American computers in Europe

DoulaAnn

As a newbie traveler to Europe, I am concerned about using/charging my computer on the EU voltage. How would I know whether my computer is compatible with this? I've found the info on my hair dryer, but not sure about the computer. Sorry if this is a foolish question.

Not a foolish question; however, you have nothing to worry about. Your laptop is 120/240 voltage and will work world-wide. If you're using it on the ship they will most likely have a standard U.S. plug - if you're going to use it in a hotel then you will probably need a plug that will work in that particular country (unlike the USA, there is no standard plug for European countries).

We have a lot of American computers over here.....Apple, Dell, H-P, IBM etc ......

Sorry, couldn't resist it :D

The important voltage input is marked on the adapter on the power cable.

Most european countries use a plug with two round pins, but UK and Ireland use plugs with 3 square pins.

I worries about this, too. We had several posts about voltage on our TA roll call.

If you look at the power cord for your computer it will say something like input--100-220 volts [or it might say 110] It will work with voltage anywhere between that range.

Unless your hair dryer or curling iron, etc says something like this you will fry it using it in Europe. On the ship you are OK.

Adapters are sold on Amazon for about $6. [for plugs] Voltage converters are expensive and heavy.

Archived