Princess excursions in South America (Chile)

KarateMan

Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if Princess still has shore excursions to Torres Del Paine National Park from Punta Arenas, Chile? I am booked on Golden Princess next march and excursions are available but this one is not showing despite the Princess website stating it is an option. I am guessing it is too early for this excursion to be showing.

Cost is not a prohibitive option for me to doing excursions like this and I prefer to spend my money with Princess and have the security of having the ship wait for me if I choose their excursions.

I did this tour several years ago with HAL. It is a long way to Torres Del Paine NP. We went by coach to the airport where two small planes waited, we then flew for about an hour and a half, then into another bus for a fairly long drive. The whole trip took around 12 hours or a bit more. I remember we got back to the ship at 8.30pm when it was due to leave around 6pm. They did wait. :)

We cruised around South America this year on the Grand Princess and I cannot recall the Torres Del Paine NP tour being offered (although it might have been).

Princess had a day trip to Antarctica (people raved about it) and another one to Machu Picchu. The latter one was away for a couple of nights, but it was very rushed compared with a land tour I did a year or two ago.

Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if Princess still has shore excursions to Torres Del Paine National Park from Punta Arenas, Chile? I am booked on Golden Princess next march and excursions are available but this one is not showing despite the Princess website stating it is an option. I am guessing it is too early for this excursion to be showing.

Cost is not a prohibitive option for me to doing excursions like this and I prefer to spend my money with Princess and have the security of having the ship wait for me if I choose their excursions.

On our South American cruise earlier this year, I was only aware of one group left behind by the ship, and they were on a Princess tour. They went to the Galapagos and had plane problems. Re-joined us a few days later.

On our South American cruise earlier this year, I was only aware of one group left behind by the ship, and they were on a Princess tour. They went to the Galapagos and had plane problems. Re-joined us a few days later.

One of the people on that trip was upset, claiming that the captain only had to wait a few more hours for them. :) I'm sure there was a good reason why the ship couldn't wait. They had a long round-about journey, staying in five star hotels until they caught up with the ship.

Another thread has a poster saying the flight to Antarctica excursion is also not listed for their cruise.

I wonder if Princess has stopped offering the excursions that involve flights elsewhere for one reason or another.

• 3 weeks later...
Another thread has a poster saying the flight to Antarctica excursion is also not listed for their cruise.

I wonder if Princess has stopped offering the excursions that involve flights elsewhere for one reason or another.

I see an Antarctica excursion for $2,999 and a Paine National Park excursion for $919 showing on the 01/17/15 Andes and Straight of Magellan cruise from Punta Arenas. To have time for the Antarctica excursion you need to be in port for at least 13 hours and only the four Andes and Straight of Magellan cruises are in Punta Arenas that long.

We were on a cruise on the Star that did not have the stop on Chacabuco, Chile and a 4 day/3 night excursion was offered to Patagonia and the National Park from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt. High winds delayed our departure from Ushuaia by over 6 hours and the next day's stop in Punta Arenas was canceled along with the tours. If you are on a cruise in SA you must expect the unexpected.

I see an Antarctica excursion for $2,999 and a Paine National Park excursion for $919 showing on the 01/17/15 Andes and Straight of Magellan cruise from Punta Arenas. To have time for the Antarctica excursion you need to be in port for at least 13 hours and only the four Andes and Straight of Magellan cruises are in Punta Arenas that long.

Hmmm, not sure what is going on here, but my cruise departing on Jan. 18, 2014 is in Punta Arenas on Jan. 23 for 13 hours, it is titled a "Cape Horn and Straits of Magellan" cruise, and there is definitely no excursion to Antartica or Torres Del Paine on the list of actual excursions bookable in the personalizer. (Both are still listed on the general list of excursion by port on the main Princess pages). The Torres Del Paine excursion is noted in the "Points of Interest" section at the top and listed as #8, but no actual excursion in the detailed listing goes there. The Antartica excursion is not even listed as a point of interest.

I am glad to hear that the cruise in 2015 does have this excursion still listed in the excursion page, but it is definitely not available on the one in 2014. At one point in time, we had the same listing on the 2014 cruise, but when the excursion bookings opened, it had been removed. I wonder if the same will happen to the 2015 cruise, or if there is just a cancellation for the 2014 season.

Further to the above, none of the other "Straits of Magellan" cruises in 2014 have these excursions either; Feb 15, Feb. 1, March 1. The latter two are only in port for 12 hours, the former for 13, but none have these excursions listed.

Edited by cherylandtk

Hmmm, not sure what is going on here, but my cruise departing on Jan. 18, 2014 is in Punta Arenas on Jan. 23 for 13 hours, it is titled a "Cape Horn and Straits of Magellan" cruise, and there is definitely no excursion to Antartica or Torres Del Paine on the list of actual excursions bookable in the personalizer. (Both are still listed on the general list of excursion by port on the main Princess pages). The Torres Del Paine excursion is noted in the "Points of Interest" section at the top and listed as #8, but no actual excursion in the detailed listing goes there. The Antartica excursion is not even listed as a point of interest.

I am glad to hear that the cruise in 2015 does have this excursion still listed in the excursion page, but it is definitely not available on the one in 2014. At one point in time, we had the same listing on the 2014 cruise, but when the excursion bookings opened, it had been removed. I wonder if the same will happen to the 2015 cruise, or if there is just a cancellation for the 2014 season.

Further to the above, none of the other "Straits of Magellan" cruises in 2014 have these excursions either; Feb 15, Feb. 1, March 1. The latter two are only in port for 12 hours, the former for 13, but none have these excursions listed.

The excursions have showed as potential but may not actually be offered. We are seriously considering going to Machu Picchu on the 2015 Valparaiso to LA cruise and will investigate private tours with our TA as an option if Princess does not actually offer the excursion as advertised on the 2014-2015 Cruise Atlas.

The opportunity to go to Antarctica was one of the reasons my wife and I booked our SoM cruise for next February (it was listed as a possible excursion at the time we booked, but as you've pointed out, its not currently available on the personalizer). There's still time, and if anyone who's taken it (or the Torres excursion) could chime in as to when, if ever, it became available (ie how may days out), that would be helpful.

If its not offered, its certainly not a deal breaker, and I get that things are fluid and contracts can't always be worked out, but I get a bit of a bait n switch feeling seeing it offered initially for the 2014 voyages when we booked, not having it show up on the personalizer (yet), but showing it again as a possibility for 2015.

We were on a cruise on the Star that did not have the stop on Chacabuco, Chile and a 4 day/3 night excursion was offered to Patagonia and the National Park from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt. High winds delayed our departure from Ushuaia by over 6 hours and the next day's stop in Punta Arenas was canceled along with the tours. If you are on a cruise in SA you must expect the unexpected.

Our cruise (Star Princess 2/25/13) was scheduled to be in Punta Arenas from 7 to 7 (12 hours). Both the Antarctica and Paine National Park excursions were offered--and both went.

The opportunity to go to Antarctica was one of the reasons my wife and I booked our SoM cruise for next February (it was listed as a possible excursion at the time we booked, but as you've pointed out, its not currently available on the personalizer). There's still time, and if anyone who's taken it (or the Torres excursion) could chime in as to when, if ever, it became available (ie how may days out), that would be helpful.

If its not offered, its certainly not a deal breaker, and I get that things are fluid and contracts can't always be worked out, but I get a bit of a bait n switch feeling seeing it offered initially for the 2014 voyages when we booked, not having it show up on the personalizer (yet), but showing it again as a possibility for 2015.

For our cruise, the Antarctica excursion showed up on cruise personalizer about mid-June (2012)--for a 2/25/13 cruise.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The excursions have showed as potential but may not actually be offered. We are seriously considering going to Machu Picchu on the 2015 Valparaiso to LA cruise and will investigate private tours with our TA as an option if Princess does not actually offer the excursion as advertised on the 2014-2015 Cruise Atlas.

If you decide to do Macchu Piccu privately we can so much recommend patagoniashorex dot com Jamie is fantastic see trip advisor

My 2 cents. If antarctica is on your list, you are better to take the HAL ship that goes there. You will miss much of your cruise doing the excursion to get there.

In January, 2014 the Princess excursion is 10 hours out of Punta Arenas for a mere $2999 pp. So, it's all in one port stop. Here is the tour description:

Your full-day tour begins as you board your chartered plane for the approximately 2.5-hour flight to Villa Las Estrellas, a Chilean Antarctic settlement. After take-off, you'll enjoy a light continental breakfast and a welcome glass of champagne or juice.

Antarctica is the Earth's southernmost continent, encapsulating the South Pole. It's the fifth-largest continent in area after Asia, Africa, North America, and South America. About 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice that averages at least 1.0 miles in thickness. Its mountains cover such a significant area that it makes it on average the highest of the seven continents. In addition, it is also the windiest, coldest and less populated area on the planet.

Upon arriving in Antarctica, you'll tour the research center, one of the continent's oldest and most important meteorological stations. Weather permitting embark on a zodiac to Ardley Island, a marine protected area where Papua Penguin colonies live. During your trip, you'll enjoy energy bars, water, juice and chocolate.

Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, you may catch sight of the Chinstrap penguin, recognized by the narrow band of black feathers that extends from ear to ear, just below the chin and the cheeks. Perhaps you'll see the Gentoo penguin that sports a wide white stripe extending like a bonnet across the top of its head, or the waddling Adelie penguin with its signature white "tuxedo shirt" front. You may even see a killer (orca) whale or baleen whale with its pair of blowholes.

After a fascinating four hours at Villa Las Estrellas, you'll board your plane for a relaxing return flight to Punta Arenas. On board, you'll enjoy cold crab salad, roast beef and broccoli, wine or soft drinks, and cake and coffee, as well as savor memories of a fantastic day of exploration.

As much as I want to see Antartica, I think an additional cruise that stops in Antartica sounds like a good deal!

In January, 2014 the Princess excursion is 10 hours out of Punta Arenas for a mere $2999 pp. So, it's all in one port stop. Here is the tour description:

Your full-day tour begins as you board your chartered plane for the approximately 2.5-hour flight to Villa Las Estrellas, a Chilean Antarctic settlement. After take-off, you'll enjoy a light continental breakfast and a welcome glass of champagne or juice.

Antarctica is the Earth's southernmost continent, encapsulating the South Pole. It's the fifth-largest continent in area after Asia, Africa, North America, and South America. About 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice that averages at least 1.0 miles in thickness. Its mountains cover such a significant area that it makes it on average the highest of the seven continents. In addition, it is also the windiest, coldest and less populated area on the planet.

Upon arriving in Antarctica, you'll tour the research center, one of the continent's oldest and most important meteorological stations. Weather permitting embark on a zodiac to Ardley Island, a marine protected area where Papua Penguin colonies live. During your trip, you'll enjoy energy bars, water, juice and chocolate.

Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, you may catch sight of the Chinstrap penguin, recognized by the narrow band of black feathers that extends from ear to ear, just below the chin and the cheeks. Perhaps you'll see the Gentoo penguin that sports a wide white stripe extending like a bonnet across the top of its head, or the waddling Adelie penguin with its signature white "tuxedo shirt" front. You may even see a killer (orca) whale or baleen whale with its pair of blowholes.

After a fascinating four hours at Villa Las Estrellas, you'll board your plane for a relaxing return flight to Punta Arenas. On board, you'll enjoy cold crab salad, roast beef and broccoli, wine or soft drinks, and cake and coffee, as well as savor memories of a fantastic day of exploration.

As much as I want to see Antartica, I think an additional cruise that stops in Antartica sounds like a good deal!

I stand corrected. Although Punta Arenas is a special place to visit, it is typically bitterly cold and VERY windy...much like Antarctica. 2999pp is more than this cruise typically costs for a balcony. I'm just saying, im my opinion id rather take the longer HAL voyage that goes to Antarctica rather than be stuffed in a plane for 5 hrs only to be on the continent for an hour or two max? And it wouldn't be 6k more expensive than this voyage, but to each their own, not everyone can or wants to take a 21 day voyage but still wants to see antarctica. I personally loved the voyage around the horn and really enjoyed the anticipation of watching the horn come into view from several miles out. I also purchased a cruise map of the area and had a book about the explorers and natives of the area; it really enriched the voyage immensely.

I stand corrected. Although Punta Arenas is a special place to visit, it is typically bitterly cold and VERY windy...much like Antarctica. 2999pp is more than this cruise typically costs for a balcony. I'm just saying, im my opinion id rather take the longer HAL voyage that goes to Antarctica rather than be stuffed in a plane for 5 hrs only to be on the continent for an hour or two max? And it wouldn't be 6k more expensive than this voyage, but to each their own, not everyone can or wants to take a 21 day voyage but still wants to see antarctica. I personally loved the voyage around the horn and really enjoyed the anticipation of watching the horn come into view from several miles out. I also purchased a cruise map of the area and had a book about the explorers and natives of the area; it really enriched the voyage immensely.

I do agree with you. I just can't justify (but I did consider it) $6000 for a ten hour tour for DH and myself and 5 of those hours are on a plane! But, if it's on the bucket list, one will try to cross it off in the most efficient way possible for them ;o)

I did the Princess excursion to Antarctica in 2004. The visit to Villa Las Estrellas was quite interesting and educational, and I really enjoyed talking with the men stationed there, but an added attraction that is not mentioned is a nearby Russian weather station. To me, the main attraction was the simple fact that I was walking around on the 7th continent, something that was always high on my list. We spent four hours at the site and it seemed to be enough. After seeing the Penguins, getting the passport stamped, taking the requisite pictures of the mileage signs, icebergs, etc., there is not a lot to do. The five hours spent on the plane was not as bad as one might think. It flew slowly enough and low enough that one could see clearly all the amazing sights over the Drake Passage, fantastic glaciers, lakes, mountains - the flight is an important part of the trip and the food was not too bad. One huge difference between today's excursions and mine is the price - I paid $1499.

I stand corrected. Although Punta Arenas is a special place to visit, it is typically bitterly cold and VERY windy...much like Antarctica. 2999pp is more than this cruise typically costs for a balcony. I'm just saying, im my opinion id rather take the longer HAL voyage that goes to Antarctica rather than be stuffed in a plane for 5 hrs only to be on the continent for an hour or two max?

Does the HAL voyage allow you to actually step onto the continent as the Princess tour does or is the HAL voyage only scenic cruising in Antarctica?

Finally checked back again recently and both tours were available to book. The Antarctica one became available first then a week or two later Torres Del Paine became available to book.

After much research I decided to book Torres Del Paine National Park. The reason being it seemed more scenic to visit and is apparently a world heritage site.

Antarctica was seriously an option but the excursion available to our cruise only went to an outer island. It did not touch the Antarctic continent at all nor did it enter the Antarctic Circle. So for me it was probably best to save Antarctica to an expedition cruise later on in life and see more.

It was a tough choice.