Does anyone fear Meet & Mingle like I do?

I have never had a bad experience with any M&Ms. Due to roll calls most people have formed some bonds already and form their own groups.

I have been on some that were duds due to low turn out too.

Last cruise it was scheduled too early in the morning so we did not go. But members of our traveling group did and won prizes. So go for prizes and leave if you get uncomfortable. You don't need to exchange room numbers or personal stuff.

yes, i do. I am afraid they will try to convince me to supply the combo to my safe.

Also, there are a lot of people on here that don't understand my contributions, so i get concerned that they will enact retribution.

Good one! You do know, don't you?, that that is what you write on the piece of paper to enter the drawings.

Kathy

I never went to meetups when I travelled with my wife. However, I am going solo this November and will definitely attend. I don't expect to make any lifelong ( or even cruise long ) friends, but, If I didn't go because of feeling uncomfortable, I would feel I had given in to my fears.

So, I feel the OP should go for that reason alone. The odds of attracting a stalker or two are slim. After all, no one can impose upon you unless you let them.

I use the roll call as a way to get info and pearls of wisdom from others that will be on our sailing. That is where it ends. I have never felt that the roll call and meet and mingle go hand in hand. DH and I are not interested in forced socialization...we have met some great people on our trips but prefer to let that happen organically. I'm sure the M&M is great for many passengers, just not our cup of tea! If you are stressed about it then don't go;)

I only have done one and actually did it at the tail end of the meeting since there was a fruit cutting art demonstration I did not want to miss.

It was nice seeing another familiar face on the ship but I did not think it was a must do even though I had already had said I would.

I did do the slot pull and that was fun.. but like I have read there were some overbearing personalities that I did not feel totally comfortable with.

I think that after months of reading and following the roll call of a particular cruise, it is somewhat possible to get the "vibe" of the group. I have followed a few roll calls and then attended some meet and greets. Others I did not. In one in particular there was a group of about 10-12 that took over a large roll call. They were recognizable by the pictures on the roll call. Throughout the cruise they were often seen together at dinners, bars etc. To each their own. I was satisfied to have not attended that M&G.

I was hesitant attending M&M before as I'm not really sociable but it helped having somebody with you to chat with in case nobody in the room wanted to. Lol.

I attended all of my past cruises' M&M (4 of them, I'm still a Newbie), and I enjoyed the last two the most as I became more active participating in our roll call group.

However, two weeks ago in Allure, it was the first time attending by myself and then, this was the first time I also won a raffle prize! I'm still thrilled about it!

9616095527_fa50eb3604.jpg

My Raffle Prize:

1. Nylon drawstring bag

2. A book about Allure

3. Umbrella

4. Hat

5. Toiletry bag with small toiletries inside

The RCL staff gave all those who attended with Notepad w/ pen lanyard (see on the upper left side of the picture). I say go for it! It's always nice if you can win something!

I have this fear when it comes to the Meet and Mingle. I'm sure everyone is really nice and want to make "cruise friends". However, as in "real life" not everyone meshes with everyone else. Has anyone gone to a Meet and Mingle and had people from there just follow them around, even though you wished they wouldn't? Perhaps like, you're sitting at the Schooner Bar, they see and you sit for the evening even though you really don't have anything in common or (not to be mean) but you really don't want them there.

The wife and I have been on about 10 cruises and only went to one M&M. The one we went to was on the Allure in 2012. There was about 100 people involved in that M&M with a lot of pre-cruise posting. The decision was made to meet at the Schooner Bar upon arrival in the afternoon and then we went to the aft end of the ship for a sail away drink as the ship was departing Fort Lauderdale. We found it to be a good time. The actual M&M was a couple of days later and most of the people on the message board showed up. We did meet a couple of the people throughout the week and had drinks, etc. but for the most part we did not hang around with any of them. I do know that a group of about 15-20 of them did form a party group and still keep in contact as I receive emails from the Allure board that we were on. Join up, go and enjoy yourself. You don't have to be under any obligation to hang around with anyone. You never know you may make friends for life. If not you gave it a shot. It doesn't cost anything. By the way the aft end of the ship makes for a great photo OP. The port of fort Lauderdale takes photos of the back of the ships as they leave. You can contact the port and give the date of departure. If your standing in the aft end when they are taken, you can go through the pictures and pick out what you want to buy. No one can take photos like this for you unless they are on the pier with a high powered zoom. They make for a great shot for your cruise album. I think they are about $15.00 each.

Hey Dennis, How you doing.

Definitely not ours. We had alot of good people at that M&M

Than our groups competing against each other at progressive trivia. We will get you next time:D

That was a good cruise, I wish RCCl would bring the Radiance back to the west coast

We are doing well. We share your thoughts on west coast cruising. From our perspectve west coast/east coast are a toss up as to travel distance, but there is just something about the west coast.

I see you are heading across the ocean in a month -- have a great time. We also stopped in Madeira on our one and only TA [so far]. Funchal is one of those places I found remarkable but never would have gone if it hadn't been on the itinerary we chose for other reasons. For what its worth, we did Madeira on our own. We took the cable car up and the baskets down [the sled like things]. Then we walked through the markets and had lunch. Mary went to tea at Reid's Palace with some of the other ladies from the cruise. Enjoyable day.

Anyway -- enjoy the cruise and let us know how you like Epic.

[Does anyone fear Meet & Mingle like I do?]

Well, that's an interesting thread title. I have to admit that there are some things I do fear, on a cruise. I guess the top of that list is waking up in the middle of the night, to hear that dreaded "six short blasts, followed by one long blast" on the ships' horn. :eek:

But, do I fear walking into a party (thrown by the cruise ship), where I get a chance to meet the nice folks I've been chatting with online for months? :p

-- No, not so much. ;)

Well, that's an interesting thread title. I have to admit that there are some things I do fear, on a cruise. I guess the top of that list is waking up in the middle of the night, to hear that dreaded "six short blasts, followed by one long blast" on the ships' horn. :eek:

But, do I fear walking into a party (thrown by the cruise ship), where I get a chance to meet the nice folks I've been chatting with online for months? :p

-- No, not so much. ;)

99% of the time the M&M parties are just fine. But, if you get mildly stalked on your cruise because of someone at one of those parties, you would feel differently and not go to them.

-- No, not so much. ;)

Interesting how people take things so literally. The use of the word fear is called using a "grab word". Obviously it worked seeing as so many people have responded. I do not have social anxiety and if my friends read that they would laugh hysterically. Thanks to all who responded. I figured there would be "cling-ons" and "stalkers". Was interested in hearing how often it happens. Thanks again for sharing all your experiences.

99% of the time the M&M parties are just fine. But, if you get mildly stalked on your cruise because of someone at one of those parties, you would feel differently and not go to them.

I can understand that -- fortunately, it's never happened to me. :cool:

I did once have a roll-caller, who I had not met, show up at my cabin door (unannounced), asking if I was wwcruisers. Fortunately, Mr. wwcruisers answered the door, and politely told the gentleman that the cabin crawl wasn't until later in the cruise. Interestingly enough, we never saw him at any of the planned activities -- and, there were only a couple of posts by him on an otherwise active roll-call. :confused:

I can understand that -- fortunately, it's never happened to me. :cool:

I did once have a roll-caller, who I had not met, show up at my cabin door (unannounced), asking if I was wwcruisers. Fortunately, Mr. wwcruisers answered the door, and politely told the gentleman that the cabin crawl wasn't until later in the cruise. Interestingly enough, we never saw him at any of the planned activities -- and, there were only a couple of posts by him on an otherwise active roll-call. :confused:

He didn't manage Bates Motel did he?:eek:

When I first joined this board I looked at the Roll Call for our next cruise. After reading most of the posts there I decided to avoid any meetings on the ship. Some of those pp were just a bit toooooo enthusiastic about cruising. :eek:

Question here is why would you sign up for the Meet and Mingle if you fear it? I think you should only sign up and attend if you intend to go. I can see people sign up and the time does not work for them but at least they made the effort and signed up.

The wife and I have been on about 10 cruises and only went to one M&M. The one we went to was on the Allure in 2012. There was about 100 people involved in that M&M with a lot of pre-cruise posting. The decision was made to meet at the Schooner Bar upon arrival in the afternoon and then we went to the aft end of the ship for a sail away drink as the ship was departing Fort Lauderdale. We found it to be a good time. The actual M&M was a couple of days later and most of the people on the message board showed up. We did meet a couple of the people throughout the week and had drinks, etc. but for the most part we did not hang around with any of them. I do know that a group of about 15-20 of them did form a party group and still keep in contact as I receive emails from the Allure board that we were on. Join up, go and enjoy yourself. You don't have to be under any obligation to hang around with anyone. You never know you may make friends for life. If not you gave it a shot. It doesn't cost anything. By the way the aft end of the ship makes for a great photo OP. The port of fort Lauderdale takes photos of the back of the ships as they leave. You can contact the port and give the date of departure. If your standing in the aft end when they are taken, you can go through the pictures and pick out what you want to buy. No one can take photos like this for you unless they are on the pier with a high powered zoom. They make for a great shot for your cruise album. I think they are about $15.00 each.

Where can you see these photos ? Very interesting ! Much cheaper than the ships photos !!:cool:

I had a guy hang around with me on my last cruise, he was loud & rude. I would tell people on the side I am not with this guy. He would catch me at a bar and sit with me. Then would tell others to look at how big my hands were, hot big my feet and knees were, etc. It didn't matter to me, I just drank my beers. This was not a person I met at a meet & greet.

Talkin about your big hands and stalking you .. I dunno, Hannibal ... sounds like he was hitting on ya !! :eek::p

Question here is why would you sign up for the Meet and Mingle if you fear it? I think you should only sign up and attend if you intend to go. I can see people sign up and the time does not work for them but at least they made the effort and signed up.

Exactly. A lot of folks (myself included) will sometimes post in M&M threads, but never asked to get put onto the informal thread roster or sign up on the site. That's just rude.

Where can you see these photos ? Very interesting ! Much cheaper than the ships photos !!:cool:

The last time I used them was when we were on the Allure, in 2012. I believe that you go to inletphotosportofeverglades.com or just inletphotos.com the company is called something like Smughug. Once you get there look for all the pictures from sail aways with people waving from the ships fantails. I know that they get back up so it may take awhile before they are posted. If you have questions for them click on "Contact us" at the bottom of the page and they should get back to you. The cost of the photos is very reasonable. You have to review the pictures from your sailing to find the ones that you are in. I don't know how may other ports they take pictures from. The port we lft from was Port Everglade, FLA.

Archived