Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

Hi Dave - Really enjoying your reports. I have friends onboard.

Have you run into Ken & Lesley from Australia (shadow 10 on CC) ?

Sorry that the weather and the seas have not been "kind", but the food looks wonderful !! Greetings from "Downunder".

We met and chatted briefly at the Meet and Greet, but I haven't run across them since.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Dave

Fantastic Dave!

Thanks so much for all of your effort...

Looking forward to stroopwaffles!

Any info on the new Tamarind Sushi lunch?

I wonder if it is replacing the old menu, or in addition to?

If there was a choice that would be great, because DH loves sushi, where i do not...

Dh is curious if you can choose the type you like or it is a set type...

Let us know if you partake or hear anything :)

I think it is a great new way to create revenue, where once the space was wasted!

Hopefully they offer both menus. We will see!

surfergirlie,

Here is what is printed on the displays they have at various locations around the ship:

---------------

Sushi at the Tamarind

Exclusive to the Eurodam

Sushi is our latest culinary concept combining the complexity and essence of Asian cuisine

Available during Lunch – 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.

$7.50 per person

Here’s how it works:

First – choose an appetizer:

- Chicken Pho

- Szechuan Salad

Second – Choose your Sushi and Sashimi

- Tuna Sashimi

- Salmon Sashimi

- Rainbow Rolls

- California Rolls

- Yozo Rolls

-

Finally finish with dessert …

The perfect way to dine and get the best view on the ship

--------------------------------

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Tuesday, September 3, 2013, Reykjavik

Today seems a bit more sunny and less windy than yesterday morning, so we may make our way into town again. It was pretty even in the overcast conditions yesterday, and we think it may be even more so in the (occasional) sun.

Here are the photos of today's program:

3Sep13_program_1.JPG

3Sep13_program_2.JPG

More later,

Dave

surfergirlie,

Here is what is printed on the displays they have at various locations around the ship:

---------------

Sushi at the Tamarind

Exclusive to the Eurodam

Sushi is our latest culinary concept combining the complexity and essence of Asian cuisine

$7.50 per person

Here’s how it works:

- Chicken Pho

- Szechuan Salad

- Tuna Sashimi

- Salmon Sashimi

- Rainbow Rolls

- California Rolls

- Yozo Rolls

-

Dave

Thanks so much Dave!

DH will be so happy.

Wonder if they still have the original dim sum lunch menu available for non sushi eaters?

So glad they are generating extra revenue and using the sushi bar...

Wonder if they will add it on the NA?...

Thanks for your awesome report!

Stay safe!

Edited by surfergirle

Thanks so much Dave!

DH will be so happy.

Wonder if they still have the original dim sum lunch menu available for non sushi eaters?

So glad they are generating extra revenue and using the sushi bar...

Wonder if they will add it on the NA?...

Thanks for your awesome report!

Stay safe!

It would be nice if they had the regular menu at lunch. I love dinner but lunch is so so. I do not like sushi enough to pay for it. I'll be able to let you know first hand in mid October :D.

surfergirlie,

---------------

Sushi at the Tamarind

Exclusive to the Eurodam

$7.50 per person

Here’s how it works:

- Chicken Pho

- Szechuan Salad

- Tuna Sashimi

- Salmon Sashimi

- Rainbow Rolls

- California Rolls

- Yozo Rolls

-

Dave

Thanks Dave

I am not really impressed with this lunch menu -- $7.50.

Actually, I can see the photos in the later part of the thread, but not earlier. Did something happen to the earlier ones?

I believe Dave mentioned here that he ran out space on Photobucket...they may have been removed. They were there, but now they're gone. At least you can see the menu for some of the days to get an idea of vegetarian offerings. And as I said in the other thread, the servers are also very accommodating bringing sides of veggies.

You won't go hungry!

Actually, I can see the photos in the later part of the thread, but not earlier. Did something happen to the earlier ones?

That is an artifact of phtobucket's free service. I can store up to 2GB of photos free, but they can be accessed from websites where I link them only for 10GB bandwidth free per month; to get unlimited, I have to pay a monthly fee. I uploaded a little over 20MB of photos, which means they have been viewed an average of about 500 times each, at which time photobucket replaced them with the image. The free bandwidth goes back to zero after each month, which means the photos on the early part of this thread will reappear in a few days.

Once I learned of the problem, I shifted to the Cruise Critic photo gallery to upload photos, but I can only upload a certain maximum size.

Dave

Tue., Sept. 3, 2013, Reykjavik (Cont.)

We took the shuttle bus from the cruise port to the Concert Hall near the city center. We walked back along the shore path to an iconic sculpture of a stylized Viking longship:

Viking_longship_sculpture_Reykjavik.JPG

We then wandered a bit around downtown. The day got sunnier as we went. There were a couple of quick, light showers, but it was mostly sunny with light wind all morning as we wandered.

We went up one of the two shopping streets, Skolavordustigur, and I took a shot back down the street toward the harbor:

Skolavordustigur_shopping_street_Reykjavik.JPG

After popping into most of the souvenir and other stores, we bought some knit caps to donate to the box the ship’s crew has out by the front office – they are collecting donations for the children of Aapillotoq, Greenland, a remote village on the Prins Christian Sund.

We then walked back to catch the shuttle back to the cruise port, walking toward the glass-sided Concert Hall, near the Government House:

Reykjavik_Harpa_Concert_Hall_and_Government_House.JPG

Just past Government House is Arnaholl Hill, from which I took a photo of the city in the sunlight:

View_from_Arnarholl_Hill_Reykjavik.JPG

It is a pretty city, easy to walk around. We are glad we went back into town this morning, to see it in sunlight.

More later,

Dave

lunchtime sushi sounds lovely - even DW says she would try it , especially at the price of £5

keep it up Dave, really enjoying your posts especialy the photos that really capture the moment

thanks

Edited by trub

Keep it up Dave. Thanks for sharing and for the wonderful pics. We will be on the Eurodam next feb so hopefully food stays delicious and I get you to salivate the next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It would be nice if they had the regular menu at lunch. I love dinner but lunch is so so. I do not like sushi enough to pay for it. I'll be able to let you know first hand in mid October :D.

Yay! Cant wait to hear!

I love the dim sum lunch, its really light but perfect after a large breakfast.

I am pan asian crazy and the hot & sour soup reminds me of my second home, PF changs, lol...

DH loves sushi/sashimi (no rolls), he can eat about 35 pieces at dinner in Tamarind.

I think this sushi menu appeals to

People who love true sushi (not lido rolls and such)

Just proud of HAL for using an underused space (sushi bar) to create extra revenue... Why not! Many cruise lines have sushi bars.

Now i just hope they keep the dim sum tea lunch as well.

Thans Dave, we are all really loving ths report. We are so very lucky to come along on your cruise! :)

Edited by surfergirle

All,

After we left Reykjavik yesterday, the MTN dish lost contact with the satellite. It just re-established connectivity. It may go out now and then today, but the last two times it was back pretty well by the Prins Christian Sund.

I have been keeping up my blog, and will post comments/photos as I can. Bear with me if you don't hear from me for a while -- the satellite may drop off now and then at these latitudes.

Dave

Tue., Sept. 3, 2013, Reykjavik (Cont.)

We sailed from Reykjavik on schedule and are heading out to sea en route to Greenland. The skies are still sunny, but the winds are picking up. Captain Emiel said we should have decent weather at least through tomorrow. I’m hoping it continues through the day in Prins Christian Sund.

Before dinner, we had drinks in the Ocean Bar. Music was provided by “Lynn and the HAL Cats” but it was not the whole band playing rock music. It was a trio of saxophone, guitar and drums, and they were playing dance music – tunes tonight such as “All of Me”, “Begin the Beguine” and “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered.” Mostly the sax played lead with guitar doing rhythm and drums light percussion. It is a very good trio, and the music is enough to dance to without drowning out conversation.

Tonight is the special Le Cirque dinner in the Pinnacle. Here is the menu:

Le_Cirque_menu_Eurodam.JPG

But, we did not do that, and instead ate in the MDR. Here are the menus:

3Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

3Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I had the orange-ginger pork for the entrée:

Orange-ginger_pork.JPG

And for dessert, I had the tiramisu (translation from Italian – “pick me up”):

Tiramisu.JPG

We set our clocks back an hour again tonight; that makes three of the six hours we need to lose to align with Eastern U.S. time. Love those 25-hour days!

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, September 4, 2013, at sea

We woke when the skies started to lighted a bit before 5 a.m. The seas are pretty calm for the north Atlantic, and while there are clouds about, there is a mainly clear sky. I hope it keeps it up.

Several activities today, including talks by Jon Sigurdsson. Here are the photos of today’s program:

4Sep13_program_1.JPG

4Sep13_program_2.JPG

More later,

Dave