Royal Caribbean Bans Smoking on Balconies

LauraS

Well I am on the explorer in 3 weeks. I will look around and see if any camera's are facing my balcony. If so, I will just toss a towel on it..........lol.

Or even better, I will hold up a sign that I am being held hostage by a balcony smoker........help.....help...help.

They exist. I don't know about the view aft of the hump but the forward cabins are covered by cameras mounted on the ends of the bridge. Call me crazy but I think they're there to cover someone falling overboard, watching the tenders, etc. I think the bridge crew has better things to do than police balcony smoking. :) And besides, I'm sure they've seen worse. Much much worse ;)

Stubborn smokers (like me) will give up on the RCI brand. I have already cancelled the three cruises I had scheduled in 2014.

I sail on the Allure on Sunday and on the Brilliance over Christmas. I have cashed in all of my points from my RCI Visa card to use on the December cruise.

It has long been know that the anti-smoking crowd is more vocal objecting to smoking than the smokers are trying to preserve it. The writing has been on the wall for some time now. I expect the other cruise lines will follow RCI's decision in time.

But there are plenty of non-cruising vacation alternatives from all-in-one vacations sites to regular tourist areas across the USA and around the world. We will probably stay home and save our money next year. I really need a barn and the cost of our remaining two cruises would have paid for it.

I will start a "Live From..." post for our Allure Cruise tomorrow before we leave to drive to Fort Lauderdale. I will do my last one from an RCI ship in December.

For those of you who have enjoyed the Live Reports, check out my BLOG-like threads in the "Friends of Cruise Critic" section linked below. Many people asked me to start one and CC made it possible. My main thread about "Our New House In the Country" is now well over 100,000 views and has more than 1,500 posts.

I am sure that RCI will do well without me and my fellow smokers because they offer an excellent product at a reasonable price.

It has been great cruising with RCI but sooner or later, most good things some to an end.

Sad to hear the train man 2 live reviews on rci are coming to an end, but I will make sure to thoroughly enjoy your next one, since you are leaving on my birthday--thanks for the "gift"! --and we're cruising on allure in 2 short months! Safe travels to you and Judith and thanks again for the hours of enjoyment you've provided in your live reviews. Looking forward to subscribing to your thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry, I forgot to include the link...

For those of you who have enjoyed the Live Reports, check out my BLOG-like threads in the "Friends of Cruise Critic" section linked below. Many people asked me to start one and CC made it possible. My main thread about "Our New House In the Country" is now well over 100,000 views and has more than 1,500 posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=846

As an ex-smoker' date=' 35 years a smoker, the smell of cigarette smoke outside doesn't bother me. However when the smoker drops into the seat next to me with the old smokey clothes on and the butt breath I really want to pass out.

If you don't think smoking stinks...quit for a couple of days and then stick your head in your closet. I guarantee you'll never pick up another turd.

Cured me.[/quote']

Absolutely agree. I never realized it until I quit.

Was talking to a reliable source today regarding this topic. He stated that RCI is taking a lot of heat for this total balcony ban. He also stated that some modifications to the recent smoking policy change is going to be made. He didn't want to be any more specific at this time. But he did say their is going to be some kind of stay of execution.

How disappointing to hear this.:(

Stubborn smokers (like me) will give up on the RCI brand. I have already cancelled the three cruises I had scheduled in 2014.

I sail on the Allure on Sunday and on the Brilliance over Christmas. I have cashed in all of my points from my RCI Visa card to use on the December cruise.

It has long been know that the anti-smoking crowd is more vocal objecting to smoking than the smokers are trying to preserve it. The writing has been on the wall for some time now. I expect the other cruise lines will follow RCI's decision in time.

But there are plenty of non-cruising vacation alternatives from all-in-one vacations sites to regular tourist areas across the USA and around the world. We will probably stay home and save our money next year. I really need a barn and the cost of our remaining two cruises would have paid for it.

I will start a "Live From..." post for our Allure Cruise tomorrow before we leave to drive to Fort Lauderdale. I will do my last one from an RCI ship in December.

I am sure that RCI will do well without me and my fellow smokers because they offer an excellent product at a reasonable price.

It has been great cruising with RCI but sooner or later, most good things some to an end.

With you Trainman. Agree completely. Enjoyed your blogs in the past. You have been a great supporter of the RCL line.

Was talking to a reliable source today regarding this topic. He stated that RCI is taking a lot of heat for this total balcony ban. He also stated that some modifications to the recent smoking policy change is going to be made. He didn't want to be any more specific at this time. But he did say their is going to be some kind of stay of execution.

I sure hope they don't change a thing!

IMHO, the only heat they should consider is the e-cig ban. I feel the number of cancellations happening right now is probably pretty common right after a massive policy change. I would think that after the first wave of cancellations take place, they will see an uptick in bookings coming from CCL. NCL and HAL along with people returning from lines that have a similar smoking policy where people would rather cruise RCI and changed because RCI did allow smoking on the balconies and now they don't.

Gregg

I called Carnival and talked to a supervisor they are NOT going to stop the smoking on balconies anytime soon because they are getting so many Royal people coming over. They have Princes for there non-smokers.

And I'm sure you can count on that:rolleyes:

I hope they stick to their guns. But if it's true (this board as an example) that so many people would actually cancel/change their plans just because they cant smoke on a balcony, I guess it's possible they will cave.

I wouldn't make any rash decision just yet. I heard through a reliable source that some modifications to the new policy change are in the works.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Interesting. Surely this wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that so many are cancelling their future cruises? According to so many non-smokers, they found it laughable and one even said people who were cancelling were lying.

Maybe smokers don't complain as loudly as non-smokers but when push comes to shove and smokers take their money elsewhere....maybe people are starting to listen and rethink some of their decisions.

I hope your news is correct and I'm quite curious to see what happens since I already cancelled two RCCL cruises for 2014 and haven't decided whether to rebook with another line or just take a land based vacation.

But most of that 20-30% (if that number is correct) aren't in the U.S. And I think most of us are addressing U.S. based cruises, not Asian ones.

True. US is around 20% depending on which data you choose. But.. Voyager class ship = 3138 passengers 3138x.2= 627 smokers onboard. Let's say 20% of them don't book balconies. That leaves 502 smokers that would typically book a balcony stateroom. I'm going to assume that none of them are wealthy enough to book a balcony cabin solo, so at the least there are 2 people booked.

<popping over to the RCCL website and picking a random cruise on a Voyager class ship>

Barring sales, a 7 night cruise on Adventure Of The Seas starts at $879pp for a balcony. For 2 people that cabin brings in $1758. 1758x502= $882516. That's not chump change.

I'm not saying that the cabins won't be booked anyway. What I am saying is that RCCL looked carefully at the numbers. They didn't just do this out of some sort of random act of kindness.

Please make sure this ban is enforced.

I have only had a balcony once and never had a problem. I do have to admit that I was getting concerned for my upcoming trip in January since all the smoking threads worked me into a panic. I am happy that I will not have this worry.

I hope it's true!! I'm hoping Royal is finally looking at both sides!!!

After reading these posts for the last two days and thinking about it, I feel like I was duped. I booked a cruise, balcony stateroom so I could smoke when I felt like it, a year out. The smoking policy change had happened already but no one knew about it. I even spoke to the certified vacation planner at RC, he said he hadn't heard of any changes. Not knowing about the changes me and I am sure many other people booked a balcony stateroom so that they could smoke. It costs more. We should have had the choice, no balcony, lower fare or another cruise line. When the smoking was banned inside the stateroom but allowed on the balcony, I felt that was a fair compromise, which by the way forced us to book a balcony stateroom at a higher price. My cruise involves another person so it wouldn't be fair to cancel. I will use all of my Visa card points on this last cruise and bid RC a fair adeiu.:mad:

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the initial question. The initial question was what happens after January 1 with the new policy. If folks have already said they are not going to be around after January 1, 2014, I'm not sure why they are weighing in on this thread to make points that they have made on other threads multiple times.

I hope they stick to their guns. But if it's true (this board as an example) that so many people would actually cancel/change their plans just because they cant smoke on a balcony, I guess it's possible they will cave.

...or hopefully they are smart enough to realize the cancelations are just a temporary thing. RCI takes numerous cancelations every day for a variety of reasons. This particular reason will be very short lived.

Very happy!!

I know some people wear too much perfume (myself included), also the drunks are loud, however, it does not affect anyone's health. I had a balcony on the Carnival Breeze (first carnival cruise) and the neighbors smoked all the time and you certainly get the second had smoke.

Sorry, but alot of lung cancer victims are non-smokers. They are paying the price for the DISGUSTING addiction of others.

When you have someone you care about die of lung cancer when they don't smoke, you will understand where I am coming from.

Good riddance!!!

Archived