Jack Does Celebrity

sailawayjack

:cool:Just returned home from a 12 night Baltic cruise aboard Celebrity's Constellation. This was my first X cruise, so I would like to present my observations. I originally wanted to go RCCL, but two things changed my mind. First RCCL did not open up bookings until almost May 2012, while Celeb opened about a month earlier. Second, I would much rather sail from Amsterdam than Harwich, England. Left PHL on friday Aug 9th. Non-stop US Air. Arrived in Amsterdam, caught a van to the Hotel Fita. There were four of us. My wife, and two friends. Upon arrival, we were checked in immediately, and our baggage was delivered to our room. Rate was $175.00 Euro, with full breakfast and balcony on 2nd floor. Location was perfect. One block to Rembrandt Musuem, walking distance to Heineken and canal boats. Withing two blocks there was a large park and a grocery store to purchase wine to bring aboard. Spent two days touring. Arrived a ship on Monday 12th, around 10:30. I was onboard with 15 minutes. Seaview Cafe (Windjammer imitation) was not opened until 11:00. Ship was in excellent shape, food was excellent. MDR had great food and alternative menu with escargot nightly. Ocean Liners and Tuscan Grill (Speciality Rest) had great meals. I am not going to get into port info here. A port is a port with both cruises. We did use SPB for our tours in Stockholm and St. Petersburg. They were great. The captain and his staff were more visible on this cruise than any that I have ever been on. There were all over the ship talking to passengers. Service was very good, but rather stiff compared to the fun we have with RCCL staff. Much older sailers (I'm 66 and felt young). Atmosphere was subdued. The trip was fantastic, ports were great, food good, etc, but I believe that I will be back with RCCL in the future. HOWEVER---I did not see one pair of shorts, t-shirt or hat in MDR at dinner. That was refreshing. People did know how to dress up. Just had to look our for the old ladies charging onto the elevator before you got out. I did review this under ship reviews if anyone is interested in hearing about port stops:cool:JACK SAILED X

I think that the demographics skew "older" on all Baltic cruises (not just X) because of the itinerary (no beaches lol) and because they are usually quite a bit more expensive.

Actually, on my Baltics cruise on Holland America (with its reputation for an older demographic) there weren't that many cruisers that fall in the older demographic. And surprisingly there were many families with children in their teens and somewhat older. Not sure why - other than it was a very port intensive itinerary.

Actually, on my Baltics cruise on Holland America (with its reputation for an older demographic) there weren't that many cruisers that fall in the older demographic. And surprisingly there were many families with children in their teens and somewhat older. Not sure why - other than it was a very port intensive itinerary.

Even though we cruised in June-July I can't remember seeing any children on the Eclipse even though I was prepared for it lol. I agree, very port intensive but incredible.

Archived