Another upgrade myth?

Pettifogger

Some have suggested that upgrades go to those who paid more for their cabins and that sounds fair so it seemed very likely.

I often pick European cruises that many others don't seem to find attractive, maybe because sometimes they're more expensive, especially when the airfare is considered. (It's not that I'm a big spender, but I'm more value-conscious than price-conscious.) As a result there seem to be more vacancies than on most cruises.

We have never concerned ourselves much with the possibility of an upgrade because any cabin on the Prinsendam or Amsterdam is good enough for us, but that doesn't mean that when it happened once, we didn't enjoy it and, on that occasion, we paid as little as we ever have.

But we now have a cruise booked for which we paid almost twice as much as those who booked later and we got a cabin with a number about as high as cabin numbers come, so obviously the price paid was not the criterion. Nevertheless, we're happy with our cabin and some people wouldn't be, so, in that respect, the upgrade criteria seem to be working well enough even though they're as mysterious or more mysterious than ever.

Yeah, I've heard lots of stories. The best ones are from people in "the know". I've found those to hold about as much water as any other theory. I had a cruise on the Veendam to Bermuda. Some had booked early and paid more (me). I'm also a 4 star. There were also those that were new cruisers, some that had some days with Hal, some that booked early, some that booked late. We all got pushed up the food chain just as much relative to which level we booked. So much for theories.

The truthful workings of the upgrade fairy are a mystery to us.

If someone ever gets the real 'nitty gritty', they'll make a lot of money selling it to us. :D

Where's the line for buying? ;)

We had an upgrade on our first cruise (another "first-timer's get everything"). We went from a G (partially obstructed oceanview) on the Zuiderdam, and wound up in a VB verandah.

Where's the line for buying? ;)

We had an upgrade on our first cruise (another "first-timer's get everything"). We went from a G (partially obstructed oceanview) on the Zuiderdam, and wound up in a VB verandah.

We went from VF to SY! Only happened once & we don't expect it to happen again. It was really nice that time, since I was traveling with my mom who turned 92 during the cruise.

I think you both should have bought a lotto ticket. How nice that happened for your mom. I hope my mom will be around as long. I'll be lost without her.

If one believes much of what has been written here on CC and also 2 of our TAs, the best way to get a free upgrade on HA is to be a first-time HA cruiser. If you are a 3 or 4 Star Mariner the chances apparently are not nearly as good.

Hank

Don't know either. We got tired of all the pricing games.

Now that we are free to travel when we wish, we generally book within or just outside the cancellation window. There are lots of places to go on our list so we just select based on the best opportunity at that point in time.

A former HAL employee and CC member, DutchByAssociation, has said that "other things being equal" the person who paid more will get some priority. That is, if you booked a VF at full price and someone else booked a VF at a Flash Sale price, you would be more likely to get the upgrade. But price is just one factor.

When we first started cruising and booked guarantees, we did end up in some nice cabins. But we also got the worst one on Maasdam with a port hole. I did have to use meclazine everyday on that cruise.

Now we book a cabin number we really like and mark 'no upgrade' but we would still love to get an upsell offer. Just never happens. Maybe next cruise.....

I have noticed that more people who have just started cruising on HAL seem to be getting the upgrades.

On our first 2 cruises, we were upgraded from VA to a Neptune Suite.

Yes, both times!

I don't think we can wish for anymore upgrades.

The truthful workings of the upgrade fairy are a mystery to us.

If someone ever gets the real 'nitty gritty', they'll make a lot of money selling it to us. :D

I have never met said upgrade fairy...I'm not sure she exists!;)

I almost met the upsell fairy a few years ago on the Carnival Ecstasy. She called to tell me I could upgrade from a Grand Suite to the Owner's Suite...for $1,000 per day!:eek: I had to decline the request to meet and send that fairy to make new friends!:p

I have never met said upgrade fairy...I'm not sure she exists!;)

I almost met the upsell fairy a few years ago on the Carnival Ecstasy. She called to tell me I could upgrade from a Grand Suite to the Owner's Suite...for $1,000 per day!:eek: I had to decline the request to meet and send that fairy to make new friends!:p

Yikes! 1K/day! Was that supposed to be a good deal?

The caller seemed to think so, but apparently we don't have the same definition of "deal"!:o. The thing that makes it even more astonishing is that on Carnival there aren't any perks that come with that fare, just more real estate. There aren't any lounges, butlers, parties, or special breakfast locations. It was only a 5 day holiday cruise on a small old ship...just a quick and easy way to get out of town for a few days. An extra thousand dollars a day? We had a good laugh about that!

We have a BB Verandah Suite booked on Volendam next year, it was the last one available. Some time after we booked the category came up for sale as a GTY, my husband thought we should put our name in the pot and see what came out. I passed the message on to our TA and she rang HAL who said, no point, they are down for a complimentary upgrade anyway so it won't make a difference. TA took this to mean we are going to be upgraded I take it that we have ticked the "move us if you want to" box.

Anyone shed any light on who is likely to be right? The cruise is six months away but already heavily booked.

We have only cruised HAL once before so have lowly status;)

We have a BB Verandah Suite booked on Volendam next year, it was the last one available. Some time after we booked the category came up for sale as a GTY, my husband thought we should put our name in the pot and see what came out. I passed the message on to our TA and she rang HAL who said, no point, they are down for a complimentary upgrade anyway so it won't make a difference. TA took this to mean we are going to be upgraded I take it that we have ticked the "move us if you want to" box.

Anyone shed any light on who is likely to be right? The cruise is six months away but already heavily booked.

Ugh....I wish TAs wouldn't say things like "we are going to be upgraded". Sure there is a chance and indeed based on the TA's experience there's maybe even a good one but to make it sound like an absolute is a bit irresponsible. The truth is nobody knows for sure. You can read hundreds, maybe even thousands, of posts here with all sorts of theories and experiences that range from some frequently being upgraded to sometimes being upgraded to never being upgraded. The best thing I can say is that at least you've indicated your willingness to be upgraded.

TA's comments were water off a ducks back, we are happy with what we have...if anything else came up it would be a bonus! I did think th wording from the HAL girl was a bit odd though!

While not impossible you are more likely to get an upgrade with a guarantee then if you select a room.

Were you able to get a lower price on your cabin given the price drop? If not, I would consider rebooking as the GTY. Not much to lose, unless you rally like your assigned cabin location. If you rebook, be sure you are still getting any OBC that you originally had, as sometimes these "go away" with a new booking.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

When we started sailing in 1988 -- we had an inside--no upgrade, next cruise OV, no upgrade, missed a few years, better circumstances booked a veranda - no upgrade. Two cruises later -- an upsell offer - declined, the next upsell was waay better took it.

No way to know about the upgrade/upsell fairy.

Archived