YAY I'm so excited and I haven't even booked yet! New Cruiser Alert!!!

JusGetinStarted

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am totally excited and confused at the same time and Guess what I haven't even booked my cruise yet! I am just waiting on Monday for when my TA gets back in the office so she can book My boyfriend and I first ever cruise. The Second thing is Guess What our cruise isn't until NEXT YEAR (October 2014 to be exact). How will I ever contain myself? We plan on booking a balcony room on the RCCL Oasis of the Seas for a Western Caribbean cruise.

I am confused about everything that is dealing with this cruise stuff. It seems complicated but I'm sure I'm just over thinking it. I am confused about the dining should I be choosing my time dining or traditional dining? I am confused on picking a deck on the ship, Does it matter? I was told tips can be paid in advance but then I see others saying we should be tipping extra (confused:confused:) Originally, We were looking at a Carnival cruise and on their forums people said to bring a surge protector... I haven't seen anyone say that about RCCL. What are some things I can do to keep me contained for a year. I know I will be on these boards everyday for a year...I am obsessed with finding out info.

Thank You in advance for dealing with me :p:D

Elaine

Dining....if you enjoy others at dinner, pick one of the traditional seatings with a larger table. If you like to dine alone, choose MTD. The food, dress code and ambiance is the same, regardless! We LOVE tablemates! It makes dinner fun!

We pick a deck closest to where we'll spend our DAYTIME hours, as you tend to run back and forth to the cabin during the day. It makes it easier if you can take a flight of stairs, rather than elevators. Have the deck plans in front of you when booking! Side of the ship doesn't matter.

If you pay your tips according to the cruiseline's guidelines, there is NO NEED to tip additionally. Some folks do, if they get exemplary service. It's certainly not required.

We've never needed power strips or surge protectors......most things can be plugged and unplugged as needed.

Start reading guidebooks on your ports! Having a bit of info on where you're going will enhance your time ashore!

Pack as if it were a land vacation and for the expected weather...there is nothing "special" you need to pack for a cruise.

I will warn you now it is addicting!! LOL I think the planning is just as much fun as the cruise. The number one thing to remember is have patience and don't expect anyone to make your cruise for you. You have to just roll with the punches and have fun!! You have plenty of time to learn all the in's and out's. Enjoy all of it. Congrats!!

Your Travel Agent will be delighted to share everything you need to know and more, about your upcoming cruise. Depends on what your expectations are, as to what kind of dining you might prefer.....and, your Budget. There are a couple of *included* dining options and others are for *extra fees*.

There are many extras you can opt for and add to your basic cruise. I would keep things simple, for the first cruise.

You need a budget for your bar bill, ship-sponsored photographs, tips (usually a set fee, added daily -or- you can pre-pay prior to final payment). Trip Insurance (the medical facility is available but real charges apply and you do have to pay) You can't be sure you won't have a reason to go to sick bay.

You've figured out the date and the ship - now to determined the Budget. That will guide the cabin to book, leaving money for the extras and options.

Bon Voyage. May you enjoy the sea always and all ways.

Totally agree with Wally! Only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

You will not be able to contain the excitement, so just roll with it. Read the boards for your ship's roll call and the different port boards to learn what others have said/done.

Welcome to CC, also! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

My last cruise and my upcoming cruise were both booked over a year in advance. I really enjoy the planning and anticipation. One of my favorite things to do is watch YouTube videos about my ship. Oasis has dozens of them. You might want to watch this episode from the Smithsonian Channel.

If you enjoy fashion, come over and visit us on the Cruise Fashion and Beauty forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Enjoy your cruise!

My first piece of advice is to book your travel to your embarkation port (where you'll start your cruise) to arrive at least a day ahead. You'll have plenty of time to book your flight (probably can't this far ahead), but if you keep a calendar of things to do for your cruise, definitely flag a date to start searching for flights and note down a date to fly that's before your sailing date. Too many things can go wrong -- mechanically, labor, cancelled flights, weather... You'll get to your port city with plenty of time and can relax. You can even get in a shopping trip if needed.

Second piece of advice, read up on your cruise line, ship, etc., on the cruiseline's website. You'll find out what you can or can't pack, what eateries have an additional cost or are included in your fare, lots of great info. Sometimes a travel agent isn't knowledgeable about all cruiselines or even about going on a cruise.

As for flexible or fixed dining, some people like one or another, some don't care. My hubby and I had the flexible type a couple of cruises ago and decided we really disliked it and couldn't wait to go back to late traditional on our next cruise.

As for tips, the RC website will tell you what's expected on their cruiseline. Our last four or so cruises have been since autotips have started on Princess, and I find it more convenient to have the tip put on our account for that day. At the end of the cruise, we'll decide who to reward with an extra tip. Some people will give a tip to their cabin steward on the first day, but we don't do that -- to me, it's like a bribe. Some people will go to the front desk and ask to have their tips removed, and IMO that's being a skunk as well as terribly cheap. If you find the service less than satisfactory, go to the front desk and tell them. A supervisor can often get things fixed so that you'll be happy.

I will google each port and read up on it. Lots of great info that way. Also there's many guide books (eg Frommers, Fodors, etc).

Welcome to Cruis Critic!

You have until next October to ask as many questions as you can think of. Both your teavel agent and the good folks on this board want to help. And you already have the right attitude so stay excited and ask away.

Planning is a lot of fun, isn't it! You will get some great advice and as others have said, don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all newbies once and had a lot of the same questions. Be sure to check out each of your ports on the ports-of-call board.

If you are planning excursions, as a new cruiser you might want to stick with official ship excursions. They are often more expensive than private excursions, but they're usually pretty well-tested, and if they are late getting back, the ship will wait.

OTOH, private excursions or just wandering around on your own can be a great way to see an island/port, and often much more cheaply than on a ship's excursion. But the ship won't wait if you are delayed for some reason. The ports-of-call boards are great places to find out what to see/do (and not see/do) in each port.

But whatever you do in port, BE SURE that your watch is set to SHIP'S TIME, not port time...they are often the same, but not always, and your cell phone etc. will automatically reset to port time if it picks up a signal from a cell tower on shore. And be sure to know when "last aboard" time is...it is NOT the departure time listed on the itinerary. E.g. if departure time is 5 p.m., last aboard time will be something like 4:30 p.m. Don't be that person sprinting down the pier while people laugh at and heckle you, or worse, while the ship sails without you! And take a copy of the ship's newsletter/port info sheet (delivered to your cabin each day) with you in each port, it should have the port agent contact info on it. You probably won't need it, but good to have it anyway.

Re dining times: if you like to watch sunsets, or be on the deck as the ship leaves port, be sure to research those clock times with regard to dining times. Often the early dinner seating (and remember, you will need to be in your cabin for some time before dinner, getting ready) is over the same time period as port departure time and/or the sunset. I personally am a big fan of sunset on deck so I never book early seating for dinner.

Second the advice to get to the departure port a day early. You just never know what might happen and you don't want to miss the ship!

Find your exact cruise (the ship and sailing date) on these boards. Then ask fellow cruisers on the same cruise some question. They will have a meet and greet set up already ( meet and greet is a time for cruise critic members to meet each other at the start of the cruise). Most of the time these people will have most of the information you will need. Welcome aboard abnd have a great cruise. ;)

hello and welcome to cruising. you have gotten wonderful help already that will of great use too you.

I will chime in and say you do not have to spend a fortune on new clothes for a cruise. if your items in the closet are clean and not tattered they will be just fine for your cruise. also very broke in shoes are a must. sundresses can cover-up a bathing suit and also be worn for eating at the mdr or buffett. a nice outfit you would wear to church or a wedding is very exceptable. of course getting all decked out is up to you as well. I think the number one mistake first time cruisers make it taking way to many clothes and shoes. it can be done in a medium size bag for the whole week.

also I try to get a cabin that is in-between other cabin decks. they are much more quiet and being in the middle of the ship is better for warding off seasickness. I totally agree that you should have the cruiseline deck plans up so you can see where the cabin is you choose.

it is all so exciting and you will have a million questions that we will be glad to help you with. the roll-call and ship threads, as mentioned, will be very informative and helpful to you. have fun in the next year and do as I do--tell myself I have so many holidays to get through before I set sail and check them off. before I know it I am on the ship. it helps pass the time. have a wonderful first cruise. :)

Planning is a lot of fun, isn't it! You will get some great advice and as others have said, don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all newbies once and had a lot of the same questions. Be sure to check out each of your ports on the ports-of-call board.

If you are planning excursions, as a new cruiser you might want to stick with official ship excursions. They are often more expensive than private excursions, but they're usually pretty well-tested, and if they are late getting back, the ship will wait.

OTOH, private excursions or just wandering around on your own can be a great way to see an island/port, and often much more cheaply than on a ship's excursion. But the ship won't wait if you are delayed for some reason. The ports-of-call boards are great places to find out what to see/do (and not see/do) in each port.

But whatever you do in port, BE SURE that your watch is set to SHIP'S TIME, not port time...they are often the same, but not always, and your cell phone etc. will automatically reset to port time if it picks up a signal from a cell tower on shore. And be sure to know when "last aboard" time is...it is NOT the departure time listed on the itinerary. E.g. if departure time is 5 p.m., last aboard time will be something like 4:30 p.m. Don't be that person sprinting down the pier while people laugh at and heckle you, or worse, while the ship sails without you! And take a copy of the ship's newsletter/port info sheet (delivered to your cabin each day) with you in each port, it should have the port agent contact info on it. You probably won't need it, but good to have it anyway.

Re dining times: if you like to watch sunsets, or be on the deck as the ship leaves port, be sure to research those clock times with regard to dining times. Often the early dinner seating (and remember, you will need to be in your cabin for some time before dinner, getting ready) is over the same time period as port departure time and/or the sunset. I personally am a big fan of sunset on deck so I never book early seating for dinner.

Second the advice to get to the departure port a day early. You just never know what might happen and you don't want to miss the ship!

Thank you so much ... this is great advice I need. I will definitely take my watch and make sure it is set to the Ship's time.. I definitely don't want to panic about getting back to the boat on time. I want everything to be stress free.

We do also plan on arriving a day earlier that way I can feel comfortable about being on time for the boat. I know I will already be nervous just because its a new adventure so don't want to be hollering at the airlines either. lol

hello and welcome to cruising. you have gotten wonderful help already that will of great use too you.

I will chime in and say you do not have to spend a fortune on new clothes for a cruise. if your items in the closet are clean and not tattered they will be just fine for your cruise. also very broke in shoes are a must. sundresses can cover-up a bathing suit and also be worn for eating at the mdr or buffett. a nice outfit you would wear to church or a wedding is very exceptable. of course getting all decked out is up to you as well. I think the number one mistake first time cruisers make it taking way to many clothes and shoes. it can be done in a medium size bag for the whole week.

also I try to get a cabin that is in-between other cabin decks. they are much more quiet and being in the middle of the ship is better for warding off seasickness. I totally agree that you should have the cruiseline deck plans up so you can see where the cabin is you choose.

it is all so exciting and you will have a million questions that we will be glad to help you with. the roll-call and ship threads, as mentioned, will be very informative and helpful to you. have fun in the next year and do as I do--tell myself I have so many holidays to get through before I set sail and check them off. before I know it I am on the ship. it helps pass the time. have a wonderful first cruise. :)

Thank you for the Advice I am definitely an overpacker. I am the one sweating bullets at the airline ticket gate hoping that my bag is under 50lbs. But I am determine to bring all light clothes or sundresses. I will probably be swimming most of the time anyway so I must start telling myself now that I don't need all of those clothes or shoes lol.

Thank you for the Advice I am definitely an overpacker. I am the one sweating bullets at the airline ticket gate hoping that my bag is under 50lbs. But I am determine to bring all light clothes or sundresses. I will probably be swimming most of the time anyway so I must start telling myself now that I don't need all of those clothes or shoes lol.

it is so easy to wear the same thing twice. you normally stay clean and no-one notices what you wear. a couple suits would be best so you can wear one while the other one is still damp. on my cruises to Alaska I wear my tennis shoes and take a pair of flats for dinner. that is it for my shoes. have fun planning. :)

Welcome, newbie! I love to see the happy expectant jitters showing on the uninitiated!:) Ditto on the "light packing" thing. You can find several truisms on these boards--the first and foremost is "take twice (or more) the money and half the clothes". Next, another nod to the Roll Call section--look up RCCI and select your ship's name/sail date, then start talking! Check out the Ports of Call for advice on your cruise itinerary's local must-see's and must-do's, as well as shopping/souvenir/local cuisine recommendations. Make sure you have your passport and paperwork nailed down long before the due date looms. When you get to your ports, please, please, PLEASE go ashore and have an experience of your own, for good or bad. Try new things, new foods (take a second bite/sip just to make sure your tastebuds didn't exaggerate). Talk to people, on and off the ship. Most of all, ENJOY!!!!:D

Archived