Musings from a Oceania cheerleader -- just off Azamara Journey

pacheco18

I am just off the Azamara Journey and I want to share my impressions of the Azamara R ship experience compared to the Oceania R ship experience. Bottom line, there is very little difference and what differences there are are quite small. I loved Amazara and as an R ship devotee, I am thrilled to have two great cruise lines to choose from.

When I first boarded the ship it was weird. There I was having lunch in the equivalent of the Terrace Buffet and if I didn't know what ship I had boarded. I might have been on Nautica. Lol. That feeling stayed with me throughout the cruise but there were some differences worth noting and that's what I will focus on (in no particular order of importance).

Ship use of space

Azamara has used Deck 5 brilliantly. Where the Oceania future cruise sales desk sits is a fabulous Barista station and the entire area in front of the shops is the Mosaic Cafe. It is a very popular venue (open from 7 am to midnight). Great lattes, Nespresso drinks, pastries and mini sandwiches and a great place to linger. You can also get an alcoholic drink if you wish. The future cruise person is on deck 4 near reception (and boy was she busy!!). I wish Oceania would put Baristas on deck 5, instead of outside the GDR.

Food

Quite good. Especially the theme buffets. But not quite up to Oceania. We ate in the dining room a few times and in the buffet. We did not eat in the specialty restaurants which carry a charge. One specialty restaurant is Mediterranean and did not get great reports. The steak house (Prime C) got great reviews but we had an opportunity for plenty of red meat in other venues. O cruisers on board said it was equivalent of Polo. Bread is much better on O. Waves grill is better. There were no milk shakes, but great smoothies. Ice cream is better on O. I spent a lot of time talking with the chef.

One thing I did not like about the buffet is that is it self service – an invitation to germs and Norovirus.

There were several special buffets and they were superb. Because my status as Celebrity Elite transferred over, we attended a special champagne brunch in one of the specialty restaurants. Baby lamb and chops duck crepes – just wonderful. It was served by senior officers and the captain visited every table to chat with guests.

Bottom line: - I grew up in NY, have eaten in some greatest restaurants (from French Laundry to Per Se to Alain Ducasse), and attended cooking school in Tuscany. Most Oceania cruisers will be satisfied with the food on Azamara. Only those who “cruise for the food” might not be.

Laundry

Free. For everyone. Our Celebrity Elite perks also gave us two free bags of laundry done by the ship. IMO, O should do away with the small laundry charge.

Internet

Much less expensive.

But our Elite perks gave us 237 minutes of free Internet each so we we paid nothing.

Alcohol

Included and those drinks not included were much less expensive. A daily choice of white or red wine was available and they eagerly give u the day’s wine from another day if u preferrred e.g. Sauvignon Blanc to Chardonnay. Most alcoholic drinks and mixed drinks (non premium brands) are also included. We never took out our sea pass. Our bar bill (OUR ENTIRE BILL) for 12 days was $3.50 (Bob wanted a Corona which was not on the included list).

Stateroom

We booked a deluxe outside for this 12-day port intensive cruise. The staterooms are virtually identical. We had a great cabin steward. TV choices were limited. No free DVD library. The bedding, however, does not compare to Oceania. Alas. Not a deal breaker

Excursions

We did only private tours but azamaraclubcruises excursions are much less expensive than Oceania and you get 25% off if u book in advance. For that reason far fewer Azamara cruisers book private excursions. You could not get me on a big bus at any price. We had a great group of 10 for all of our excursions and the excursions were some of the best I have ever planned.

At every port the officers see u off. Even the captain. And u are greeted with cold towels and drinks upon return. Nice touch

We did not attend the Azamazing Evening held at the Massandra Winery in Yalta. Folks enjoyed it, but we do not do big busses or large groups.

Spa

Elemis Spa much less expensive than o and there were many specials. I did not use the spa.

Entertainment

Just as bad as on Oceania. We skipped most shows. I did miss the string quartet.

Art and Photos

No art auctions. There is a ship photographer there but he was completely unobtrusive -- not at all like photographers on mass-market lines. We were free to skip pictures and the folks who wanted then could partake. No gimmicks or props were used. It was just an available service.

Demographic

Similar to Oceania. We met many who cruise both lines. The guests were neither as well dressed nor as dressed up in the evening as on Oceania. Judging by only this one cruise, I would say O cruisers are more fashionable

On board activities

More and more varied even on port days. There was trivia but no cut throat trivia LOL.

Pool Area

Pool chairs more comfy. Foam pillows on the loungers and very thick towels were delightful. Much better service at pool area. They came around with energy drinks and cold towels.

Gym

ALL classes are free.

The significant difference

I now understand why Cindilouwho and other Azamara cruisers feel that Oceania is more impersonal. It is. And I figured out why. First, the officers are EVERYWHERE. I chatted with most of them repeatedly throughout the cruise. The Captain came to the future cruise presentation and spoke about his favorite itineraries. It was all very natural -- not contrived. Second, the staff on the two Azamara ships DO NOT ROTATE. When you board Journey, e.g., you will see the same folks over and over. And because they do not rotate, they staff is really cohesive and like a family. It is palpable. It felt like more than just great service – it felt like everyone took joy in making you part of the family on board. That does not make the service better on Azamara – it makes it different.

We loved the cruise and the Azamara experience. We booked two future cruise credits. Because Azamara itineraries are shorter, we will likely book a back to back for 2015.

I will happily answer any questions.

I would not want the Cafe by the shops on Oceania as it would interfere with the string quartet in the evenings which is well attended

As for free laundry ..just think of the free for all in the laundry room :eek:...it is fine with the $4 charge

If you can afford to sail on O what is an extra $4 for a load of wash :rolleyes:

JMO

Thanks Laraine, We sailed on the Azamara Quest in 2007 - when it was first sailing. We were very disappointed in the (1) the food in the MDR.. it was not up to O at the time, and we were forced to eat in the specialty restaurants almost every night and it cost $$ extra, and (b) some of the staff, who were rude and not given to suggestions or even queations. At the time there were no drink packages, no internet extras, etc. But there was a CC party with drinks, noshies and a good part of the officer staff, which was a nice touch. We haven't sailed again because we have found the itineraries on O a little more intriguing. However, now that you have given us your "REPORT," which I take very seriously, maybe in the future, we will again try A. From what you have said, they have gotten their act together very nicely. Arlene

Thanks Laraine, We sailed on the Azamara Quest in 2007 - when it was first sailing. We were very disappointed in the (1) the food in the MDR.. it was not up to O at the time, and we were forced to eat in the specialty restaurants almost every night and it cost $$ extra, and (b) some of the staff, who were rude and not given to suggestions or even queations. At the time there were no drink packages, no internet extras, etc. But there was a CC party with drinks, noshies and a good part of the officer staff, which was a nice touch. We haven't sailed again because we have found the itineraries on O a little more intriguing. However, now that you have given us your "REPORT," which I take very seriously, maybe in the future, we will again try A. From what you have said, they have gotten their act together very nicely. Arlene

They really do -- and with some great itineraries.

In response to Lyn

It's not about affording the $4 for the laundry. Just seems to be a silly fee for an upscale line. How much of a profit center could it be? Not a deal breaker -- just my thoughts

As for the use of Deck 5, the Mosaic Cafe may mislead some of you into thinking it is a noisy venue. Not so at all. It is quiet and peaceful -- it's not like a restaurant. The string quartet could easily perform there -- and cruisers could enjoy a latte or a drink while listening. Azamara used to have a pianist there.

A few more things I neglected to mention

EVERYONE gets a really nice Azamara tote bag -- regardless of what cabin you book. Nice touch.

They have umbrellas for the the tables that are at the front of the outside seating areas of what we know as the Terrace so on a hot sunny day those tables are very usable. I do not recall seeing umbrellas ever on the R ships -- I could be wrong. They also left the bar in that area from the Renaissance days (O took it out to increase seating?) - many folks went there for drinks.

The CD was not the regular CD -- but a very talented British fellow and quite visible. He is no Leslie Jon (who is? LOL) but he was very pleasant and was well organized.

Nautica has umbrellas over the tables on the Terrace.

I must admit that was one thing I missed on my first Oceania Cruise on Nautica - the interaction between deck officers and passengers. It struck me as a ship very much of two halves - the ship operational side and the hotel side and the two rarely met, except for the welcome and farewell parties. On most other lines I have sailed with the captain is seen around the ship chatting to passengers etc.

I was on the Quest for it's 3rd sailing, just after having been acquired. They were ok but certainly did not have it together. Nevertheless if the itinerary and date worked for us, judging by what I've read on CC I would try them again.

Is the smoking policy similar to O's? I seem to remember a lot of smoke near the pool, perhaps it was because of where I was sitting.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I was on the Quest for it's 3rd sailing, just after having been acquired. They were ok but certainly did not have it together. Nevertheless if the itinerary and date worked for us, judging by what I've read on CC I would try them again.

Is the smoking policy similar to O's? I seem to remember a lot of smoke near the pool, perhaps it was because of where I was sitting.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Smoking policy is MORe stringent on Azamara

No smoking at all in the equivalent of Horizons

Smoking allowed ONLY in one corner of pool deck

Have done two cruises on Azamara. Last was in 2010 and the mattress was very UNcomfortable. Can you comment on the quality of the bed compared with Oceania?

We have just booked our first cruise on O and are hoping the tranquility beds live up to their name! :)

I was aware that mattresses were a problem on Azamara in the past. They did change out the mattresses in 2011 or 2012. We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home we have no complaint about the mattress. It was fine. Not sure I can compare to Oceania mattress. The bedding, as I mentioned, is far superior on Oceania.

Thanks so much for the review. I am completely at ease now with our B2B sailing on the Quest in 2014. This will be the first time we have sailed on a cruise line other than Oceania. The only things we will miss are the milkshaes and fabulous O beds. I have looked at the Azamara excursions and they are definitely cheaper than O. We have always done our own thing but I would consider a ship excursion given their prices. Did the ship offer shuttles to town or to the nearest public transportation? Thanks.

Laraine,

Sailed on the Journey B2B in July 2013. Can't say enough good things about Azamara. The overnights, late nights and amazing evenings are just what makes Azamara great. O is good, we have been on the R ships, and Riviera. We just booked the Insignia for July 2014. We did this because of the ports, but my heart is with Azamara. I agree with you about the personal attention from staff. Your review was spot on. O new cancel policy is a little strict.

Suzanne

Lady golfer

Thanks so much for the review. I am completely at ease now with our B2B sailing on the Quest in 2014. This will be the first time we have sailed on a cruise line other than Oceania. The only things we will miss are the milkshaes and fabulous O beds. I have looked at the Azamara excursions and they are definitely cheaper than O. We have always done our own thing but I would consider a ship excursion given their prices. Did the ship offer shuttles to town or to the nearest public transportation? Thanks.

There were shuttles, but we have drivers pick us up so I did not pay much attention to them

Thanks for your review!

We've only been on R ships and were on Az one, on Journey two years ago. We felt very much same the way you do, except can comment on the specialty restaurants as we went to both and thought that Aqualina was better than Toscana and Polo was much better than Prime C.

For GDR dining, we also felt that there is a slight difference in food quality overall - on Az, the food was great the first couple of days (better than or equal to O) but as the cruise progressed (it was a 10-night cruise), it regressed to being just "good" to us (never as good as O). So fast start but slowly slipped behind overall.

I don't think O's laundry set-up is viewed as a profit centre or even potentially as one for O, just a balance to deter free-for-alls where people may do small loads every day. I like O's laundry set-up and hope that it remains in place.

The beds on Az were terrible and old, worse than Europe 3-star hotels. We complained to our cabin attendant and got replacement mattresses in good time, but they were only marginally better and since they were the best that they had, we didn't pursue it any further (other than in the comment card which wasn't followed up on). I see that they got new beds, so perhaps this has improved.

The Mosaic cafe is great and open just about all day. This is a definite advantage to Az on this point. I think on our cruise the string quartet played there around dinner time and the bustle in the cafe counter wasn't obtrusive. Certainly the pianist played there while people enjoyed the music and snacked/drank coffee/tea.

Also, there is definitely more officer interaction as well. This is really a preference whether you want that much attention/interaction on a cruise/vacation so it can be a positive or a negative depending on how you view your cruise.

We liked our Az cruise but O is still our preferred line. Thanks again for your review!

Laraine, I know you love the R ships. But I find it hard to get my head around a 175 sq.ft. cabin. I presume that the balcony dimensions are NOT included in this, but still. Are they well laid-out? The smallest stateroom I've ever been in was on the Paul Gauguin, at 200 sq.ft.

Or perhaps you book larger cabins.

Laraine, I know you love the R ships. But I find it hard to get my head around a 175 sq.ft. cabin. I presume that the balcony dimensions are NOT included in this, but still. Are they well laid-out? The smallest stateroom I've ever been in was on the Paul Gauguin, at 200 sq.ft.

Or perhaps you book larger cabins.

Wendy -- you have been spoiled by Regent LOL

Truthfully, we care little about cabin size.

On a short cruise (less than 14 days), we book an outside with no balcony. We are never in the cabin and do not sit on the balcony even when we have one. Just fine with us.

On a cruise longer than 2 weeks, we now book a PH for the extra space.

I care more about the ambiance on the ship than the space in the cabin. Everyone has different priorities.

A

They have umbrellas for the the tables that are at the front of the outside seating areas of what we know as the Terrace so on a hot sunny day those tables are very usable. I do not recall seeing umbrellas ever on the R ships -- I could be wrong. They also left the bar in that area from the Renaissance days (O took it out to increase seating?) - many folks went there for drinks.

I am confused by your description of the outside table do you mean the aft deck ?

There is the pool bar with tables & umbrellas on Oceania

The other table are by Waves but see no way they could put umbrellas there :confused::confused:

In response to Lyn

It's not about affording the $4 for the laundry. Just seems to be a silly fee for an upscale line. How much of a profit center could it be? Not a deal breaker -- just my thoughts

As were they my thoughts as well

I do not see a problem with the fee for the laundry room

YMMD

I am confused by your description of the outside table do you mean the aft deck ?

There is the pool bar with tables & umbrellas on Oceania

The other table are by Waves but see no way they could put umbrellas there :confused::confused:

I am talking about the aft outside area of the Terrace Restaurant (not the pool bar or Waves)

The tables at the very back of the ship are in the sun (no overhang) or awnings.

Azamara had umbrellas for those tables to provide shade when needed. I cannot recall those umbrellas being on Nautica or Insignia. They left the large bar there as well.

I am talking about the aft outside area of the Terrace Restaurant (not the pool bar or Waves)

The tables at the very back of the ship are in the sun (no overhang) or awnings.

Azamara had umbrellas for those tables to provide shade when needed. I cannot recall those umbrellas being on Nautica or Insignia. They left the large bar there as well.

They had them on the Regatta & Insignia on our sailings

Maybe they put them away when you were onboard ;)

I am just off the Azamara Journey and I want to share my impressions of the Azamara R ship experience compared to the Oceania R ship experience. Bottom line, there is very little difference and what differences there are are quite small. I loved Amazara and as an R ship devotee, I am thrilled to have two great cruise lines to choose from.

When I first boarded the ship it was weird. There I was having lunch in the equivalent of the Terrace Buffet and if I didn't know what ship I had boarded. I might have been on Nautica. Lol. That feeling stayed with me throughout the cruise but there were some differences worth noting and that's what I will focus on (in no particular order of importance).

We loved the cruise and the Azamara experience. We booked two future cruise credits. Because Azamara itineraries are shorter, we will likely book a back to back for 2015.

I will happily answer any questions.

We love both Oceania and Azamara equally and would be glad to cruise on either one! Thansk for the great comparison-very balanced.