need help deciding alaska trip, questions

kittercat85

Hi all,

On Thursday I booked an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon out of Seattle. We are super excited! I was on a HAL Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver when I was 14, and my fiance has never been.

I decided to book on the Amsterdam cause it left on Sunday. There's also an event in Seattle on Saturday that I wanted to go to. This might sound silly too, but I like the look of the Amsterdam... reminds me of my other HAL cruises.

Now I'm second guessing if I should have booked Westerdam to go to Glacier Bay. I'm torn. I've never seen Tracy's Arm and have been to GB, but online I keep seeing people say GO TO GLACIER BAY.

Any thoughts or advice? Amsterdam vs. Westerdam? Am I going to be disappointed with Tracy's Arm after going to GB?

Also, I know embarkation is 4 pm.. What time do you actually need to be at port? I was too young to remember and care about that stuff on my past cruises. I'm wondering if I could stop at that event at 11 and stay for like 1-2 hours and head over. It's in Freemont.

Thank you so much for any help or insight you can give :)

We have done Alaska on both ships.

We like both ships.

Westerdam is larger than Amsterdam.

One thing to keep in mind, many times the ships don't make it close to Tracy Arm because of the ice flows. That has happened to us a couple of times.

I don't know if you are going to eat at the Pinnacle one night or not. On the Westerdam the Pinnacle is on the port side and has windows that you can look out and see the beautiful scenery. The Amsterdam's Pinnacle in the interior of the ship - there are 3 windows -- but they look out into the hallway. Don't know if that is important to you.

Amsterdam is considered the flag ship of the HAL fleet . It usually has the most experienced crew on board .

If the sail time is 4PM you should on board no later then 2PM . The best is to board around noon. Have a quiet lunch, check out your cabin and start your cruise . About 3:15PM they will have muster drill before departure .

I personally won't board at the last moment because you'll feel rushed.

Hi all,

On Thursday I booked an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon out of Seattle. We are super excited! I was on a HAL Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver when I was 14, and my fiance has never been.

I decided to book on the Amsterdam cause it left on Sunday. There's also an event in Seattle on Saturday that I wanted to go to. This might sound silly too, but I like the look of the Amsterdam... reminds me of my other HAL cruises.

Now I'm second guessing if I should have booked Westerdam to go to Glacier Bay. I'm torn. I've never seen Tracy's Arm and have been to GB, but online I keep seeing people say GO TO GLACIER BAY.

Any thoughts or advice? Amsterdam vs. Westerdam? Am I going to be disappointed with Tracy's Arm after going to GB?

Also, I know embarkation is 4 pm.. What time do you actually need to be at port? I was too young to remember and care about that stuff on my past cruises. I'm wondering if I could stop at that event at 11 and stay for like 1-2 hours and head over. It's in Freemont.

We had our first Alaska cruise last June and went to Tracy Arm. It was fantastic. One of our most special days at sea and we are so happy that is the itinerary we chose. There are many of us who rave about our Tracy Arm viewing.

Embarkation for HAL ships almost always starts at about 11:15. You should NOT plan to be boarding at 4 P.M. Embarkation mostly over by then (with some exceptions). Be sure to register on line in advance at the HAL site and plan to board by 90 minutes prior to sail away time.

Amsterdam is considered the flag ship of the HAL fleet . It usually has the most experienced crew on board .

If the sail time is 4PM you should on board no later then 2PM . The best is to board around noon. Have a quiet lunch, check out your cabin and start your cruise . About 3:15PM they will have muster drill before departure .

Just for the sake of accuracy, Rotterdam and Amsterdam are co-flagships. Amsterdam does World Cruise but Rotterdam has as well, in the past. Before Amsterdam joined the fleet, Rotterdam was the sole flagship and then her sister ship was co-named.

Alaska is not a "one and done" destination. It calls you back again and again, and you can vary the ports and scenic cruising areas.

You should be able to sail well up Tracy Arm, although you may or may not get close to the glacier at the end of it. The whole purpose of Tracy Arm is the scenic cruising of a true fjord, and the glacier is a bonus---if you get to it. If you don't, maybe next time.

Glacier Bay is a real bay, not a fjord. The purpose of sailing there is to see all the spectacular glaciers, and the scenic cruising is a bonus. If you don't go there on this cruise, you can catch it next time. There will be a "next time"! :)

One other glacier to add to your "to do" list is Hubbard Glacier, which, imo, leaves all the rest far behind.

Some day you'll want to go there, too.

In other words, there is no way to make a mistake on choosing an Alaska itinerary; there are only choices for "this time" and "some day".

Thanks for all your replies everyone with all your info and thoughts. You helped make me feel better about the decision to stick with Tracy Arm. :) I think we will love the Amsterdam. We live a few miles away from Amsterdam, NY (and Rotterdam, NY.. lol) so even the ship name is kind of special to us too... stupid as that sounds. :p

RuthC - you are right and I like the way you put it. I hope someday we'll be able to visit again and we haven't even gone yet! haha

Have a quiet lunch, check out your cabin and start your cruise . About 3:15PM they will have muster drill before departure .

If you board "later" you risk missing lunch if that is important. One trip from Vancouver we delayed until around 2:00 and by the time we got on board and through the Lido line, there was slim pickings AND 10 minutes to inhale lunch before the muster drill.

We've been to Glacier Bay four times, but when we went to Tracy Arm a year ago, that trip was wonderful. It was the only place we saw bears as you are closer to the shores. We also saw hundreds of baby seals on the ice flows, along with many mountain goats. Of course, there were the eagles too.

We think Glacier Bay is beautiful, but to us, Tracy Arm was spectacular.

Hi all,

A taxi from the Freemont district to Pier 91 where the cruise port is, is not going to be more than about $20.00 and probably less! the ride over is only about 15 minutes...

Amsterdam is a fabulous ship, we love it and have sailed a couple of times to Alaska on her!! We have been to both GB and TA, and although only to TA once, and GB 4 times, I was most impressed with Tracy Arm, to glide through the fjords and come soooo close to those huge rocks, was amazing!!

every twist and turn was a new vista, and we really enjoyed it, that was last year in 2012, this year we went to Glacier bay, it was fine, but not as exciting as TA, be sure to go out on the bow to see everything!! have a wonderful honeymoon trip!!

Thank you for sharing all your Tracy Arm experiences - I am really looking forward to it now. I'm a huge animal lover, I really hope I have some of the amazing animal viewing experiences that you have mentioned.

AlohaPride - Thanks! We're going August 17th, 7 day roundtrip. I'd LOVE to do a 14 day trip, but my fiance and I are both teachers and both of those interfere with school :) Maybe someday!

We've been to Glacier Bay four times, but when we went to Tracy Arm a year ago, that trip was wonderful. It was the only place we saw bears as you are closer to the shores. We also saw hundreds of baby seals on the ice flows, along with many mountain goats. Of course, there were the eagles too.

We also saw many, many baby seals and their moms on the ice floes in Tracy Arm. Such wonderful viewing especially with a backdrop of the most beautiful waterfalls. I'm surprised no one has mentioned those gorgeous falls. I've never seen anything like that before and the Sawyer glaciers are spellbinding.... at least for us. We really loved our day there.

Captain stayed as long as he could in front of the glaciers and turned the ship 360 to be sure everyone got the best possible views. We had Captain Henk Draper on Oosterdam and could not have asked for more special experience. We will never forget it.

Thank you for sharing all your Tracy Arm experiences - I am really looking forward to it now. I'm a huge animal lover, I really hope I have some of the amazing animal viewing experiences that you have mentioned.

AlohaPride - Thanks! We're going August 17th, 7 day roundtrip. I'd LOVE to do a 14 day trip, but my fiance and I are both teachers and both of those interfere with school :) Maybe someday!

I do hope you'll post a review. I'd ask for a "live from" thread, but I know you'll be on your honeymoon, so a review will do ;) LOL

:D I couldn't have said it better myself. After 9 trips to Alaska we have done both several times. My favorite is Tracy Arm!!

We had our first Alaska cruise last June and went to Tracy Arm. It was fantastic. One of our most special days at sea and we are so happy that is the itinerary we chose. There are many of us who rave about our Tracy Arm viewing.

Embarkation for HAL ships almost always starts at about 11:15. You should NOT plan to be boarding at 4 P.M. Embarkation mostly over by then (with some exceptions). Be sure to register on line in advance at the HAL site and plan to board by 90 minutes prior to sail away time.

We checked in online in advance, then arrived at Pier 91 at about 11:15 am and it literally took us about 15 minutes to be in our cabin :)

Unlike our first cruise with Carnival. We flew the same day we sailed. We arrived at SFO at 6:00 am for an 8:00 am flight to LAX. We were immediately met by the Carnival shuttle to San Pedro pier to find a line that took HOURS, winding around the outside of several building before even entering the building to check in, and then the line zig zagged back and forth inside for another hour wait. We boarded just in time to drop our luggage in our cabin and head to muster for a 4:00 pm sailing. It was NOT a good way to start a cruise.

So 2nd cruise, we flew to Seattle the day before and arrived at the pier early. I was so happy with the boarding experience with HAL :)

Archived