Transatlantic cruising

clarktk

Welcome to Cruise Critic1

If you are going from the Med. to Florida you will likely have some nice weather. A more northerly route, maybe not. It is however still hurricane season so you might have to dodge a tropical depression or worse. Truth is you just don't know. Each crossing is usually different. Regardless of the weather there are plenty of things to do onboard (or nothing if that is what you want). Focus on that. If you have great weather consider it a bonus.

Hope you like your first transatlantic!

I did the RCCL Rome to Galveston last year and it was WONDERFUL. That said, we really didn't use our balcony all that much and it was never "shorts and capri weather" until we were closer to the Bahamas. I wore jeans and usually a jacket in Rome and Spain. There were a few times in the middle of the afternoon where I could take off the jacket.

Remember, on board the ship, you are constantly moving at a good clip. The Atlantic was calmer than I thought it would be. I used the solarium pool which is partially enclosed. Don't expect a lot of "sunbathing"!

I'm sure you will find other wonderful things to do onboard. That sailing gets an A+.

In November 2009, I crossed on the Seabourn Spirit, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale via Funchal. Pretty smooth seas and warm weather for the most part. The next year, I was on the Seabourn Legend from Malaga to Fort Lauderdale, also via Funchal. A completely different situation. A day or two out of Funchal, we encountered force 10 for several days. Lots of up and down movement. 20-25 foot waves, broken glasses in the cabin, and breakage in the dining room. The Verandah in the rear closed for several days. I must say the tiny (10000 tons 440 feet long) Legend handled it very well. Must have very good stabilizers. Lots of level side to side movement, but no rolling.

You just never know what the ocean's going to dish out.

Archived