Spring Break cruise out of Galveston ??

My experience with Princess is that it is a more sedate crowd. The ships, though beautiful, do not have the physical activities that RCI has for kids...of all ages:D. I would not do a Princess cruise with kids...

You don't say where you live, but if you are flying in, one thing to consider is that with a Houston departure, you don't have the $80-$100 transfer each way to Galveston.

On the other hand, RCI does have a great kids program, you may not see him the whole cruise.:D

There is no cruise port in Houston. They just use that name because it is more recognizable. All the cruise ships leave out of Galveston.

Hobby airport (HOU) is however, closer than George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

There is no cruise port in Houston. They just use that name because it is more recognizable. All the cruise ships leave out of Galveston.

Hobby airport (HOU) is however, closer than George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

No,

there are NCL and Princess Cruise Lines beginning cruises

out of the Build IT and they will come cruise terminal port!

Between La Porte and Seabrook.

It's been some years ... but we did the Splendour out of Galveston when DD was 10. She had a blast! Of about 2000 pax, they said there were 492 kids. I really can't say I felt that every fourth person I saw was under the age of 18, but wherever they were, they were enjoying themselves without infringing on the enjoyment of others.

We also stayed at Harbor House, which I booked by calling them direct (got a better price than the Galveston web site was offering). If you go a day or two early, I highly recommend the aquarium at Moody Gardens. It's one of the best aquariums I've ever visited.

Princess and NCL will sail our of the Bayport Cruise Terminal at the Houston Ship Channel.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean are at the Port of Galveston.

I've stayed at the Treemont -- LOVED IT!!! I "ran away from home" several years ago and went there for four days. It's a great location -- about a block from the Strand so you can easily walk over for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and there are plenty of restraunts nearby.

My family is considering taking the Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston on the Navigator. I know there will be lots of families with kids! For those of you who have cruised on Spring Break, were you able to enjoy yourself or was it just too packed! We're also debating whether to take the RCL cruise out of Galveston or the Princess cruise out of Houston? We will have our 12 yr old DS with us. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

We were on Navigator last year at spring break out of nola in 2013. The ship was full and we could not tell it that much even on sea days. My 9 yo had a wonderful time. My wife and I had a wonderful time and we met wonderful cruise friends.

I really appreciate everyone's input! It has greatly relieved my fears of being overly crowded on Spring Break! Now I am looking at possibly cruising with just my son, hubby just doesn't want to go! I think DS & I would still have a great time! Anyone ever leave a spouse at home & just take the kiddos?

I will say galveston is nice for Texas cruisers. You do pay a preimum for sailing out of there if you can't drive there. It is expensive to get from hobby to the port and the sailings are more expensive. Our cruise on the navigator last march was $1000 dollars less than the cruise departing galveston at the same time. Our air fair was the same and the cab to the ship was only $20.00. I do like the ports of call better, but I like the $1000 better to.

We've stayed at Harbor House before. That worked out really well because you can leave your car there for the week and walk to the pier. We had my mom and her friend with us and they couldn't walk, so we drove them over, dropped off them and the luggage and then we drove back to Harbor House, parked and walked back to the pier. An easy walk.

We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach. They let you leave your car for the week. We won't do that again because our friend's car was broken into while we were gone. We got back Sunday morning to find her car alarm going off and her window busted out. Not a great end to a nice vacation.

Now we usually stay at the Hilton by the seawall just because we like it. We don't leave the car though or take the shuttle. We park at EZCruise. We drive over to the pier, drop the luggage off with the porters, drive the block to EZCruise and park and walk to the ship. It's only a block or so, easy walk and no waiting on the shuttle. When we get back on Sunday, I stay with the luggage out in front while DH walks over to EZCruise and gets the car and then he comes and picks me and the luggage up and we are on our way. We like leaving the car at EZCruise much more than the hotels because it seems much more secure.

We prefer to stay on the island. Much more relaxing to us. Lots of great restaurants!

Thanks ssb and Galveston Cruiser, see we can agree on some things.:D

One big criticism I read about sailing out of Houston was that it took so long to get out to sea, like over three hours.

Thanks ssb and Galveston Cruiser, see we can agree on some things.:D

One big criticism I read about sailing out of Houston was that it took so long to get out to sea, like over three hours.

True. They have to go down the ship channel to the Gulf.

I am sure the cost for the Pilot is also more as they have a longer run, hours, with the Pilot boat also having to make the trip, both ways.

When the ships leave Galveston, they go through the jetties and are in the Gulf. They have a Pilot, but it is a real short trip.

Hi OsageGal,

We too are from Oklahoma and will be doing the drive as well. I dont think you stated, but what week are you looking at? We will be on Navigator the 16th of March out of Galveston. We have 11 in our group and 6 cabins.

My group is driving down on Saturday morning and we will be staying in Webster, TX at a Comfort Inn Suites. We have stayed there before for a pre-cruise stay and it was just fine - and doesn't have the 2 night requirement. Since i have a lot of 20 year olds in my group (certainly not my age... LOL) we are thinking about heading over to the Boardwalk in the Kemah, TX area that night to eat, walk around and enjoy the Boardwalk.

Next morning we will leave Webster, TX and head to the port --- I believe it wasn't much of a drive to the port, maybe 20 minutes or so. We will also park at EZ Cruise parking. Hope that helps you in your travel plans..

And by the way -- to answer your question about traveling with the kiddo's without hubby. Go for it. If everyone is ok with the arrangement. I took my Daughter and Son to Alaska and left Dad at home (work deadlines) and we still talk about that cruise to this day. We had the best time! And Royal Caribbean does a fantastic job of engaging the pre-teen and teens in activities. My kids are in their 20's and still email/facebook friends from past cruises from years ago. They will have a great time.

Thanks for all the replies! And Rhonda, yes, we will be on the March 16 cruise. Your plans sound very similar to what I'm planning although I haven't made pre-cruise hotel reservations yet. I guess us Oklahomans will be keeping the south bound roads hot on Saturday, March 15th:).

It is the Gumbo Bar on Post Office Street.

No Gumbo Hut restaurant on the island.

That's it...sorry for the confusion. They say the memory is the second thing to go but I can't remember what the first thing is. :D

That's it...sorry for the confusion. They say the memory is the second thing to go but I can't remember what the first thing is. :D

Excellent place. They also own Sky Bar (Sushi), Saltwater Grill, Mario's on Seawall and a new place on Seawall next to the Commodore. Can't remember the name:p But they are open for breakfast and lunch.

Guess I will drive by there later and write it down:D

We did FOS in summer and it was FULL of kids! I am sure that SB out of Galveston will be full too.

Just keep a good attitude towards kids and you should be fine.

When you get on the elevator, you will find that kids play on them ( I did too when I was a kid) They are goofy and silly when you get on, but we would just talk to them and laugh with them.

I would love to do the SB cruise out of Galveston. I live in Texas

I would love to do the SB cruise out of Galveston. I live in Texas

Galveston is a great port to sail out of. It is literally the only cruise I have ever been on where everyone I interacted with dockside (check-in staff, people who just direct you, and yes ... even the porters) was friendly and helpful. It was completely unexpected and incredibly refreshing. You felt like they really valued you and appreciated the fact that you had chosen to take your cruise from Texas.

We've done 2 Christmas cruises out of Galveston on the Mariner. There were 1200 kids onboard on each cruise. Amazingly, we never once saw a child misbehave, run up and down the halls, punch elevator buttons, hog the pools, etc. The Windjammer was less hectic than adults elbowing and jumping in line. I'll have to admit I was a bit amazed ... it was peaceful! I suspect much of the credit probably goes to the well-run Adventure Ocean.

My DH & I did a Carnival SB cruise last year out of Galveston, Lots of kids. We did not have kids with us. We did stay at a motel in S Houston the night before for $50 which included a breakfast bar. It was 45 min drive to the pot. We parked in a covered garage about a book from port. We were off the ship and on the road by 7:30 am. It made for a fast departure at end of cruise.

Archived