

My original question was not whether people thought I should bring aboard a Keurig, but rather if any had actually done so.

Thanks for your response, Mein18. I did a thread search before this posting but couldn't find out what the real-world experience of previous cruisers had been.

When I have seen the table of items to be claimed (that were confiscated at boarding), I have seen coffeemakers.

So they do, indeed, confiscate them.

Buy one of those little water warmers. Jist a metal piece on end of a cord. Take your own bottled water onboard which they now allow. Heat that up and use the Melita. We do not like the brand of bottled water they have on the ship. Like I had said, contrary to what many post, the coffe they have onboard isnt bad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We have used these on every cruise. It works great, and it's pretty convenient.

Just break down and buy a decent cup of coffee.

Not fond of Seattle's Best. I don't find it decent at all.

I like the idea of bringing the filter cone. We use it at home. We will be in a JS next cruise and since there is a kettle, that will be perfect. I think I will leave the French press home.

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, and my point was that things that are prohibited for being a hazard will be removed a lot faster than something like water or soda. Witness the table full of irons as you exit the ship.

Hoping to find this today! Thanks for the tip!!!!

Question: will I be able to get hot, hot water from room service --that had been my plan with the french press, or is there somewhere else to get hot water early in the morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Question: will I be able to get hot, hot water from room service --that had been my plan with the french press, or is there somewhere else to get hot water early in the morning?

Hot as in Boiling from Room service? no. Hot enough to make a semi decent cup of tea or Hot choccie? yes. coffee temp is in the eye of the beholder. It's fine for me, DH would rather it be warmer. I believe the self serve dispenser by the Buffet will produce just plain hot water and it will be coffee temp warm.

also if you have access to either Concierge lounge the specialty coffee machine will dispense close to boiling water as well.

Thanks! I would prefer close to boiling :) but I didn't think that was possible.

As a side note, I meant to quote the post with the filter cup. Not sure how I happened to quote the wrong one. I guess I want paying close enough attention.

We used the room service carafe of hot water for our french press, and it was much hotter than I anticipated! It helps to "pre heat" the coffee maker with hot tap water while you await room service delivery.

Teddie

Archived