Another upgrade myth?

Pettifogger

When we started sailing in 1988 -- we had an inside--no upgrade, next cruise OV, no upgrade, missed a few years, better circumstances booked a veranda - no upgrade. Two cruises later -- an upsell offer - declined, the next upsell was waay better took it.

No way to know about the upgrade/upsell fairy.

Did you pick a room or go with a guarantee?

I'm not sure when the upgrade fairies decide to play - but it's not only for first timers. We've sailed 4 times on HAL with 2 upgrades. On our last cruise on the Eurodam we booked MM guarantee, got an upsell for $99 to a VF, ended up in a Neptune Suite.

That is really something. I would love to have that happen. I would still say you are a newbie with 4 cruises.

I have never met said upgrade fairy...I'm not sure she exists!;)

I almost met the upsell fairy a few years ago on the Carnival Ecstasy. She called to tell me I could upgrade from a Grand Suite to the Owner's Suite...for $1,000 per day!:eek: I had to decline the request to meet and send that fairy to make new friends!:p

I'm glad you declined because that upsell fairy called me and I accepted her offer for that Owner's Suite on the Ecstasy! :D

Yes, I know that price was ridiculously high but it was our anniversary and I wanted to surprise my wife.

I wish you could have seen the look of delight on her face when we stepped into that suite! It was priceless and so worth it!

Now I'm doing research for a cruise that is still a couple of years away. I'm planning to try to surprise her again!

I'm glad you declined because that upsell fairy called me and I accepted her offer for that Owner's Suite on the Ecstasy! :D

Yes, I know that price was ridiculously high but it was our anniversary and I wanted to surprise my wife.

I wish you could have seen the look of delight on her face when we stepped into that suite! It was priceless and so worth it!

Now I'm doing research for a cruise that is still a couple of years away. I'm planning to try to surprise her again!

That's so sweet! She's a lucky lady.

I don't think anyone can figure out the upsell/upgrade fairy.

DH and I have gotten upsell offers on some cruises and not on others.

Last year we did a guarantee (SC) and were assigned an SA so ugrades can happen even to 4* mariners;)

lorekauf,

I'm being nosey, curious, so feel free to decline my request if you wish.....I can't recall if your recent PH stay was an upsell or upgrade? What a great, fun experience that must have been!

Double upsell. Oh how I wished it was an upgrade.

We've received upgrades when we've had to book GUAR. These were longer cruises and we were just on for just half the cruise. Our very first cruise on HAL, we were boarding in Barcelona and had booked a D cabin. We were upgraded to an A! Maybe there are surprises like that for first timers! :D

Before they started the star system, we got an upsell from SS to SA. HAL had taken over our reservation when our TA went belly up. Changed TA, so that one cruise is the only one with HAL directly.

However, last year (4-star mariners), we were surprised at check-in to be upgraded to an SA. it was great because it was it was to Hawaii with 9 sea days! :D

Were you able to get a lower price on your cabin given the price drop? If not, I would consider rebooking as the GTY. Not much to lose, unless you rally like your assigned cabin location. If you rebook, be sure you are still getting any OBC that you originally had, as sometimes these "go away" with a new booking.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

GTY was at the same price as our original cabin and we have OBC from a sale when we booked so there was no benefit to be had by changing to GTY except for the possibility of an upgrade (and there have been a couple of reviews saying there are a couple of maintenance issues that may not be fixed before we sail...not major things) Our current cabin is 3 from the little aft deck that rarely gets used so we figure its like an extra extended balcony!

We just booked the Holiday sailing for the Amsterdam out of San Diego. We booked an inside cat I GTY. So I am hoping..... :) that the only GTY upgrade we could get would be to move to an outside room. Also there are only 6 or 7 Cat I cabins on the ship.... I think if the upgrade fairy does strike, we should be more likely to get moved to an outside cabin... but who knows right?

Archived