Comparing Holland America and Princess

ladybird1956

[I do not like MUTS, so HAL not having that isn't an issue with us. Not sure if the Pacific has an IC-International Café- but those are great places. HAL doesn't have those.

...sorry for being so ignorant, and I know I'm going to kick myself when I find out, but...MUTS?

Movies Under The Stars

A big electroinc screen over a pool area which shows movies, old concerts, and sporting events.

Pacific Princess was our first modern cruise ship and we loved her, especially the layout on the pool / buffet deck with the aft facing dining area and shady tables by the pool for leisurely lunches. Much quicker tendering on the smaller ship if your itinerary has tender ports. I agree with other posters that service on both lines is about the same and with the differences pointed out by Pan and Marian. We really liked the more relaxed vibe on the smaller Princess ship, which suited our Pacific island itinerary better than the larger HAL or Princess ships we have tried.

The Canaletto is a lovely Sabatini's-like dinner with no extra charge. Make a reservation ahead of time.

Canaletto's is a nice restaurant but I believe Holland has started a Charge for this ($10.00Per Passenger?)

It used to be one of my favorite dining spots.. when it was NO charge.

Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate it. Now to sit down and decide if we want to travel over Passover. But that is another story. You've all given me some interesting information and peace of mind.

Matzoh is available.

Pam, at what times is the HAL buffet closed? We like to eat any time we want.

In October we will be taking our first longish HAL cruise and we booked it based on price, itinerary and the fact that we could take our own wine on board. Of course, they have recently change their policy effective 1/31/14 so it will probably be our last HAL cruise.

We just returned from Princess cruise to Alaska where we took a whole case of wine on board in a wine check bag, and paid corkage fees on all the bottles, save two. They did, however, stamp all 12 bottles in the case. I really liked that procedure because we could then take our wine with us anywhere we desired on the ship.

We also spoke to many people who had wine in their carry-on luggage and were fully prepared to pay a corkage fee but were never charged. Since we had adjoining balconies with our friends, we had wine parties on our decks drinking their unstamped wine on the balconies and took our stamped wine to share at dinner. ;)

For those of us to whom the rules about smoking on balconies/verandahs are of concern (one way or the other), Princess now forbids smoking there while HAL allows it.

John

For us, this is a reason we are doing our 2nd cruise and perhaps other future cruises with Princess. We are very green when it comes to cruises, but Princess had a way to draw us back.

We just returned from Princess cruise to Alaska where we took a whole case of wine on board in a wine check bag, and paid corkage fees on all the bottles, save two. They did, however, stamp all 12 bottles in the case. I really liked that procedure because we could then take our wine with us anywhere we desired

The HAL buffet closes at 8pm. While it is closed on and off throughout the day, there is always a station or two (like the made to order fresh pasta station, which is divine) open.

I'm glad that, after all the angst, the new wine policy works. I am most looking forward to exactly what you said...I can take a bottle of wine to Skywalkers pre-dinner, then to dinner, then have it stored for me, without having to "sneak".

HAL has a more traditional cruise feel than Princess. HAL, for me, has been more comparable to Celebrity, while Princess has been more comparable to RC's smaller ships. They all offer something I like better than the others, and things I don't like as much, but I've never had a bad experience on any of those four cruise lines.

I think they are charging for Caneletto now. 3 years ago on the Maasdam they weren't, but last year on the Noordam they were.

Yes, they recently started charging $10 per person (3 and 4 Star Mariners get discounts) in Caneletto. Unfortunately, they have yet to upgrade the menu so one can easily argue its not worth the money.

Hank

Bummer. It was free on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam 1-2 years ago.

That is a bummer. It was free last April when we did the Panama Canal. funny thing, there were rarely many people eating there when I went by, so why start charging? Must have picked up in popularity.

Just returned from our 12th cruise which was also our first Princess cruise on Royal Princess. While the ship itself was beautiful we will not cruise Princess again unfortunately. I know food is subjective but we did not find it as enjoyable as HAL or Celebrity (one example, last night dinner had veal sweetbreads as one of 3 appetizers and one of the 2 soups had tripe in it....was hard pressed to find something I really liked and we are not picky). We really missed having decent room service at breakfast as we could only get pastries and cereals etc., nothing hot. Lots of small things that bugged us, none significant on their own but when added together became irritating, but I heard the same thing from Princess cheerleaders on board with us. Lots of Princess people on these boards have said that if first time cruisers did the Royal they most likely would not do another Princess cruise and sadly that is the case with us. We will stick with HAL and Celebrity in future.

Good luck with whatever line you choose....there is definitely something for everyone out there and to us, cruising is the ideal vacation!

I know food is subjective but we did not find it as enjoyable as HAL or Celebrity (one example, last night dinner had veal sweetbreads as one of 3 appetizers and one of the 2 soups had tripe in it....was hard pressed to find something I really liked and we are not picky).
Sorry you didn't enjoy the food on Princess. One of the things I like about Princess over HAL and Celebrity is how flexible they are if you want to order something off-menu. You can ask to see the next night's menu and if you don't see something you like, ask to have something prepared that you do like.

I'm a Princess girl, but I spotted a sale I couldn't resist on HAL. I'm spending 14 days on the Ryndam in Greece and Turkey. One difference that I discovered since I've been reading HAL boards is meaningful to me. HAL always has a Catholic priest on board who says Mass most mornings and on Sunday afternoon on disembarkation days. I'm looking forward to that.

The HAL buffet closes at 8pm. While it is closed on and off throughout the day, there is always a station or two (like the made to order fresh pasta station, which is divine) open.

I'm glad that, after all the angst, the new wine policy works. I am most looking forward to exactly what you said...I can take a bottle of wine to Skywalkers pre-dinner, then to dinner, then have it stored for me, without having to "sneak".

When it closes at 8 (its also been 9 on one of our cruises) then the only place you can get food is to order room service (and be prepared to wait about an hour for delivery). We think that the thinking on HA is that 98% of their passengers are in bed by 9 so why keep the buffet open.

Hank

When it closes at 8 (its also been 9 on one of our cruises) then the only place you can get food is to order room service (and be prepared to wait about an hour for delivery).
I've had some bad experiences with that 8pm buffet closing time. :( Once, we got there at 7:15pm, waited in line 10 minutes to place our entree order and then sat at a table with our appetizers. My friends were served their entrees but mine wasn't served until 7:55pm. I was talking so I didn't cut into my chicken for a couple of minutes. When I did, I discovered that it was still raw and uncooked inside. I like rare meat but draw the line at red, bloody chicken. I tried taking it back to be cooked but the Maitre d' said they were closed and refused to have it cooked. At 8:01, there was no salad, dessert or anything else to eat. So, all I'd had was a small salad. Another time on a different HAL cruise, my friend and I got there just after 7pm, ordered our entrees and got our appetizers. And waited, waited some more, and kept waiting. At 8pm, we went to the Maitre d' and asked when we'd be getting our dinner. He told us that we already had our entrees and had been served 20 minutes before. He even showed us the order sheet noting the time we were supposedly served. We were out of luck. No food, buffet was closed. Both times, we went back to one of our cabins and ordered room service. Still had great cruises but HAL isn't kidding around about the 8pm buffet closing. Edited by Pam in CA

I know food is subjective but we did not find it as enjoyable as HAL or Celebrity (one example, last night dinner had veal sweetbreads as one of 3 appetizers and one of the 2 soups had tripe in it.

Just to prove your point about subjectivity, I would LOVE to find sweetbreads and tripe on the menu! Throw in some kidneys too, and I'll sign up for that cruise.

I'm a Princess girl, but I spotted a sale I couldn't resist on HAL. I'm spending 14 days on the Ryndam in Greece and Turkey. One difference that I discovered since I've been reading HAL boards is meaningful to me. HAL always has a Catholic priest on board who says Mass most mornings and on Sunday afternoon on disembarkation days. I'm looking forward to that.

That is also significant to me. It has been one of the main things that I miss on Princess. I think HAL is one of very few lines, if not the only line, that still offers a daily Mass.

• 6 months later...

Don't know but last year April was that way and our recent cruise a couple of weeks ago the same.

The only change now in the buffet, you don't have to order your main course.

It is served to you while you are in line. Don't know if all ships do that but it was that way on The Veendam recently.They have the four main course items on display. You select which one and all the sides are there , you chose and server puts on your plate.

I like the buffet much better on Princess, much more choices and better tasting.Also, except for the carving area, you serve yourself on everything.

On Holland America, a portion of Buffet opened at 11:00pm for late night snack. Didn't do us any good, we were in bed by then.

Bad thing, after the show we like to go upstairs and have tea before bed.

There isn't even a cookie available, nothing.

Holland America has the Deck party one night of cruise and still has

food there. Mostly desserts and small finger foods . This starts at 9:00PM.

And lots of drinking, plenty of bar staff hustling.

I've had some bad experiences with that 8pm buffet closing time. :( Once, we got there at 7:15pm, waited in line 10 minutes to place our entree order and then sat at a table with our appetizers. My friends were served their entrees but mine wasn't served until 7:55pm. I was talking so I didn't cut into my chicken for a couple of minutes. When I did, I discovered that it was still raw and uncooked inside. I like rare meat but draw the line at red, bloody chicken. I tried taking it back to be cooked but the Maitre d' said they were closed and refused to have it cooked. At 8:01, there was no salad, dessert or anything else to eat. So, all I'd had was a small salad. Another time on a different HAL cruise, my friend and I got there just after 7pm, ordered our entrees and got our appetizers. And waited, waited some more, and kept waiting. At 8pm, we went to the Maitre d' and asked when we'd be getting our dinner. He told us that we already had our entrees and had been served 20 minutes before. He even showed us the order sheet noting the time we were supposedly served. We were out of luck. No food, buffet was closed. Both times, we went back to one of our cabins and ordered room service. Still had great cruises but HAL isn't kidding around about the 8pm buffet closing.

All I can say is Wow! :eek: