European Cruises-Would you go?

I Luv Crusin

I'm curious. I've heard the reason Carnival and other cruise lines are cutting their European itineraries is because Americans don't want to pay to fly to Europe. Personally, if I had the opportunity to cruise Europe again I'd pay the thousand or so to get there.

Would you?

I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks on the Sunshine and I can't wait! The way I see it, yes the flight was expensive, but the cruise itself was a great price so it all balances out :D Now when I add up everything I'm spending on private excursions and admission to all the sites/museums, that's another story! haha

I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks on the Sunshine and I can't wait! The way I see it, yes the flight was expensive, but the cruise itself was a great price so it all balances out :D
Unlike Dana, I am getting up there in years, and its time, and the price was right!:p

Glad we were able to get a Carnival cruise in the Med. at a good price, and with 'good friends'.. :) :p:)

I'd love to go to Europe next year. But my husband *hates* air travel (not that he has any fear, he just hates the hassle of it.) So trying to convince him to spend 40% of our overall vacation budget on just airfare is an uphill battle and one I'm not sure is worth the fight. I'll probably keep looking to see what I can find, but everything else on the vacation has to be priced right to fill the gap!

Another cruise line offered me a free cruise out of Barcelona in October 2011. When I looked up what was the actual cost for the cruise, had I had to pay, it turned out to be $100 less that what I ended up paying for air fair LA to Barcelona.

Would I go again? Maybe but for now I will stick to the Caribbean as at 13 hour flight got to me both ways.

We love Europe and cruising there. Recently we've stopped because we have a young child who can't handle being on a plane that long. We'll go again in a few years. If all the USA geared ships leave, we have no problem going on a European line such as Thompson.

I'm curious. I've heard the reason Carnival and other cruise lines are cutting their European itineraries is because Americans don't want to pay to fly to Europe. Personally, if I had the opportunity to cruise Europe again I'd pay the thousand or so to get there.

Would you?

We did a Western Med cruise this spring and it was worth every euro! :)

~ Sheryl

Yep, we're doing it in a couple of months. It was a bit more expensive than doing domestic cruises, but we'll be in Europe twice as long (12 day cruise vs 7 day for the Caribbean) plus an extra 3 days in Spain afterwards, so I think all-in-all we're getting a good deal.
Similar to our plan...:) Two days in Venice prior, then a 12 day sailing to Barcelona, and three extra days there!:p

Makes it all seem worth-while!!!:D

I think a lot of people can't fork out 1500 dollars or more for airfare. I'm doing the TA on the Sunshine solo and only had to pay for one airfare. The TA cruise was pretty cheap also. But I got a one way ticket for less then 500 dollars. The problem is it don't have a lot of ports so I will have to go back for a land trip someday

We did the Baltic 2 years ago with DS14. Hoping to go back next year. Expensive-- yes, but could be dead tomorrow. I also feel its a wonderful education for him.
We did the Baltic last month with 2 DS, 17 and 13. I think the air fare ended up being more expensive than the cruise - but it was our 30th anniversary. The boys learned so much on this vacation, and they've become fairly confident travelers.

When booking a vacation, I always think of MIL. She always talked about "When I retire, we're going to go...." or "When I retire, we'll have the boys come to visit...." She finally retired at age 66, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 67, and was gone at age 68. I'm not waiting until I retire. I may not be around for the event.

Best value there is, what can beat waking up in a new port/city every day have a great breakfast/dinner every evening! Doesn't matter by land our ship its the same for airfare.

Would you?

Would you?

Just got back.

But had we not used FF miles, we wouldn't have gone.

It was worth it for what we paid and it would have been worth it w/o FF mile, but worth it or not, the trip wouldn't have happened it I didn't have the miles built up.

Archived