$1,200 Credit, What Would You Do?

I have a $1,200 credit to use for a cruise or airfare. I live in the northeast and it would be 2 or maybe 3 passengers if we decide to take our son. What cruise or cabin would you book? I would be willing to spend an additional $2,000. Just curious, and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Depending on when you want to travel, you could get an oceanview cabin for two adults and one child on most of the RCL Caribbean routes (except for Oasis and Allure), or even an E2 balcony (or balcony guarantee) on some routes.

Just did a quick check on Freedom of the Seas mid September eastern Caribbean, and a balcony guarantee for three is ~$2400.

I have a $1,200 credit to use for a cruise or airfare. I live in the northeast and it would be 2 or maybe 3 passengers if we decide to take our son. What cruise or cabin would you book? I would be willing to spend an additional $2,000. Just curious, and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Driving distance to Bayonne? If so i'd use the $1200 for a hefty down payment on Quantum next year. If you "need" to go sooner - use it on EX.

Depending on when you're looking at going as well. For $3200 you could easily get on Oasis/Allure for a week over the next month or so-

Using EWR as your 'north east' point you could go on the Sept 14 week Oasis for

air - $500 return for 2

Oasis - $2000 for GTY oceanview balcony

And still have $700 to spend!!

Great that you have a $1,200.

But you pose a silly question. Only you know how to spend your money.

The reason I ask is that I am relatively new to cruising and was curious what the average expert cruiser would spend the money on. For example, do I spend it on airfare to do a Mediterranean cruise or do I try and subsidize my entire cruise and leave from Bayonne or Baltimore? Do I max out on the number of days in an interior cabin or less days in a balcony? I know everyone is different, just looking for opinions from others as I have nowhere to start and would be curious what an expert would spend the money on. Quantum sounds cool but I don't think I would want to pay a premium for a new ship just because it is new.

I would book a balcony cabin just so you and your wife would have some space for yourselves. Don't know the age of your son but if he is young you will need the balcony to spend you evenings after he is in bed. I would use Bayonne or Baltimore as my home port and use the additional money for a longer cruise or for on board expenses. What ever you decide have an awesome time.

$3000 (give or take) may get you to Europe but you're not going to stay long and definitely no cruise. Stay close to home, get a cabin that is priced so that you can have money left for a specialty dinner, cocktails(if you drink), excursions... Just paying for a cabin is just the start of your cruise expenses.

Quantum is not a whole lot more expensive than Explorer. The staterooms are about 10% larger and the cruise fare is about 20% more (comparing D1 to D1 on a 10 night January cruise).

If you have never cruised before, the Explorer of the Seas would be a very good place to start. If you want something shiny and newer with innovative technology, Quantum would be my preference.

Everyone has their preferences. Do you want a relaxing, warm weather cruise? There's the Caribbean. Do you want to see Europe? There's the Med and Northern Europe, Scandinavia and Russia. Do you want to see great wildlife and scenery? There's Alaska.

The best bang for the buck is an inside cabin. But, there are those who won't sail in less than a suite, at many times the cost.

A lot of the fun in a cruise is the planning. Have fun deciding!

I have a deal for you being from the northeast. October 27 2013, 13 day cruise out of Boston, Massachusetts; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba; Tampa, Florida. Then we fly back From Tampa. I say we because I am sure you will bring me with you for the great idea. Price starts at 724.00. what a deal. Beat that!

I would take Tomahawk's deal!

Forget the Med or the Quantum- you're not ready for that.

If you can drive to the port, do so, it will save a lot of money. Grandeur of the Seas is currently sailing out of Baltimore at great prices, if you can get that far. Not the most exciting ports, Bahamas, etc, but, since you haven't been before, it is all good to you. They also stop at Port Canaveral, you can go to Disney or Universal, depending on your son's age.

If you're looking to go soon, go now. The fall is inexpensive because it is (dramatic music) hurricane season and because the kids are back in school. Do not go at Christmas or New Years, they are extremely expensive.

There are very good deals to be had right now if you can go on quick notice. . If you can get a balcony at a good price, do it. Otherwise, an inside is fine. You will not be spending much time in there, anyway.

If you tell us more info, we can help you more. Where exactly do you live, how far are you willing to drive? How old is your son? When are you thinking about sailing?

I looked at your previous posts and see that you are looking at the Grandeur. I am on her December 6th for an 8 night cruise. You can do an Oceanview room for the same price as an interior. I put your son in as 6 years old. Price for all three including taxes is 1921. The ship will be decorated for Christmas, it it a really nice ship, not too big so you don't get overwhelmed. Join us!!

s.gif

Tomahawk's deal or Maareencruiser's idea are both great(I am doing the Roll Call for the Dec 6th cruise). The repositioning cruise is a great way to see a lot of nice ports and you only have to fly home from Tampa. You will have to figure out a way to get to Boston to board ship or to get back to port to get your car after the cruise. Maybe the train would work for you? Now, for the Dec cruise, a drive to Baltimore and park the car, walk onto the ship and ENJOY a week with us!!!! While it is true that Christmas and NYs are expensive that cruise is currently priced very good! And for me very personal opinion...I would do whatever was the best deal (since this is your first cruise you don't want to be overwhelmed), and use the rest of the money for either fun excursions or a nice speciality meal on ship while your son is in Adventure Ocean for the evening or maybe a couples massage. No matter what you decide, have a great time!!!!

The obvious choice to start will be the Caribbean.

We are close to NY but have to fly to Florida to cruise on the best ships.

As a beginner you must look at the best ships, no compromises!

The best option are HAL Eurodam or Niew Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) or RCI Allure of the Seas (Eastern or Western).

HAL ships - classy, comfortable, maximum personal space, best sea traditions, best itinerary, best food.

Allure - amazing size and entertainment options onboard - a must see ship.

A balcony cabin is recommended for first timers.

If you want to save - inside cabin.

Never ocean view, inside balconies on the Allure - waste of money.

HAL cabins will cost you less.

"Hydropool and Thermal Suite" on HAL ships is a paradise-like experience. It's extra - about $140 pp.

We did both (HAL and Allure) in one back-to-back cruise.

That was the best cruise vacation ever.

:):)

I have a deal for you being from the northeast. October 27 2013, 13 day cruise out of Boston, Massachusetts; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba; Tampa, Florida. Then we fly back From Tampa. I say we because I am sure you will bring me with you for the great idea. Price starts at 724.00. what a deal. Beat that!

As an avid cruiser I agree that is a great deal out of Boston. If that doesn't appeal to you and I can't imagine why unless the dates are no good. If so look up the Explorer there are some great deals on it. Donna

:):)

As an avid cruiser I agree that is a great deal out of Boston. If that doesn't appeal to you and I can't imagine why unless the dates are no good. If so look up the Explorer there are some great deals on it. Donna

The dates are not good for me, if the dates worked for me I would walk to the port.

Archived