End of Season clearence

wmjivey

We will be sailing next week and were wondering if the deep discounts are showing up yet at the ports. If so what are yall seeing? We are doing Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

John

Just got back and yes there are a lot of discounts. Mostly on the usual souvenirs, t-shirts, hats, coats etc...

We sailed this week last season. We found lots of items on sale.

We got t-shirts and sweat shirts for $5 in Ketchikan and in Skagway. I got Whale tails necklaces for $10 in Skagway. I got a headband for $3.50. In Ketchikan I went to Totem Bight and Potlach Park. At the Potlach gift shop I got an Ulu with a native carved handle for 1/2 price.

Buy your ulu knives at one of the ports. I went to the Uu factory in Anchorage just to see if they had deeper discounts. They were more expensive than in ports.

The gift shops at the McKinley Chalet [and other gift shops] in Denali were discounting items--but not as much as in the ports.

Ulu's yes that is what this aspiring chef needs!! I never thought of the Potlach gift store. I was going to slum around the docks.

John

The best place for plain Ulu knives, no "Alaska" markings, is the second floor of the Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan. Downstairs is for the tourist stuff but upstairs is for Alaska outfitting.

Downstairs $8 and up. Upstairs $2.99 and up.

If your cruise is the last one in Alaska, everything Alaska on board will be 75-90% off for the last three days. Plan to buy smoked salmon at $2 instead of the normal $16, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
Buy your ulu knives at one of the ports. I went to the Uu factory in Anchorage just to see if they had deeper discounts. They were more expensive than in ports.

You're not comparing apples to apples - there's a reason that ulu prices range from $3 to $150. If you want a giveaway to someone, the Asian junk that won't hold an edge may work for you. If you want quality so you can use it or even to display it with other art (which a good ulu can be), be prepared to pay for it, and discounts on the local quality ones are quite small.

Yeh, it is isn't it.....Haven't seen any deals in Anchorage....:) Many of the ulu's that you buy in tourist stores won't hold up to use, and many are made in China. Ulu knives at the Ulu store in Anchorage are well made. Been using mine for years...still has an edge to it...It can skin a caribou and filet a salmon, but it used daily to chop herbs like parsley.....

There were really deep discounts at the Alaska T-Shirt store right near the dock in Skagway. Baseball hats were $1.99. Made in Alaska boxed ulu knives were about $12. Made in Alaska birch salad tongs in the shape of whale fins were $12 (50% off). Basically everything was 50% off. The discounts at Tongass in Ketchikan were not as deep as the T-Shirt store in Skagway. Oh, I wish I had looked upstairs in the outfitters store! I didn't know they hade cooking grade ulu knives up there. Oh, well....

Be careful and read the boxes for the made in Alaska label. Even if you are getting the tourist pre-packaged ulu knives, they have ones made in Alaska but you have to read the label. There is a polar bear mark for made in Alaska products.

Archived