RCCL New Smoking Policy

rvlandandsea

Great News... Won't be long before we can cruise on most (and in time, all) major lines where smoking in staterooms and on balconies is prohibited.:)

Just like gay marriage and pot laws... times are slowly changing (even though time itself seems to be speeding up)!

Tom

I wonder if Simon Weir's move from Celebrity to RCL had any impact on this decision?

Simon Weir

Director of Hotel Operations, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd

Miami, Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area) Hospitality

I wonder if Simon Weir's move from Celebrity to RCL had any impact on this decision?

It may have had some impact, but I suspect that when Disney announced they would no longer allow smoking on their ships' balconies, Royal felt it was a good time to act. I also suspect some other cruise lines will soon follow such as HAL...maybe even Carnival in the future.

I'm so glad about this change. Since RCI is sailing year round out of Galveston, it's a good option for an inexpensive last minute cruise for me. The old rules were in affect in April and the balcony was almost unusable. There was a grandmother next door to us who spent hours each day and evening on the balcony w/ grandkids in her lap and she smoked like a chimney. ANd she either sat or stood at the divider and she'd flick the ashes onto our balcony. I wondered why there was ash on our balcony all the time until I caught her arm coming over to our side of the divider and she used our balcony as an ashtray. I was LIVID and um...er.... made my displeasure known. She didn't do it again but the constant smoke still made our balcony useless. I love the RCI Diamond balcony discount and it's even better when you actually can USE your balcony.

When the last Hotels stop all smoking it will happen on ships. Why? Money, much cheaper to take care of inside ships and rooms. This is why so many Hotels are changing. Carnival because of average age will be the last to change, but because of the Clean Air Act, soon most ships will be like Celebrity. Thanks RCI for changing! Might even go back to them for a trial.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already but I've just read some RCI promo literature on Quantum and it appears there is a change in the policy on smoking on balconies.

Hopefully the link will work but I've copied the bit below about smoking allowed on balconies -

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/Quantum_FAQs.pdf

The smoking policy is the same on Quantum of the Seas as it is on all other Royal Caribbean ships. Guests are allowed to smoke cigarettes and cigars in designated areas of the ship.

All of our staterooms are non-smoking. However, guests are allowed to smoke on their balconies

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already but I've just read some RCI promo literature on Quantum and it appears there is a change in the policy on smoking on balconies.

Hopefully the link will work but I've copied the bit below about smoking allowed on balconies -

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/Quantum_FAQs.pdf

The smoking policy is the same on Quantum of the Seas as it is on all other Royal Caribbean ships. Guests are allowed to smoke cigarettes and cigars in designated areas of the ship.

All of our staterooms are non-smoking. However, guests are allowed to smoke on their balconies

Look at the date of the document, 5/23/2013. Before the change in policy announcement.