Whats your "must buy" item from Ensenada?

Kajunswty

The strangest souvenirs I saw in Ensenada years ago were taxidermied frogs playing guitars and wearing serapis and sombreros.

Thanks…sounds like a great gag gift!

I always buy my vanilla there. Tequilla, of course, many brands not available in the states. Also, kalua.

We bought vanilla from Cozumel a couple of trips ago and I don’t think I ever opened it LOL tequila is already on his shopping list! He likes one that is banana infused, im a patron girl myself :)

Nothing

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haha…so are you saying I’m not missing much?

I always buy my vanilla there...

Be VERY careful about buying "vanilla" at tourist places in Mexico. Do a little research on the internet first. The problem is that some manufacturers of vanilla products in Mexico add coumarin, which is banned by the FDA because it can cause liver and kidney damage.

Go to the Gigante for tequila (large chain grocery store). Half a block east of the main drag. One or two blocks south of Hussongs. If you've been to any Mexican port you've seen all the stuff Ensenada has.

We like to get chocolate tequila. Very good in milkshakes.:D

Go to the Gigante for tequila (large chain grocery store). Half a block east of the main drag. One or two blocks south of Hussongs. If you've been to any Mexican port you've seen all the stuff Ensenada has.

There are two markets a block up from Ave Lopez on Gastellum.

Soriana and a new Calimax.

There are two markets a block up from Ave Lopez on Gastellum.

Soriana and a new Calimax.

YEP

I said Gigante, I meant Soriana. Not sure where the Gigante is........

But, at the SORIANA, the better tequila is locked up in cabinets near the cash register (last time I was there). They give you a fair peso exchange and I've never been afraid to use a CC there.

YEP

I said Gigante, I meant Soriana. Not sure where the Gigante is........

But, at the SORIANA, the better tequila is locked up in cabinets near the cash register (last time I was there). They give you a fair peso exchange and I've never been afraid to use a CC there.

IIRC the Gigante is waaaay further up Gastellum.

There is another, larger Calimax located further inland, but easily walkable. From port turn into town on the first light (There will be a large white hotel to your right) It is located between the fifth and sixth streets. You can see the (just) sign from the light.

Be careful in Ensenada. The sidewalks are dangerous. The main tourist street and the roads leading up to it are OK. But the others have many potholes, utility boxes and at least one unprotected basement stairwell.:eek:

What to eat---

Can eat at the several places at the end of the Fish Market.

We like Taquiero Lindo (next to Hussong's) for tacos then a few doors down to the paleta shop for popsicles. Martin at Taquiero Lindo also makes a very good Margarita.

Hacienda for their chickens- can't miss it because the chickens are rotissiering over wood in the front window.

El Mesa (meson?) de Don Fernando for their Molcajete. Food cooked and served in a lava bowl, enough for 2 or 3.

There is a Gordita shop close to the tourist area. Do a forum search for 'gordita'. It will pop up.

Archived