Sir David Frost Dies on Queen Elizabeth

CASHIPman

So sad. Only 74-years-old. Not that old at all these days. A great interviewer. The BBC quote the family saying that he died of a heart attack last night on the Queen Elizabeth and that he was sailing on her to give a speech. They don't say he had the heart attack whilst giving the speech.

How very, very sad. I watched him on the BBC as a teenager in the 60's and later in life with the Nixon interviews. I was so looking forward to seeing him in person as a speaker on QM2 on the October 8 TA from Southampton. Condolences to his family. RIP.

QE is not due into Lisbon until Tuesday morning.

After leaving Southampton yesterday evening, it would not be unusual for a key invited speaker like Sir David to have opened up with a lecture this morning in the main theatre.

RIP Sir David Frost

QE is not due into Lisbon until Tuesday morning.

After leaving Southampton yesterday evening, it would not be unusual for a key invited speaker like Sir David to have opened up with a lecture this morning in the main theatre.

RIP Sir David Frost

He died last night!

This is very sad news. He was on QM2 world cruise last year. He gave two talks on there and he was extremely funny when interviewed by cruise Director Paul O' Loughlin. Paul only managed to get a few words in as David chatted away and make the audience cry with laughter. He stayed on from Cape Town to Mauritius. Was not seen around the ship other than at his two performances. I guess he was in in Queens Grill.

Sad loss to the news world also as he was due to start a new programme on AlJezeera TV very soon. We saw it was advertised last week when we were watching TV.

Prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

We were disembarking from the QE on Saturday morning, about 8:30 or 9:00 and medical officers took a gentleman off the ship in a wheelchair. He looked in some distress. I didn't recognize him at the time, but I am wondering now if this might have been Mr. Frost. Perhaps he had already been on a cruise -- we were just finishing the tour of the Baltics -- and was preparing for the next segment, or he might have arrived early to check into his stateroom.

We were disembarking from the QE on Saturday morning, about 8:30 or 9:00 and medical officers took a gentleman off the ship in a wheelchair. He looked in some distress. I didn't recognize him at the time, but I am wondering now if this might have been Mr. Frost. Perhaps he had already been on a cruise -- we were just finishing the tour of the Baltics -- and was preparing for the next segment, or he might have arrived early to check into his stateroom.

From the news article...

"A family statement said he had been giving a speech aboard the Queen Elizabeth on Saturday night."

So, the gentleman you saw was somebody else.

The Washington Post quotes the Associated Press, here:

"Frost died of a suspected heart attack on Saturday night aboard the Queen Elizabeth cruise ship, where he was due to give a speech, the family said. The cruise company Cunard said its vessel left the English port of Southampton on Saturday for a 10-day cruise in the Mediterranean."

Not the first time one is mis-quoted...

I don't think it matters if Sir David Frost died before, during or after a lecture on board QE.

I find it distasteful (to say the very least, but I don't wish to be offensive) to speculate.

Please folks, someone has died.

R.I.P. Sir David Frost.

RIP Sir David. I never had the pleasure of hearing him speak, indeed we heard he was to be on this trip whilst we were on the QE to Norway 2 weeks ago and were quite envious. My heart goes out to his family and friends but also to those on board who will, no doubt be upset by this. I know that hearing of any passenger falling ill can upset you when your sailing together but even more-so when it's a guest speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think it matters if Sir David Frost died before, during or after a lecture on board QE.

I find it distasteful (to say the very least, but I don't wish to be offensive) to speculate.

R.I.P. Sir David Frost.

Absolutely, Pepper.

R.I.P. Sir David Frost, a broadcast icon.

Ricki

R.I.P. Sir David Frost.

Pepperrn, I join you and my fellow Cunarders in expressing condolences to Sir David Frost's wife, family and friends.

I don't think any previous posters were being offensive when commenting on the details of Sir David's passing. As a journalist, no doubt he would appreciate the interest in accuracy and detail.

Personally, while I greatly enjoyed his skill as an interviewer, I most appreciated his sense of humour, especially in my youth when he was ground-breaking in his irreverent sense of humour.

When I read the topic of this thread:

"Sir David Frost Dies on Queen Elizabeth"...

I imagined him having a hearty laugh at the implied visual. (Although, perhaps Prince Philip's reaction might differ?)

Three cheers for David Frost, and a fond farewell.

Salacia

Archived